DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video editing software

Ztopgun28

Reactions
I'm looking for a user friendly video editing software thats not too expensive to use with my MA2. All I want to do is add a background song to my 3-4 minute long 1080p videos. Nothing too complex, nor 4k editing. I heard Vegas Pro isn't too bad? I'm new at this. Thanks.

Maybe you can find a few suggestions here:

I'm looking for a user friendly video editing software thats not too expensive to use with my MA2. All I want to do is add a background song to my 3-4 minute long 1080p videos. Nothing too complex, nor 4k editing. I heard Vegas Pro isn't too bad? I'm new at this. Thanks.
Without knowing what platform you plan to use - PC, Mac, iOS, Android... - it's hard to give the perfect answer, but if you use iOS devices (iPhone, iPad), there is an app called LumaFusion. It's a very powerful video editing app that is a one time purchase - meaning no monthly subscription like many of them - and being able to use your phone or tablet in this way is pretty nice.

It takes a while to get up to speed, but the Black Magic Davinci Resolve software is powerful and free to download. Their free tutorial is comprehensive and impressive. The software is sophisticated and probably has many features you may never utilize. The newest revision of Resolve has a feature called 'CUT' which allows the end user to edit videos quickly and easily. The current revision is 16.2.2. One note however; as with most post production editing software, it can place a strain on your graphics card and CPU. I have a loaded Alienware laptop and my post production processing times are reasonable.

Great recommendation 15PSI. I'm an Apple user. I used Final Cut for years. Now I'm on Adobe Premiere for Mac but for my personal use I'm seriously looking at Luma Fusion. It's $30. Even works on the new 12.9" iPad...easy to learn but still robust features.

Reactions: Ztopgun28
On my PC I use VSDC - there is both a free and paid version. YouTube has a free music library HERE.
FYI - from my experiences, and others, most people will NOT watch your 3-4 minute videos to the end

And of course, I forgot to mention that Davinci Resolve is cross platform. The very first release was Apple only. Thankfully the tutorial shows both platforms. BTW - although it is available for free on BlackMagic Design's website, I purchased the (large) paperback version to use as a reference.

Attachments

• Davinci Resolve Tutorial Book.JPG
    Davinci Resolve Tutorial Book.JPG
    995 KB · Views: 13
Another vote for Davinci Resolve.

I started video editing many years back with early version of Premier Pro.

Did not do much editing for a number of years and then got my Mavic and found PP became distributed on a monthly "tax" basis so started looking elsewhere and found DR free version.

Admittedly it has a steep learning curve but my background with PP was helpful and I found the huge library of UTube videos available to help. Learn something every time I edit a new video and have gone back to re do some of the old ones as I have learnt so much. Later versions of DR have also added features.

It is available for PC, Apple and even Unix.

Reactions: Ztopgun28
Whatever you pick, make sure there are lots of youtube tutorials! I couldn't do most of the things I have without them.

I can only give information on what I have personally used. My choice in a low budget would be Filmora Wondershare. I found it easy to get to grips with and was able to produce some very good results. Plenty of youtube tutorials. I did try Davinci resolve. I know people really like it, but I found the learning curve a bit steep, and just couldn't get on with it. Currently I use Adobe Premiere Pro that ALSO has a steep(ish) learning curve, but I'm getting on with that just fine.

I'm paying for Premiere Pro every month (as part of my CC subscription) and spent a couple of years getting pretty proficient at it (I've sold a lot of videos edited in PP). But I'm using Resolve almost exclusively now. Keyframing is a little weird, and not as intuitive as in PP, but virtually everything else in Resolve is SO much better than Premiere Pro.

It's free aside from Studio, but if they started charging tomorrow I'd buy it.

Their free tutorial is comprehensive and impressive.

Are you talking about the 444 page "beginner's guide" (which is pretty decent) or the actual 3300 page reference manual? I love Resolve but they seriously need some better writers. The reference manual is awful, and sometimes inaccurate, which makes things even more confusing.

All this said, it's worth learning to edit in Resolve. Trust me, it's really great - even some of my professional video editor friends are still using the free version. Give it 5 hours and you can learn it. For what it's worth Resolve is what the Hollywood folks use (along with Avid).

Last edited:
I like Power Director by Cyberlink for the PC

DaVinci Resolve. 100% free, will do everything you need, and lots of free high quality training. DaVinci Resolve 17 – Training | Blackmagic Design

Harold Morgan is 100% right. Don't be fooled by all the bells & whistles that come with Resolve. If all you want to do is edit, add a few simple effects like a dissolve, put music on and output it, the free version of Resolve will do all that and more. It's what I use and I will probably upgrade soon to the full version because I am a professional video production person and even that is very reasonably priced. Resolve will do HD but if want to eventually work with 4K video, it will handle than fine too.

Hitfilm express is free and very good. I switched to DaVinci Pro for a reason that turned out not to be valid and love it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky