DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video jello effect in cold weather

It was about 4C and I walked for about an hour with the Mavic in my backpack before flying, so would be acclimatized by then....but the jello was still there :(

4C is pretty warm. I flew in much colder temps with no jello so I'd work with support on this. I am sure they'll get things working the way you need.

It sounds like more than just the cold temperature effect on the gimbal and optics.

I flew on few occasions of sub 0C temp. I experience jello only in windchill situations.

I flew on few occasions of sub 0C temp. I experience jello only in windchill situations.

I have flown down to -13 C with no issues but I have had issues at -2 C when I didn't give the Mavic time to get used to the temperatures. They key seems to be to let the camera and gimbal get to used to the low temps. I am also hoping the new firmware fix helps things. So far with I have done several flights with the new firmware with no issues but it hasn't gotten below freezing yet.

I had the same issue with hello as well. I contacted DJI and they had me do the following. This worked for me and i haven't had any jello since. It's worth noting that I haven't upgraded to the latest firmware yet. I'm one version behind.

1. IMU Calibration
2. Gimbal calibration
3. Camera reset

The camera reset puts everything back to defaults, so remember to change things back to your preferences after.

Hope this helps others as well.

I had the same issue with hello as well. I contacted DJI and they had me do the following. This worked for me and i haven't had any jello since. It's worth noting that I haven't upgraded to the latest firmware yet. I'm one version behind.

1. IMU Calibration
2. Gimbal calibration
3. Camera reset

The camera reset puts everything back to defaults, so remember to change things back to your preferences after.

Hope this helps others as well.

Thanks for posting, but I tried this and no love. Hopefully it works for others. We got no room for jello!

Thanks for posting, but I tried this and no love. Hopefully it works for others. We got no room for jello!
Sorry it didn't work for you. Are you on the latest firmware? The release notes specifically call out cold weather camera performance.

I had heard of one guy who sent his Mavic in to DJI and they ended up replacing the gimbal controller board on his drone. His jello was worse than most I've seen and not limited to colder temps, so I'm hoping it was a unique case and not something we all need to worry about.

Sorry it didn't work for you. Are you on the latest firmware? The release notes specifically call out cold weather camera performance.

I had heard of one guy who sent his Mavic in to DJI and they ended up replacing the gimbal controller board on his drone. His jello was worse than most I've seen and not limited to colder temps, so I'm hoping it was a unique case and not something we all need to worry about.

Yup, on the latest the specifically called out the gimbal improvements. I'm going to send mine in to DJI. This seems to be a very widespread issue.

I have flown in as cold as -20c with no jello issues and never let the unit climitize either...

I'm still getting jello also. :(

I think this MUST be a temperature issue. I sent my Mavic back based on the Jello effect and they replaced the Gimbal. Just took a flight in 24 Degrees after about 8-9 minutes Jello stopped.

I think this MUST be a temperature issue. I sent my Mavic back based on the Jello effect and they replaced the Gimbal. Just took a flight in 24 Degrees after about 8-9 minutes Jello stopped.

Are you saying you had jello again with the new gimbal but it stopped after 8 minutes of flying? Or there was no more jello at all with the new gimbal?

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the intake fan blowing ice cold air on the circuitry. As many have pointed out, if the bubble is installed, there's no jello. If it is related to cold air at the intake fan, one would think they could simply turn off the fan if the ambient air reaches a certain temperature. I wonder what the logic is that determines when the fan needs to come on (inside temp vs. outside temp vs both).

Yup, on the latest the specifically called out the gimbal improvements. I'm going to send mine in to DJI. This seems to be a very widespread issue.

I worked with support to try and fix the jello, but no improvement.

So they said I have to send it in for repair

I had the weirdest thing happen yesterday. I flew the Mavic and the results were perfect, temperature about 2deg C, then as we were walking I stuffed the Mavic in my loose fleece and carried it for a bit.
Had another flight after about 10 mins and on reviewing the results realised that the jello effect was like an earthquake!

Heres a small clip of before and after, I've since reset the gimbal just in case - but could this be down to the translation between warm body and cold air - or is it more likely to have unsettled the gimbal whilst in my jacket walking?

I worked with support to try and fix the jello, but no improvement.

So they said I have to send it in for repair
That stinks. Please keep us posted as to what they do to repair it. I've heard of one instance where a gimbal control board was replaced, but others said the entire gimbal was replaced. Haven't seen anyone reporting jello after the repairs, but most just got their drones back or are still waiting to get them back.

I read on another thread people that are having issues with the soft focus will be addressed in a firmware update to be released within the next week. I wonder if it will further address the jello problem.

Are you saying you had jello again with the new gimbal but it stopped after 8 minutes of flying? Or there was no more jello at all with the new gimbal?

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the intake fan blowing ice cold air on the circuitry. As many have pointed out, if the bubble is installed, there's no jello. If it is related to cold air at the intake fan, one would think they could simply turn off the fan if the ambient air reaches a certain temperature. I wonder what the logic is that determines when the fan needs to come on (inside temp vs. outside temp vs both).

Interesting, the bubble was NOT installed. Correct, after 8 minutes or so the Jello stopped. I will try again with the bubble on today as a test.

I'll chime in here with my experience flying in subzero up here in Ontario.

I've had only three days of flights but all 3 were cold. All 3 days I took two flights, the first videos had jello, the second videos didn't. All three days were windy as well.

As for the ND/brightness theory, I don't think that's the case. I flew in the late evening in overcast and that was the worst jello I got. Also happened to be my coldest flight. One of my second flights in bright snow and sun had no jello.

So my money is on the cold weather causing it. FWIW

Reactions: etx
So has any one here sent theirs in and got one back that doesn't have the jello? Can we agree its a camera defect? Or do we still think its the cold, wind, and light??

So has any one here sent theirs in and got one back that doesn't have the jello? Can we agree its a camera defect? Or do we still think its the cold, wind, and light??

I talked to someone over at /r/djimavic and they said they sent theirs into DJI for jello. They sent a whole new mavic and he has not had any issues with jello on the new one.

It's definitely a defect. So many people are having issues I don't understand why we haven't run for the pitchforks yet.

I sent mine out today and I can only hope whatever I get back works correctly.

I shot this video at about 3F I didn't experience any issues with Jello. I also took it up to 300 ft on the same flight it was fairly windy and I didn't have any Jello on that either.

My thoughts from the flight
First Flight Winter Creek

Wow--very nice. Thanks for posting the video and flight conditions. It's nice to know what temperature range will work for the Mavic. Did the Mavic have very long to acclimate to the 3F?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00