DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Vid Quality vs Vid Clip Duration

Chaosrider

Reactions
I know that the max file size on the SD cards is 3.81 GB.

At 1080p, that will produce a clip about 15 minutes long.

At 2.7 K, what's the duration of a 3.81 GB clip?

What about at 4K?

Thx!

TCS

My Mini SE shot a 2.7k last week 13 min 38 sec with file size 3.84GB. The entire shoot was a few minutes longer and the two clips merged seamlessly in DaVinci Resolve.

My Mini SE shot a 2.7k last week 13 min 38 sec with file size 3.84GB. The entire shoot was a few minutes longer and the two clips merged seamlessly in DaVinci Resolve.
Hmmm...perhaps the 1080p duration is longer than I remember.

This would suggest that when I have a 3.8X vid clip that's 6:XX minutes long, that would be 4K, yes?

I'm just trying to benchmark it, with a 3.8X GB vid clip producing:

MM;SS at 1080p

MM:SS at 2.7 K

MM:SS at 4K.

This is coming up for me because I'm finally starting to sort out my 1 TB of drone vids, most of which is crap, and with my current 1080p screen, I can't readily tell the quality difference.

Thx,

TCS

I have a 1080 monitor but I use 2.7k for much better zooming and such in post. No idea regarding 4k.
It can be hard tring to free space by deleting videos. I don't know which ones to keep.

I have a 1080 monitor but I use 2.7k for much better zooming and such in post. No idea regarding 4k.
It can be hard tring to free space by deleting videos. I don't know which ones to keep.
I certainly know THAT problem!

I've "solved" it with a lot of external hard drives. I expect to "keep" all of them in archives, but I've started filtering them down to only keep the ones I'm actually likely to edit/use on the computer itself.

But I have a new 4K TV arriving tomorrow, so I should once again be able to tell the difference! Still, it would be useful to have a numeric based on vid play length.

The obviously solution is to just go out and fly at the different settings and deliberately test it, which I'll do as soon as it warms up a bit...

:)

Thx.

TCS

Reactions: SmilingOgre
I believe it's around 7-8 minutes at 4K if I remember correctly.

I believe it's around 7-8 minutes at 4K if I remember correctly.
I think it's about 6:49.

Unless the universe conspires against me, I should have a droning window in the weather today, so I'll just do the test.

Thx!

TCS

I have done the file size versus time test on my Mavic 2 Pro. All of the tests were done for one minute. The columns if not obvious are: resolution, frame rate, compression, file size, and ratio to the first line. I’m not sure whether the mini 2 would be the same.

4K, 30, 264 765.5 MB 1.00

4K, 30, 265 760.8 MB 0.99

2.7K, 30, 264 380 MB 0.49

HD, 30, 264 265.6 MB 0.35

HD, 60, 264 532.3 MB 0.70

HD, 60, 265 532.9 MB 0.70

Reactions: Faster
I have done the file size versus time test on my Mavic 2 Pro. All of the tests were done for one minute. The columns if not obvious are: resolution, frame rate, compression, file size, and ratio to the first line. I’m not sure whether the mini 2 would be the same.

4K, 30, 264 765.5 MB 1.00

4K, 30, 265 760.8 MB 0.99

2.7K, 30, 264 380 MB 0.49

HD, 30, 264 265.6 MB 0.35

HD, 60, 264 532.3 MB 0.70

HD, 60, 265 532.9 MB 0.70
Hmmm...it takes a bit of mental/mathematical gymnastics to translate this into the data I have, which is total clip duration, but the HD 30 number produces 14:XX minutes, which is comparable to some of the clip play lengths I've seen. The longest ones, IIRC.

I'm going to be a bit more diligent about documenting my next set of tests around this.

Thx!

TCS

Reactions: Camino Ken
Hmmm...it takes a bit of mental/mathematical gymnastics to translate this into the data I have, which is total clip duration, but the HD 30 number produces 14:XX minutes, which is comparable to some of the clip play lengths I've seen. The longest ones, IIRC.

I'm going to be a bit more diligent about documenting my next set of tests around this.

Thx!

TCS
If I understand you correctly the math is easy. A 14 min video with HD resolution and 30 frames per sec would yield 3.717 GB. All my numbers are per minute of video.

If I understand you correctly the math is easy. A 14 min video with HD resolution and 30 frames per sec would yield 3.717 GB. All my numbers are per minute of video.
I figured that out, thanks. I was just trying to reconcile the file sizes I've seen to these numbers, and when I remembered that I sometimes switch settings in flight, I figured I'd just wait until it warms up around here, and do some more structured tests of my own.

Thx,

TCS

Reactions: Camino Ken
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keith Milligan