DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Very interesting arrest of drone pilots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Failure to comply, Obstruction, and a host of other things could appear on your "illegal" ticket. What you think is right is of no consequence.
the cop will win most all arguments before a judge
A; because he knows what to say to defend himself and its his word against yours. And if you are withholding ID, you probably have a record of some sort.
B; Because you are the one that started the problem to begin with by failing to comply with officers requests.

Refusing to identify yourself to a police officer, immediately, when asked to do so, is saying "Please Arrest Me".
No, it is not. We have not yet reached the point of, "Papers please." In America, we are presumed innocent. If they have evidence or probable cause for a felony arrest that's different. Doesn't excuse poor behavior on the citizens part but refusal to identify oneself is not a crime, nor evidence of a crime or criminal behavior.

Among the many youtube videos on this topic you'll find one in which a Marine Veteran is walking down the street in a California town with an AR15 slung over his shoulder. He's obviously wanting to make a point and when the police stop and interview him refuses to identify himself, demonstrates to the officer that he's well within his rights and then continues on his way. The policeman we later find out is also a veteran and comments on all of this. I understand the legalities and the point the vet was making, not how I'd spend my Saturday but to each his own and Semper Fi. I'm so happy I live in a country which still recognizes basic human rights.

Failure to comply, Obstruction, and a host of other things could appear on your "illegal" ticket. What you think is right is of no consequence.
the cop will win most all arguments before a judge
A; because he knows what to say to defend himself and its his word against yours. And if you are withholding ID, you probably have a record of some sort.
B; Because you are the one that started the problem to begin with by failing to comply with officers requests.

In A. you're forgetting our basic presumption of innocence. NOTHING can be inferred by your refusal to provide ID. Officer Friendly will lose this one everytime in a court of law.

Don't you think that these officers showed amazing restraint? Weren't they reasonable? They were honest enough to admit not knowing the intricacies of drone overflights over private properties, and were trying to get information from HQ. They received a complaint that sounded reasonable. My understanding is that police are obligated to investigate complaints to determine the validity of the complaint. And asking for the driver's identification seems entirely reasonable (emphasis on driver). It would be interesting to know what percentage of cases of refusal to provide I.D. ultimately reveal criminality. In England, the rise in such cases is exponential, much of which is attributed to illegally-driven vehicles.

On the other hand, would you want your kids to hear this individual laugh at the police and show incredible disrespect? And then broadcast it to the world so that police face escalating pushback? And more "entitled" done users pushing the limits further, making it more difficult for us to fly our drones?

Every day when an officer goes to work, especially out on the beat, he never knows quite what to expect, and the spectrum includes boring to life-threatentung. And then he comes across someone like this, who helps fuel the anti-drone folks in government and elsewhere, wastes their time and resources, all on our tax bill.

No sympathy from me for these folks. Kudos to the officers.

We should have a AI judge or a actual judge on call. When there is not a threat to the public or private property the police have no more rights than a bum on the street. In this case it was a flock of bums and they act as a mob. In this case the police were trying to be judge and jury. Police were no longer good guys they are guys with guns and should have a judge on call and have the judge decide what is legal and right and wrong.
+1

Every day when an officer goes to work, especially out on the beat, he never knows quite what to expect, and the spectrum includes boring to life-threatentung. And then he comes across someone like this, who helps fuel the anti-drone folks in government and elsewhere, wastes their time and resources, all on our tax bill.

No sympathy from me for these folks. Kudos to the officers.
Being a patrol officer is nowhere near the most dangerous profession. It barely cracks the top 20 of all jobs. Take away traffic accidents and is way down on the list. To put things in perspective, chances of a police officer being killed is 7 in 100,000 vs someone in the logging industry (statistically the most dangerous) is almost 150 in 100,000.
They have an important job to do, all we ask is that they do it correctly and within the law. Nothing more then what many people here are asking of people who fly drones

Failure to cooperate, not the drone flying is what escalated it.

There are no reason to identify themselves. Once again the cops didn't know the law and overstepped their authority.

This kind of crap is going on all over the country, just check Youtube and you will be surprised how often cops are just wrong... I myself have been in situations like this and have followed up by going directly to the police station and complaining to the duty officer about their officer's behavior.

More people need to just stand up and tell this type of power hungry cop to "go Away".

Reactions: bad karma
Being a patrol officer is nowhere near the most dangerous profession. It barely cracks the top 20 of all jobs. Take away traffic accidents and is way down on the list. To put things in perspective, chances of a police officer being killed is 7 in 100,000 vs someone in the logging industry (statistically the most dangerous) is almost 150 in 100,000.
They have an important job to do, all we ask is that they do it correctly and within the law. Nothing more then what many people here are asking of people who fly drones

Amen brother, but that won't happen if the public doesn't hold the accountable...

Reactions: Classic flyer
Well, You may be a criminal they have delt with many times before and they recognize you and pull you over just to say hello and see how you are doing. Then they see the weapon, or smell the drugs, and it goes south from there.
Police dont have time to pick on innocent's If you know anyone that claims to be pulled over for NO reason at all, and it happened to them more than once? THEY are a criminal. Cops only want to work when they HAVE to. Just like anyone else at their day job.

BS!

• Most states in the US do not have laws that prohibit drone pilots from photographing private property.
    Since the police did not give any indication that they suspected the individual of a crime, he was under no legal obligation to provide ID.
  • There is no legal obligation to comply with an illegal order whether it comes from a police officer or not.
  • Being obnoxious, rude, etc. is not a crime and being such does not give a LEO the right to harass or arrest that individual.
  • In most cases, I would simply provide my ID if an officer asked. At my age I am not particularly interested in changing the world. However, if someone else chooses not to comply when it is demanded without cause, then I stand behind them.
  • Those who keep repeating this mantra that we should respect the law, but allow officers to break it sound ridiculous. Pick a position and apply it to all equally.

Reactions: bad karma
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka