DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video issues - help diagnose short clip

I personally have better results with 4k. I read where a video expert stated that the 60Mbs rate is good for 4k. 2.7 shoots at 40Mbs on the Mavic. Maybe some units don't do 4k well, but mine does and I've seen that many others do as well.

Strafe,

It definitely seems like there is wide variation between units. For instance, I have never once gotten the dreaded "watercolor" effect where it looks like crazy, NR mush. Also, mine seems relatively sharp in the corners (or at least it did before I plowed it into a basalt cliff and destroyed it lol).

FWIW, mine was a grey market purchase on eBay at an inflated price, so I have no idea of the provenance of it. It could have come from Asia, for example.

Reactions: Strafe1
Just tried the 2.7K and had the same issue. I'm going to try it with the auto focus off next to see what happens. I definitely think this one is going back. The only question now is do I try another or upgrade to the P4P.

Just out of curiosity, what editing software (if any) are you using?

I haven't been doing any edits to it yet. I think one of those uploads was straight out of the drone and one was exported from adobe premiere elements. Slowing the gimbal speed helped a lot. I'm going to try it outside with the gimbal really slow and the drone in tripod mode. I'm still noticing stuttering video if i fly faster.

NickB, would post process help and if so, what do you recommend? I have the trial version of final cut pro x right now, adobe premiere elements, and imovie on my mac.

I really appreciate all of your help. I'm pretty decent with normal photography but this video stuff is all new to me.

Thanks,

Larry

I was hoping you would say windows movie maker lol...as WMM is bad for it.

If that is straight off the card then maybe try a different card?

That is a good idea. I never thought of that. Its odd because I don't remember having these issues with the stock card but they may have started when I got what I thought would be an awesome card for it, a sandiskn64 GB Extreme Pro, which is supposed to be one of the fastest cards right now.

check this out
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just ordered one. I really slowed the gimbal, flew slowly, and the video came out a lot better. I really think the ND filters, which I just ordered from amazon should help. I ordered the Taco RC ND filters
I really hope/think that should do the trick.

Reactions: Anthonyk
Just ordered one. I really slowed the gimbal, flew slowly, and the video came out a lot better. I really think the ND filters, which I just ordered from amazon should help. I ordered the Taco RC ND filters
I really hope/think that should do the trick.
Sounds like you're getting the hang of it!

I really do. I'm just learning to fly it. How do you guys have settings for video adjusted?

I can't seem to pull off a awesome pic or vid with or with out filters cause I shoot in RAW and don't fix anything with editing programs

Ok as a video editor i can tell you what the problem is. When the Mac tries to playback the clip, it tries to do so in the native frame rate and resolution that u shot it in. Even the MBP will struggle with native HD unless played of a superfast external drive like a thunderbolt. If u work in FCPX make a proxy clip and play it then. Easier way to work with 4K. U will find as u did to post the clip on youtube, once exported there will be no lag or distortion. A good indication that ur Mavic is shooting clean footage

How powerful (specs) of a computer do I need to edit 4K video, either Mac or PC as I have both? Would an external thunderbolt drive be faster than a MBP or very recent IMacs internal drive?

Thanks

After all of your helpful comments and a lot of research I think my problem was the shutter speed being too fast. I did a small test flight in house with the shutter set to 60 in manual and the problem was not there. I just picked up some ND filters. If the wind and rain ever stop in Ohio I'll do a test flight to check but I think this is it.

Thanks all!

Reactions: Slayerstwin

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiremobiledevelopers