DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video jello effect in cold weather

I'm not all that concerned about it if a simple 15 minute acclimation period fixes it. I did some flying last week down by the ocean and my first flight was right from my warm car and it had really bad jello... so bad you could see it on the screen.

I then went somewhere and left the Mavic in my car while my car was off for about an hour or so. The next video had far less jello (although there was still some jello).

I then drove a short distance and did another flight, and that video was by far the best... about 90% jello free. By this point, the quad was probably acclimated to the temperature from the prior flight that was only a few minutes before.

These were quick flights, and all were done on a single battery. It makes me think it is a temperature acclimation issue, as opposed to a temperature issue. Perhaps some people just fly in situations where they unknowingly allow their Mavics to acclimate (such as leaving it in a cold car before flying, or taking it on a hike, etc.), and thus believe that their Mavic is unaffected.

I also took my props off and spun the motors up to see if there was any vibration and it was smooth as silk. Probably the smoothest motors I've ever ran like that. I tried to balance my props, but it's pretty much impossible since they fold.

I'm going to do some temperature acclimation tests when I can fly this weekend, so we'll see.

Personally, I think jello is a combination of (1) light (2) wind (3) temperature acclimation. Flying in really bright conditions, in high wind without acclimating the quad seems to be the fatal combination for the video.

Reactions: Mavicpilot22
I have flown briefly at 0 deg F and for a full flight at 8 deg F with no jello but I have found with snowy or just bright terrain ND filters are needed. I have the Polar Pro and they work great.

I'm not all that concerned about it if a simple 15 minute acclimation period fixes it. I did some flying last week down by the ocean and my first flight was right from my warm car and it had really bad jello... so bad you could see it on the screen.

I then went somewhere and left the Mavic in my car while my car was off for about an hour or so. The next video had far less jello (although there was still some jello).

I then drove a short distance and did another flight, and that video was by far the best... about 90% jello free. By this point, the quad was probably acclimated to the temperature from the prior flight that was only a few minutes before.

These were quick flights, and all were done on a single battery. It makes me think it is a temperature acclimation issue, as opposed to a temperature issue. Perhaps some people just fly in situations where they unknowingly allow their Mavics to acclimate (such as leaving it in a cold car before flying, or taking it on a hike, etc.), and thus believe that their Mavic is unaffected.

I also took my props off and spun the motors up to see if there was any vibration and it was smooth as silk. Probably the smoothest motors I've ever ran like that. I tried to balance my props, but it's pretty much impossible since they fold.

I'm going to do some temperature acclimation tests when I can fly this weekend, so we'll see.

Personally, I think jello is a combination of (1) light (2) wind (3) temperature acclimation. Flying in really bright conditions, in high wind without acclimating the quad seems to be the fatal combination for the video.
I have to agree with you. I think its a couple things that can add up to get the jello.

I will continue to post on here when i get a chance to do some testing. some at noon with sun and others at dusk. keeping track of other conditions as well.

I have had intermittent jello problems.

It only seems to occur in colder conditions, or particularly when I initially use the Mavic straight from the warmth of the car. For example, when I flew yesterday in cold weather (1-2C) for the first 10-15 mins, lots of jello.......for the final 10 mins none at all.

But when I have been out hiking and in sub zero temperatures, and the Mavic has been in my backpack in the cold for a while it operated flawlessly with no jello !!

But not a big enough sample of flights yet to confirm this theory.

Great to know! I'll try getting mine acclimated to the outside temp and try it.

Mine is doing this too. It goes away if I put the camera cover on. I don't want to send it back to DJI yet as I'm taking a trip on the 26th, but I think I'm going to once I get back.

I sent a message to support and they keep saying it is due to the cold and that I should not fly it in the cold. They don't seem to wanna fix it.

Great to know! I'll try getting mine acclimated to the outside temp and try it.
I did that two days in a row now. Both times it worked FINE!
Mine is doing this too. It goes away if I put the camera cover on. I don't want to send it back to DJI yet as I'm taking a trip on the 26th, but I think I'm going to once I get back.

I sent a message to support and they keep saying it is due to the cold and that I should not fly it in the cold. They don't seem to wanna fix it.

It is the cold. I have been on this thread everyday talking to people. I have tested it multiple times and the easy fix seems to be to let the drone sit in the cold for a bit before you go fly. Remember to take the battery out tho. Something also to think about is to shoot in 2.7k or 1080. When i shoot in 2.7k 60fps it seems to be fine but rarely will get the effect when i am panning fast but only for a short amount of time.

I cant say if it will help for sure but i think shooting in D-log could also help. Some people think the snow reflection is overloading the light sensor.

If you test this and it doesn't work (or does) please post back so we can keep trouble shooting or help others before they send them in!

I'm waiting to test the temp. acclimation thing on mine, but I need that rare combination of: (1) off from work during daylight hours; (2) cold; and (3) sunny.

I did that two days in a row now. Both times it worked FINE!

It is the cold. I have been on this thread everyday talking to people. I have tested it multiple times and the easy fix seems to be to let the drone sit in the cold for a bit before you go fly. Remember to take the battery out tho. Something also to think about is to shoot in 2.7k or 1080. When i shoot in 2.7k 60fps it seems to be fine but rarely will get the effect when i am panning fast but only for a short amount of time.

I cant say if it will help for sure but i think shooting in D-log could also help. Some people think the snow reflection is overloading the light sensor.

If you test this and it doesn't work (or does) please post back so we can keep trouble shooting or help others before they send them in!

Ok I finally got to take it out today. I let it sit out in the cold for two hours while I charged my batteries. Took it out and same issue in 4k, but I forgot to try 2.7k so I'll try it out tomorrow.

Again, adding the camera protector bubble eliminated the problem. It's not totally visible in this clip, but here is an active track of my home made Inspire 1 clone.

Heads up on this. The new firmware is said to address this very problem!

I just updated and gave it a quick test. Oddly enough it's 54 F here in Detroit today so it's not conclusive but the camera did seem to perform properly. I'll have to wait until tomorrow when it cools down again.

I just updated and gave it a quick test. Oddly enough it's 54 F here in Detroit today so it's not conclusive but the camera did seem to perform properly. I'll have to wait until tomorrow when it cools down again.

There's a new firmware? How did you hear it addresses this issue?

Never mind... Just saw the thread that was posted.

It seems to be fine, though I can't say with 100% confidence that I know what I'm looking for.
0875ca15102225beca19b98f7804500d.jpg
d2ba9588eb4ca3d426e760303ff8c6a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but in the last picture it look like that tab has dislodged itself from what it's holding so I think you need to push that tab in till where it looks like all the other tabs (behind the base)

Reactions: rick.mcgregor.35
Well I got excited when i saw the latest firmeware.......but even after upgrading I still have the jello issues

So I contacted support for the first time and they asked me to downgrade the firmware recalibrate IMU and gimbal and try again.....!!!

Well I got excited when i saw the latest firmeware.......but even after upgrading I still have the jello issues

So I contacted support for the first time and they asked me to downgrade the firmware recalibrate IMU and gimbal and try again.....!!!

How cold was it? Did you let the Mavic equilibrate in the cold before taking video?

How cold was it? Did you let the Mavic equilibrate in the cold before taking video?

It was about 4C and I walked for about an hour with the Mavic in my backpack before flying, so would be acclimatized by then....but the jello was still there :(

It was about 4C and I walked for about an hour with the Mavic in my backpack before flying, so would be acclimatized by then....but the jello was still there :(

I'm still getting jello also. :(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121