DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Footage Problem

Genzeka

Reactions
So my video is starting to become choppy when I play it back on my Mac. I didn’t have this problem when I first started videoing but now my footage is super choppy. My earlier videos, on the same SD card play fine but my recent videos don’t. Now, when I transferred the recent video footage to my iPad Pro. It plays fine. But none of my other SD cards have any issues with my Mac. So can anyone tell me what it might be?

Well, choppy playback is practically always an indication that the playback machine is barely coping, especially if SD card issues are ruled out because it plays fine elsewhere.
Trying to play it from the card rather downloading won't help.
The 10 bit video in H.265 will test any older machine, my laptop can't play it smoothly.

Have you tried playing the files with VLC? Are you currently using QuickTime? My videos are really choppy in QuickTime.

Reactions: Genzeka
It could well be the 10 bit H265 files, the read speed of hard drives is much better than pretty much any card. I never play video from the card, I always copy to hard drive and play it from there, and much better if you have a solid state hard drive.

Reactions: Genzeka
Well, choppy playback is practically always an indication that the playback machine is barely coping, especially if SD card issues are ruled out because it plays fine elsewhere.
Trying to play it from the card rather downloading won't help.
The 10 bit video in H.265 will test any older machine, my laptop can't play it smoothly.

The weird thing is the older videos play fine but the more recents one don’t. If it playback machine problem, wouldn’t all the videos playback choppy.

It could well be the 10 bit H265 files, the read speed of hard drives is much better than pretty much any card. I never play video from the card, I always copy to hard drive and play it from there, and much better if you have a solid state hard drive.

I do have a solid state drive but it still doesn’t explain why some videos are fine & others play back choppy.

Have you tried playing the files with VLC? Are you currently using QuickTime? My videos are really choppy in QuickTime.

It’s the playback from the card on my Mac but it’s only the more recent videos that are giving me a problem. The older videos on the same card play fine.

So my video is starting to become choppy when I play it back on my Mac. I didn’t have this problem when I first started videoing but now my footage is super choppy. My earlier videos, on the same SD card play fine but my recent videos don’t. Now, when I transferred the recent video footage to my iPad Pro. It plays fine. But none of my other SD cards have any issues with my Mac. So can anyone tell me what it might be?
I quickly found out that it's not the drone, it's the MAC!!! How do I know - I took the SD card and played it on a PC and it looked great! I wonder why with my Mac it's choppy?!

It’s the playback from the card on my Mac but it’s only the more recent videos that are giving me a problem. The older videos on the same card play fine.
Yes, I agree, it's QuickTime that sucks! Whats VLC?

You might find that the gpu you have doesn't support x265 hardware decode, and your older files are x264, which it does (or even if it doesn't most Intel 3rd gen and later cpus support it)

If the hardware isn't upto it limit yourself to h264 shooting, or make sure you edit with proxies.

You were right. I had it on H265 instead of H264. Now everything is good.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d