DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Voltage sag at beginning of flight - what happened?

The battery you used there isn't up for this kind of flying, I guess it have a substantial number of charge cycles & is close to a couple years old. In this flight you were 0,3V away from a forced low battery voltage landing (imagine if you had kept the stick commands for a little longer)... and you were above water the whole incident.
The battery has about 175 charge cycles, which isn't that much, and was manufactured in December 2020, I bought the drone in August 2021, I have 160 hours of total flight time and 3000km across my 3 batteries.

Regarding the "kind of flying", I wasn't trying to stress the battery, I wasn't even in sport mode, the was no wind where I was standing, and maybe the wind was coming from the port, on the left side of the drone. I wasn't pushing the throttle nor elevator full way because I wanted the battery to heat up before I start flying more aggressively. I regularly checked the cell voltages during the flight, and didn't see it go low enough for me to bring it back for landing.

I had a friend flying an Air 2S at the same time as I was flying the Air 2, I might look at his logs, because his batteries have 4 times less charge cycles as mine. I will compare the voltages and overall performance of our batteries.

The battery has about 175 charge cycles, which isn't that much, and was manufactured in December 2020...

Regarding the "kind of flying", I wasn't trying to stress the battery, I wasn't even in sport mode, the was no wind where I was standing...
Well, you can "put lipstick on a pig" as much as you want... it will still be a pig. The data recorded doesn't lie, the voltage drop really happened, the wind was a real factor where your drone was (which wasn't where you were standing)... and even though you thought you treated the battery nicely, it was still too much, & more what the battery could cope with.

By the way... this was the winds your drone felt during this flight.
1675261564081.png

This is strange.

People on the DJI Forum are telling me that it is more or less normal behavior for a battery, but I don't think so.
It's normal for a battery that's no longer in prime condition.

DJI's specs for the Air 2 show the battery having a full capacity of 3500 mAh.
But your flight data shows the full capacity of your battery to be 2863 mAh.
It's lost 18% of it's original capacity over 172 charge cycles since new.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead