DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

VR

Bitrootvz

Reactions
Any body ever try to put your phone in a VR headset and fly. Just curious.You would have to use a long usb cable from the back of the controller and then put them on after you start the flight.

yes.
litchi app + any VR headset that accepts a phone, including the $10 at walmart.

Yes. These are my "pros and cons". First...and this should not surprise anyone...when you spend $30-$40 for VR goggles, you get $30-$40 worth of VR quality! In other words, the view-quality is pretty crumby! Next, not particularly comfortable. And, third, while a lot of people do it, I really do not recommend that one flies VR without a spotter!

Now, on the good side, it really is a great way to get introduced to VR without spending an arm and a leg. I very much enjoyed the introduction and my first VR flights. Next, being a prety new pilot- been flying since May, 2018, VR was VERY helpful to my flight skills in terms of learning manually to fly SMOOTH orbits, and sideways flying. I've never had good hand / eye coordination, so being an "old fart" it took me a long time to get comfortable with the normal maneuvers of flying right and left, forward and backwards with the drone facing me! And, if my life depended upon it, I just could not get a smooth orbit, or smooth transitions from straight-ahead to diagonal or sideways maneuvers. I was amazed at how quickly those skills developed from flying VR-FPV with the cheap VR goggles.

Now, I've grown pretty smooth and do most of my tracking/orbit flying manually--- and VERY glad that I learned to. I use Litchi a lot, but rarely use the autonomous flight modes, preferring to stay in control of my aircraft.

Bottom-line, VR goggles with phone insert experience is pretty "yawn"...

I did it with a much less advanced drone made by SJRC. It was not very good and like Bruce mentioned it's not very comfortable. But, I loved it. It was cool kinda like being in the air yourself.
When I got my Mavic I did a lot of reading about DJI's goggles (the white ones). I finally decided I had to get the goggles. And when I did, WoW. It's absolutely amazing flying with the goggles. No way to explain it.

With the VR set +phone (mine was a samsung goggle) I found that with the phone in it, it was running a bit hot under the hood.

Go for the DJI goggle.

Reactions: J-Dog
Not only did I try my VR set for "flying" I used it in many other ways. Gaming is actually mind-blowing on VR. Ever tried watching VR movies? I've watched a few on that I know. It's quite amazing. In the weeks that followed… I tried every app in the Oculus Store that looked interesting: lots of games (GunJack is pretty cool), meditation apps, and even Facebook 360 videos sort of look cool in virtual reality.

Last edited:
Here's an update to my March 13th initial comments on flying cheap VR Goggles. I have been flying DJI-Go and Litchi on an Android until I got an iPad in July this year. The first thing I experienced was that it seemed like I was flying a whole new drone! While I'd gotten most of the issues- i.e. disconnects, signal losses, loss of GPS lock, etc.- minimized flying Android, I still had occasional hiccups. Since July and my iPad, I've not had a single hiccup...and I fly 6 batteries a week on average!

Back to the cheap VR googles experience, my wife just got an iPhone 7s this month. Plus, I saw an advertisement for some $7.99 VR goggles that fold up into an 1" and a half thick case that I decided to try out simply because of the compactness.

There was a very significant IMPROVEMENT in the view-quality. Specifically, the difference in view quality was related to the fact that the magnification of the VR lenses magnified the pixels on my Android phone whereas, probably because of a higher quality display on the iPhone, there was very little pixel magnification, thus a much better view quality through the googles.

Bottom line (again), I'm still pretty "yawn" on the cheap VR goggle-flying. I'm looking forward to the "Ken Heron" kind of goggle flying with DJI goggles. Maybe 2020...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J