DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

View angle of downward sensors

Reactions
Does anyone know the view angle of the downward sensors on the Mavic Air (MA)?

In order to suspend an object from the bottom of the MA I need to extend the landing gear. The object I'm hanging will go directly underneath the MA and at the center of gravity. I do not believe it will be in view of the downward sensors. But if I were to extend the rear landing gears 8 to 10 inches straight down using 3mm carbon fiber rods, then will the rods be in the view and/or impact the drones performance? I can extend them out diagonally if needed, but that adds weight and is more cumbersome. In short, I don't want to angle them outwards any more than necessary. But I don't know at what angle I might need to do so or if I even need to bother. Perhaps two stationary rods in the sensors view won't impact performance. I just don't know.

If anyone can give me some insight or information on this matter it will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew

The angle appears to be narrow. I tried a simple experiment to see if I could determine what I needed to know. I launched the MA and hovered about 4 feet off the ground. Then I slowly passed a large flat solid object a foot or so underneath the MA and watched for when the MA reacted. It only reacted when the object was within the boundaries of the legs. I concluded I could extend the legs straight down and be okay as far as the downward looking sensors were concerned. However, I did add a bit of outward angle, just to provide more stability when on the ground. Although it added a little more weight, I used hot melt glue to attach the extensions. This will allow me to make modifications if needed. I made both indoor and outdoor test flights. At my level of piloting ability I could not notice any performance issues. There were no issues with landing. The drone remained upright on uneven ground, even when I put it down with a little lateral motion. I'm happy with the outcome.

legs.jpg
legs.jpg

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000