DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video editing for beginners

TimberWolf775

Reactions
Having never shot or edited a video before this past December, There are so many choices for video editing, I am curious to know which one you would recommend to your retired father just getting into the game? I am not concerned too much about cost, as long as it is reasonable. I have an I7 quad core running 16 gb of ram and 1070 navidia graphics card. I also have access to the current generation ipad pro.
Please advise.... all replies are deeply appreciated.

If there's a chance he might get more into it (it can be addictive!), I'd recommend getting one of the light versions of a higher end package so that the skills transfer during any upgrade will be easier - Premiere Elements, Vegas Movie Studio, etc. Be aware that the price of Pro versions of the established video editors range from "expensive" to "are you f-ing kidding me?" though. Well established packages will also have more "how to" tutorials on YouTube, etc., are more likely to be supported by third party FX plugins, and get bugfixes/codec updates earlier, which might be worth keeping in mind if you might be in the frame as the unofficial support guy.

As to which one, most offer "try before you buy" downloads, so grab those and see which UI he prefers; in my experience you'll find that at least one will just feel intuitive right of the bat, which should help narrow down your options. A good selection of wizards and pre-baked effects that can be tuned will also be hugely useful for someone getting started and won't be too sure of how to achieve a given look/effect. Finally, don't underestimate the usefulness of support for multi-CPU and GPU acceleration either and make sure your hardware is fully supported; you'll spend a LOT more time waiting for videos to render without them!

You can find a list of commonly used editors here. YouTube will likely have videos explaining how to use the editor of your choice.

My 2 Cents...
Started editing since my first GoPro... long time ago. Never fancied Apple, but I must admit: I had to switch to it. Got myself a MacBook Pro last year. It comes with an embedded Editing SW (iMovie). it is not a professional video editor (which is good when you start off) but it has all the essentials PLUS a wide range of audio effects (fun to play with) and coyright-free music. The laptop screen is fantastic and it's powerful and smooth in transitions, conversions an so on...

Reactions: Shawn King
I would recommend CyberLink's PowerDirector. It has both easy, template-driven functions yet has the capability to do extensive custom editing. Supports "plug-ins" that expand the capability and wow-factors. Provides ability to 'adjust' the video footage (slow-mo; quality {I.e., exposure, hue, saturation, vibrancy, sharpness, etc., etc.]; reversing video; zoom; etc.), edit 360-degree video, and on-and-on. Comes with audio editing packages to provide some extensive separate audio editing also. Has a decent tutorial package and also You Tube videos on using the program. Very reasonably priced if you watch for the sales and/or search for 'coupons'. If bought right, can be close to $50 - $75. While I would recommend the "Ultimate" version, they have recently created a subscription-style offer where the program resides on the cloud with your access to it. By far the least expensive method, but I can't speak to it. Here is a link: PowerDirector 17

I've used a handful of video editing programs over the years and the biggest problem with most is that a) they are too simple and limited or b) they are too complex and require both a steep learning curve AND a constant use to remember how to use it! I also spent more than a decade in the television production business so came from a production background.....and the home video editing programs today can spin circles around what we professionally used twenty years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having never shot or edited a video before this past December, There are so many choices for video editing, I am curious to know which one you would recommend to your retired father just getting into the game? I am not concerned too much about cost, as long as it is reasonable. I have an I7 quad core running 16 gb of ram and 1070 navidia graphics card. I also have access to the current generation ipad pro.
Please advise.... all replies are deeply appreciated.

Hi Timberwolf775,

I am also a newbie, got my Mavic 2 at Christmas, and have also never shot or edited a video before. I have an iPad Pro and I just download the footage from the card using the camera connection kit into the camera roll and then use iMovie (comes with the iPad) to do simple edits, add titles, music and transitions. It is easy to learn even for an old fart like me.

Ken

I turn 74 tomorrow so fit the "old fart" profile. Have been messing around editing video for a number of years. Started using Premier Pro but do not like their monthly hire regime. Discovered Davonci Resolve 15 a few months ago and now an avid fan. The price is right (free) and will do all i ever want and much more. Plenty of instruction videos available on utube
Runs on both Apple (shudder) and windows which i use.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke