DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Visual positioning and barometer while flying above water

afarkas

Reactions
I have just read in an article that "the mavics vision positioning AND BAROMETER does not work correctly while flying above water".

I can understand the vision positioning as there can be reflections that fake the image, or the drone can see the bottom of the lake instead of the water surface, or cant see anything as there is no texture on the surface...

But BAROMETER??? Why should barometer not work correctly above water?
Can anyone confirm or explain this?

Thanks

Reactions: mereflyer
Makes no sense to me. Can you provide a link to the article?

So they are trying to sell a product...part of their sales hype. I fly over water all the time and I have no problems.

That's hilarious! You would not want to fly in much wind with pop bottles attached to the legs.

As for water affecting the barometer, I would like to see where they got that information. A barometer measures air pressure and what is beneath it will have no effect on pressure (providing it is stationary).

Last edited:
I think it is worth to be saved for future generations here - as it is truly amazing, what some people are coming up with (literally), and then attempt to sell.
i especially liked the notion clarifying that bottles should be empty. LMFAO.
1550088333044.png

Barometers work just fine over water, they measure air pressure and work exactly the same whether or not they are over water. That is either a misunderstanding due to a bad translation, or a sad attempt at scaring people into buying their product.

A description on Aliexpress written in very poor English is not where I would be getting my information from :)

If you wanted to land on water (which I think is a bad idea) you can probably make your own landing skid for a lot less money (using a pool noodle or something) that works better and produces less drag than 4 empty coke bottles.

Barometers work just fine over water, they measure air pressure and work exactly the same whether or not they are over water. That is either a misunderstanding due to a bad translation, or a sad attempt at scaring people into buying their product.

A description on Aliexpress written in very poor English is not where I would be getting my information from :)

If you wanted to land on water (which I think is a bad idea) you can probably make your own landing skid for a lot less money (using a pool noodle or something) that works better and produces less drag than 4 empty coke bottles.
no, im not going to buy that... i was just surprised by that info released that barometer does not works correctly above water...

I think it is worth to be saved for future generations here - as it is truly amazing, what some people are coming up with (literally), and then attempt to sell.
i especially liked the notion clarifying that bottles should be empty. LMFAO.
View attachment 62884

Puts me in mind of the “Universal hands free kit” that came out in the very early Bluetooth era. Advertised as compatible with all mobile phones,....turned out to be a large, thick rubber band that held the phone against your head!

Hi all. Flying over water is just fine. We had a tasks to survey some piles underneath a wharf deck and measure their position and their inclination. We flew 1 meter above the water in with free flight mode . There passes were made and the resulting point cloud was just fine. After the survey we were able to mark the pile location on top of the roof deck and its azimuth and inclination.

I have just read in an article that "the mavics vision positioning AND BAROMETER does not work correctly while flying above water".

no, im not going to buy that... i was just surprised by that info released that barometer does not works correctly above water...

You were ask twice for a link to your source that says the "the mavics vision positioning AND BAROMETER does not work correctly while flying above water". It would be helpful if you provided a link to the article where it makes that comment.

First, barometric pressure does not change over water.
Second, if your M2 is over water (this thread) and the MP / MPP have written limitations and elevation ranges in the most current (and older Operator Manuals for each AC. Pertinent sections are screen copied below. It would be really nice if you could post the link to the article you saw (NOT I heard) so we can learn something or perhaps provide some more correct information to the writer.

M2
Downward vision sensor M2 conditions      .jpg

Downward vision sensor M2 effective distance      .jpg

MP/MPP
Downward vision limitation MP-MPP - effective distance      .jpg
Downward vision limitation MP-MPP - How to enable      .jpg

You were ask twice for a link to your source that says the "the mavics vision positioning AND BAROMETER does not work correctly while flying above water". It would be helpful if you provided a link to the article where it makes that comment.
Its in the description of this product: € 17,01 | New Arrival Landing on Water Landing Gears Skids Float Bracket 3D Printed Accessory for DJI MAVIC PRO Drone Accessories
US $18.99 |New Arrival Landing on Water Landing Gears Skids Float Bracket 3D Printed Accessory for DJI MAVIC PRO Drone Accessories -in Drone Accessories Kits from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

May I suggest reading the attachments I posted.
Very informative, but I thought you were asking about the origin of the barometric information. It was on the advertisers site and unknown where they got it from.

Reactions: afarkas

First, barometric pressure does not change over water.
Second, if your M2 is over water (this thread) and the MP / MPP have written limitations and elevation ranges in the most current (and older Operator Manuals for each AC. Pertinent sections are screen copied below. It would be really nice if you could post the link to the article you saw (NOT I heard) so we can learn something or perhaps provide some more correct information to the writer.

M2
View attachment 63363

View attachment 63364

MP/MPP
View attachment 63368
View attachment 63369
i did provided the source ages back there... sorry if you did not noticed...

Hi has anyone else had their m2p descend autonomously over water? Have had it happen 3 times now?! No input from me, luckily caught it each time. Thoughts.?

Hi has anyone else had their m2p descend autonomously over water? Have had it happen 3 times now?! No input from me, luckily caught it each time. Thoughts.?
i analysed my last occurence of this and must say, that time i had 2 apps installed - DJI GO4 and DJI Pilot ...
i dont know whether this could cause it, but since i have only one, never happened again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe