DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video issues - help diagnose short clip

iajetpilot

Reactions
Hi all,

When I move the camera on my mavic pro up or down the video gets distorted. Can you guys take a look at this small clip and let me know if you think my mavic is broken or its a setting or other issue.

Thanks so much.

Larry

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm not seeing any distortion. Is you computer able to handle the high resolution playback?

Hmmmm.....I wonder if that is the problem but I don't think so as I see it when playing the clip locally on on my computer which is a fairly recent MacBook pro with the discrete video card in addition to the one that is part of the cpu. The distortion I saw was only when the camera was rotated up or down.....You didn't notice it then? I hope your right.

Thanks for looking.

Hmmmm.....I wonder if that is the problem but I don't think so as I see it when playing the clip locally on on my computer which is a fairly recent MacBook pro with the discrete video card in addition to the one that is part of the cpu. The distortion I saw was only when the camera was rotated up or down.....You didn't notice it then? I hope your right.

Thanks for looking.
I do notice that the Mac tends to have issues with MOV files in high resolution. I think it is to avoid choppy playback so it shutters from top to bottom when the frame changes aggressively. Try playing it on a different device. FWIW, I'm using a Mac to playback the YouTube video. Have a look at that one, and maybe reduce the quality to see if the problem persists.

I'm loading it on to a very beefy windows PC that I just build about 6 months ago. I'm anxious to see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll let you know what happens shortly.

I'm still seeing it on my windows PC each time I rotated the camera up or down? Could it be a shutter speed issue? What should the shutter speed be set at?

I'm still seeing it on my windows PC each time I rotated the camera up or down? Could it be a shutter speed issue? What should the shutter speed be set at?
For the life of me, I cannot see the distortion you mention, maybe you need to clarify what you're seeing, but seeing as how this looks to be 30fps, I would recommend a shutter speed of 1/60. You will need ND filters though.

Adjusting the camera settings will help with what you see plus some nd filters

hmmm, when the camera rotates up or down the video appears to very slightly stutter in the trees then appears to shimmer, almost like grain. I'll have to look in some of the original videos to see if they do the same thing. I've only had the mavic about a week so haven't done any editing, just test footage. Does this one look ok to you? I see distortion in the trees on either side of the driveway intermittently. I see it when i look at the video full screen

I think this might be a display issue. Try a different resolution for fun. The filters help a lot. I had the same issue.

Bird of Prey

When you say display issue do you mean switch the resolution I'm recording at or the resolution of the monitor as I've tried it on various computers with different displays. Sorry, i'm a noon at all this.

Reactions: GreatScott
Apologies for not saying I meant recording resolution!

And welcome to the noob club. I am too.

hmmm, when the camera rotates up or down the video appears to very slightly stutter in the trees then appears to shimmer, almost like grain. I'll have to look in some of the original videos to see if they do the same thing. I've only had the mavic about a week so haven't done any editing, just test footage. Does this one look ok to you? I see distortion in the trees on either side of the driveway intermittently. I see it when i look at the video full screen

I still don't see it. :/

Everything looks normal to me. You definitely need to master your yaw rate and gimbal speed. ND filters will improve the jittery look also.

I really do. I'm just learning to fly it. How do you guys have settings for video adjusted?

I'm running this particular video on an NVIDIA GEFORCE 960 on a Dell U2415 Monitor. What I see here is a short of shimmering effect, particularly in the gravel road. It looks like some kind of encoding or compression artifact. It may also be continuous autofocus. Mine was doing the same thing until I stopped using autofocus and switched to using a hyperfocal method. I found that my focus was hunting a lot and causing an odd shimmer/jitter effect especially with textures like leafless trees and gravel. The method I use is to focus on something 13 meters away, then switch to manual focus and leave it alone. You may also try focus peaking in manual mode. Either way, don't use any kind of auto focus or auto exposure. It seems to cause these problems. Try this and see what you think.

I definitely see the problem, particularly in the gravel road in this video. In the video above, I saw it in the limbs of the trees. It's very aggravating.

Hi all,

When I move the camera on my mavic pro up or down the video gets distorted. Can you guys take a look at this small clip and let me know if you think my mavic is broken or its a setting or other issue.

Thanks so much.

Larry

See my comment above about the video of the gravel road. This video has insane compression artifacts. When the gimbal pitch stops, look at the roof of the house. It pixelates and flickers, and eventually the shingles are rendered. During this pixelation, you can see the details crushed and pixelated. It's quite mad.

I think there is 4K and then there is 4K. This machine is not capable of a high enough bitrate for 4K to be usable. Many people are showing better results with 2.7K.

It's like streaming HD online. There is not enough bandwidth on earth to actually stream "real" HD for everybody, so these platforms like Netflix and YouTube are using insane compression. DirecTV is the same thing. This little Mavic cannot actually capture all the data, and a lot of what I see is compression artifacts.

Last edited:
See my comment above about the video of the gravel road. This video has insane compression artifacts. When the gimbal pitch stops, look at the roof of the house. It pixelates and flickers, and eventually the shingles are rendered. During this pixelation, you can see the details crushed and pixelated. It's quite mad.

I think there is 4K and then there is 4K. This machine is not capable of a high enough bitrate for 4K to be usable. Many people are showing better results with 2.7K.

It's like streaming HD online. There is not enough bandwidth on earth to actually stream "real" HD for everybody, so these platforms like Netflix and YouTube are using insane compression. DirecTV is the same thing. This little Mavic cannot actually capture all the data, and a lot of what I see is compression artifacts.
I personally have better results with 4k. I read where a video expert stated that the 60Mbs rate is good for 4k. 2.7 shoots at 40Mbs on the Mavic. Maybe some units don't do 4k well, but mine does and I've seen that many others do as well.

Thanks for the in depth analysis and comments. I'm going out now to try it both in 2.7K and with the auto disabled. Do you think I would have similar problems with the P4P? I'm well within the return period for the little mavic and am thinking about trading it in for the P4P. I'd hate to give up the portability of the mavic as I intend to take it with my on a motorcycle and I'm not sure the P4P will fit in the saddle bags.

As Strafe1 said, I wonder if my Mavic is defective in some way. That is one of the major issues I'm trying to figure out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiremobiledevelopers