DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

VFR Chart with Ruler feature

SAC89

Reactions
Has anyone come across an app that offers a VFR chart with a ruler tool?

I would like to find one that allows me to pinpoint my distance and direction off of a VOR or fix. When I call a local tower advising them that I am operating my drone, I would like to give them a radial and distance off the closest VOR.

SkyVector is the nicest I have seen so far, but no ruler.

Thoughts?

You can download the GeoTiffs HERE and just drag one into Google Earth. Then you can measure whatever you need to, or make the overlay partly transparent to see other features. GE can create a "super overlay", but you are better off selecting the area of interest and importing a smaller section of the chart. You can save it so it's always there.

To get range and bearing between two points in SkyVector:
1. Right click on the VOR or location where you want to fly. A drop down menu gives you nearby chart features and one GPS location, all preceded by a PLAN button. The GPS option is the coordinates of where you clicked. Click the PLAN button for the desired option.
2. Right click at the location for the other end of the desired line. Again select the desired option.
3. A line with the bearing and distance between the two points pops up.
4. Once placed, you can move either end of the line by placing the cursor over the point. Hold the left mouse button and drag the point to the new location. The range and bearing are updated.
4. To delete the line, open the Flight Plan option in the upper left, and delete the line in the displayed box.
5. Clicking on the NavLog button in the Flight Plan box creates a PDF of the details of the created flight path.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scATC1001