DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video editing program

photo2be

Reactions
Hi, I use the Mini2 for business still pics purpose . Sometimes the customers "unfortunately" :( wants a short video. Can anyone tell me a free simple program just to cut out a part of the video with fade in and out and maybe add some text. Just simple editing. I use PC.

OpenShot does the basics with little fluff.

DaVinci Resolve is the “best” free editor, but most people won’t use 96% of its capabilities… which just get in the way and make it harder to learn.

On the other hand, applying LUTs, color correction, and color grading are common needs for drone video, and Resolve is clearly the best free product for that!

Last edited:
The best one for free. Davinci Resolve 17

The best one for free. Davinci Resolve 17
The limit for Davinci Resolve free version is 8bit H265, so you won't be able to edit any 10bit H265 footage.

If you only have the free version, you also cannot use hardware acceleration for H265. Only the paid Studio version unlocks GPU acceleration for H265.

Several video recording features of DJI require 10 bit H.265, especially on the Air 2S. Not sure about the Mini 2.

I have the studio version with speed editor

With the speed editor $295 and worth every dollar.

Hi, I use the Mini2 for business still pics purpose . Sometimes the customers "unfortunately" :( wants a short video. Can anyone tell me a free simple program just to cut out a part of the video with fade in and out and maybe add some text. Just simple editing. I use PC.
I use Wondershare, based on a recommendation that I got here in the forum. It meets my needs entirely. It was easy to learn to do basic stuff (I'd never done video editing before), but it has additional capabilities available if I want to use them in the future.

$75, IIRC.

TCS

I use Wondershare, based on a recommendation that I got here in the forum. It meets my needs entirely. It was easy to learn to do basic stuff (I'd never done video editing before), but it has additional capabilities available if I want to use them in the future.

$75, IIRC.

TCS

Also in my case, a Wondershare filmora. Lifetime license, in action up to 50 euros. Lots of options, not very challenging. Easy to learn. I also tried Davinci Resolve 17, but it is demanding on PC, hardware, graphics.

Power Director 18 is what I use. It's easy to get up to speed fast and it's relatively cheap. It does all the things the big boys do but much easier to understand. I say PD 18 because that's the last stand alone version they have before going to a subscription only version.

I've used both Davinci Resolve and Filmora -- for what you're describing, Filmora is the way to go. Simple and straightforward, and the adjustments are very similar to those in Lightroom, so if you're used to LR you'll feel right at home. It's a well-designed program with a lot of nice features.

The Video Editor built into Windows is surprisingly good, if you only need the basic features it provides. The performance of it is nearly impossible to beat - when previewing clips / final video, the playback is perfectly smooth. Warning: Don't use any of the audio tracks that come with it. You will get YouTube copyright warnings on nearly every one of them. Absurd MS licensed the music for personal use but then you have to let your video monetization go to the artists on YouTube.

If I need more features (fancier transitions, on and on) then I use Shotcut. However even on my nicely powered 6 core machine, playback is always a bit jerky. I usually set the project video to a lower resolution for editing, then turn it back up to 4k when I go to actually export the video.

I think that DaVinci is for the professionals, it is very hard to learn it if you are a beginner.
You can learn the basics in no time at all. Just use the online resources or the Beginner Guide you can download. The first lesson will have you doing basic edits in about an hour. Getting started in color correction takes about the same!

Yes, you'll be ignoring 99% of its functionality. What's new about that? I use only a small percentage of features in most software.

And, you can't beat the price!

Reactions: KrowNB

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet