DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waiting time before charging the battery

TSD

Reactions
Hello,
I'm a new Mavic owner.
As the batteries are LiPo, should we wait before charging the battery after a flight to prevent damages ?

TSD.

Not really.... If the battery detects that it is still too hot following a flight, the two center lights blink a few times when connected to a charger - and it won't take the charge. Wait a few minutes and try again. I got a little cig-lighter fan for my car to cool the batteries down and keep 'em charging. If the battery takes to the charger right away, then you're good to go.

Reactions: Former Member
Hope things are well, welcome to the mavic. If you have already done so I would suggest getting some extra batteries. Myself I let the batteries cool down before charging

I have three batteries I always let them cool down. By the time I go through the other two the first One has had plenty of time to cool down.

Reactions: zeusfl
I always let them cool down before recharging and I have been using my three Mavic batteries for 13 months.

Last edited:
It's a good idea to get a couple of extra batteries and replace the battery before it gets critically low. Three batteries is a good choice as it allows you to replace your flight battery with a fresh battery while your replaced battery cools. BTW be sure to check your battery levels before you head out to fly. It's a bummer to get out and find your batteries dead before you start...

I just came back from the park about 4 miles away and had to cool one of the three batteries down before it would charge. Thanks to air conditioning

For best longevity it's always good to let them cool down to ambient.

"Ambient" is a bit vague. I'd say let them cool to below 90 degrees F - since "ambient" where I am might be 100-104 or more, depending on how long the car's been sitting there.

"Ambient" is a bit vague. I'd say let them cool to below 90 degrees F - since "ambient" where I am might be 100-104 or more, depending on how long the car's been sitting there.

DJI has guidelines that are still in effect: Comprehensive DJI Battery Guide

Post-Flight and Charging: After your flight, let the battery cool for somewhere around 30 minutes. Set it on a shelf or table; just make sure it has some air flow. Let it cool to around 20 Celsius/65 Fahrenheit, or to when it doesn’t feel warm anymore. Charging the battery directly after a flight harms the cells and shortens the battery life. If you are planning to fly again within the next couple days (three max), charge it fully and you are ready to go.

Reactions: iaincaradoc
DJI has guidelines that are still in effect: Comprehensive DJI Battery Guide

Post-Flight and Charging: After your flight, let the battery cool for somewhere around 30 minutes. Set it on a shelf or table; just make sure it has some air flow. Let it cool to around 20 Celsius/65 Fahrenheit, or to when it doesn’t feel warm anymore. Charging the battery directly after a flight harms the cells and shortens the battery life. If you are planning to fly again within the next couple days (three max), charge it fully and you are ready to go.

Precisely. Here, at 90 degrees F, the battery no longer feels warm. There's no way to get them down to 65 F here without putting them in a refrigerator or ice chest, and then condensation becomes a real problem.

The short answer is how long do you want your batteries to last prior to them swelling and you have to replace them. If you want the most life cycles out of your batteries let them cool down. Your battery is made up of 3 or 4 internal batteries connected in series. Although the case may feel cool the inside battery cell material may be warm.
The cooler the battery, the less it will be stressed during a charge. Also if you are not going to fly that battery right away wait and let it fully cool. Also charge the battery till the 3rd led is flashing then stop charging. The day you plan on flying again then fully charge the battery that morning. I have lipo batteries that have 300+ cycles with no swelling. Additionally a wifi wall outlet (sonnoff) switch, an app called ewelink connected to the charging system (cost <$10.00). It allows me to program the charging times. Also I have it set up to fully charge all my batteries on a hub the day I plan on using them so that I don't have to worry about plugging it in in the morning. Also set your batteries to self discharge after 2 days. Keeping them fully charged for 5-10 days also is not good.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan