DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video editor

I still use iMovie too, very simple.

Someone recently posted this one below, I think on the Spark forums.

Looks good and downloaded it to my desktop to try out.
Could be a learning curve to go through, but supposed to be pretty good for a now free editor . . .

Reactions: Droniac
I have DaVinci Resolve installed for video editing, but I really haven't used it much.

Lightroom is my go-to for stills from any of my cameras. It's the best by far IMO.

Also, I got a notification recently from Adobe - sounds like they're adding Premier Rush to the Creative Cloud photography subscription at no extra cost.

Talking about a steep learning curve...DaVinci resolve is free (except for some advanced plugins) but once you learn it, you will be able to do most anything with your editing. It also has a lot of videos, tutorials, and classes you can do on their website to get a certification on the various modes (editing, fusion, fairlight, etc) once you take an exam after finishing the course.

Yeah, that's why I haven't used it much - definitely more pro-level than I need. I'm hoping Premier Rush is easier to use. At the very least, I'll be familiar with the interface.
I use both DaVinci and Premiere Pro and because I've been in the Adobe ecosphere for a long, long time, it's definitely easier to wrap my head around. I have an M1 Mac Mini and I can edit 4k natively in the H265 codec with very minimal lag whereas Premiere Pro will still frame drop just running the raw footage so DaVinci seems to run smoother and tax the system less.

Are you using MAC or Windows?
I'm far from expert, but used Davinci for about a year. Learning curve was tough, especially colour correction. Also, to get a good export, the file sizes became enormous. Because of a fault in Davinci, i switched to Filmora. It cost me about $100. I found it far easier to use, and faster. Also, the output files lost none of the 4k detail and were much smaller in memory size than Davinci's.
It does have the odd bug here and there though, but updates seem to come out often.
Happy flying!

Without question the video editor I recommend, except for those that just want to play around with it is Davinci Resolve. It is a full featured PROFESSIONAL platform and is FREE until you get into super heavy duty editing and need some of the extra features that the paid "Studio" version has ($300). 99% of the video people can get by with the free version. The BASICS are no harder to learn than any other video editing program. But it is a program that you can grow into, unlike others that you could grow out of. IMO you only want to learn to do something once. If you start with one program and move to another, not only are you starting to learn a new program from scratch, you will have habituated the old program making it even more difficult. Don't do that to yourself. Start with Davinci Resolve and spend the time in the first week to learn the basics. You'll thank me later.

I use Filmora. It does everything I need and more. It cost a few dollars but it's worth it. It does have a steep learning curve.
I completely agree with this! Someone here recommended Filmora, so I went to check it out. They have a free version you can download, just to see what it does. The free version was fully enough to convince me to buy the full version...75 bucks!

It was very simple to learn to use, which for me was/is a Big Deal.

TCS

I still battle on with iMovie on my big OLD Mac 27”! It’s quick and easy to use and quite intuitive but it has itS limitations-range of titles, dissolves etc but frankly it does the job for me. For stills I am a Luminar man. Have Luminar 4 but AR is out now. It does all I need but I am pretty basic as my vids and pix show. Good hunting!

Again... BASICS ARE BASICS and it doesn't matter which program you start learning the BASICS on. I got my Mavic Mini the last week of June last year. I shot my first footage sometime around July 1st. Having never edited video since VHS days, by July 15th, including 3 more trips to shoot more footage, I produced an edited 3 minute presentation. Davinci Resolve was SOOOO steep to learn 🤔 that it took me all of two weeks from ground zero to my first project. I can't get to the project to link it here, but when I get home to my computer I'll edit this reply and add the link so you can see what I produced in a very short amount of time, knowing absolutely nothing about non-linear editing.

This (below) produced with no previous experience in flying or editing in 2.5 weeks since receiving my Mavic Mini. Basic? For sure. But it's just a matter of learning the basic settings, what basic tools are available and where those tools are located. Everything after is nothing more than building blocks that are virtually unlimited.

Last edited:
I completely agree with this! Someone here recommended Filmora, so I went to check it out. They have a free version you can download, just to see what it does. The free version was fully enough to convince me to buy the full version...75 bucks!

It was very simple to learn to use, which for me was/is a Big Deal.

TCS
There are many YouTube videos. Check them out for instruction on how to use many of the features.

Reactions: Droniac and Bransty
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d