DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Want to do a very simple flight, and not sure how...

56_kruiser

Reactions
This should be easy, and I'm sure it probably is.

What I want to do
For this example, I want to start at maybe 5' alt, and 15' away from a house, the front of which would be the point of interest.

I want to fly back and raise altitude. I have done OK with Tripod mode and just manually doing it, but I'm not experienced enough yet to keep the point of focus exactly on point, realizing a good cinematographic video.

Another attempt I did, although different in this way: I started out about 40' from the house, at about 23' alt by a flag pole, and flew across the front of the house, same distance away, but lowering altitude. I was using spotlight mode which seemed to be working great. But...sadly, I crossed behind a tree, and it lost the subject, and decided to fast forward into the tree and crash. (You may have seen my short video of that in another post. The crash part is here if you want to see). So, I'm leary of spotlight mode. And what I'm doing now is backing back between 2 trees.

So I tried Litchi Focus mode. But, I may just not understand the settings. I could not get it to stay focused on the front of the house. My own interpretation of Focus Mode for Litchi was that it would be similar to spotlight mode, but I don't know.

Any suggestions? (Sorry for the long post).

I just went out again and so on the 3rd attempt, I was successful with Litchi.

I guess I just need to go slow and keep trying and eventually will get it under my belt.

Reactions: Flycaster
This should be easy, and I'm sure it probably is.

What I want to do
For this example, I want to start at maybe 5' alt, and 15' away from a house, the front of which would be the point of interest.

I want to fly back and raise altitude. I have done OK with Tripod mode and just manually doing it, but I'm not experienced enough yet to keep the point of focus exactly on point, realizing a good cinematographic video.

Another attempt I did, although different in this way: I started out about 40' from the house, at about 23' alt by a flag pole, and flew across the front of the house, same distance away, but lowering altitude. I was using spotlight mode which seemed to be working great. But...sadly, I crossed behind a tree, and it lost the subject, and decided to fast forward into the tree and crash. (You may have seen my short video of that in another post. The crash part is here if you want to see). So, I'm leary of spotlight mode. And what I'm doing now is backing back between 2 trees.

So I tried Litchi Focus mode. But, I may just not understand the settings. I could not get it to stay focused on the front of the house. My own interpretation of Focus Mode for Litchi was that it would be similar to spotlight mode, but I don't know.

Any suggestions? (Sorry for the long post).
im new also and have been told that before trying any special modes to get very familiar flying with beginner mode first and after thats gets old then advance up slowly.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Another simple way to achieve that shot of travelling backwards between trees for example is to do it flying forwards towards the house then simply reverse the footage in post editing. That way obstacle avoidance is still at your disposal.
This doesn't work if there are people or moving vehicles etc in the shot, but is an option other wise.

im new also and have been told that before trying any special modes to get very familiar flying with beginner mode first and after thats gets old then advance up slowly.

Yes, very much so. I've gotten pretty good at flying (for a beginner)...just not doing so in a cinematographic way. I found that in the Focus mode on Litchi, you can set the response to the controls way back. Sort of like Tripod works in Go4. I like the capability to do that. I hope to discover a way to do that for FPV type flying.

BTW...something that was suggested to me was to get an inexpensive drone that has zero autonomous capability and learn to fly. I got a Bugs 3 and have been doing that. I plan to continue with that effort. It's actually fun. Makes me want to get into drone racing.

Another simple way to achieve that shot of travelling backwards between trees for example is to do it flying forwards towards the house then simply reverse the footage in post editing. That way obstacle avoidance is still at your disposal.
This doesn't work if there are people or moving vehicles etc in the shot, but is an option other wise.

Huh! Great idea. Thanks

Couldn't help but laugh at the video of the crash, "Atti mode" lol.

Guessing there wasn't much damage as you're still flying?

Surprised obstacle avoidance didn't work even though it beeped.

This can be don in waypoint mode.
Set a start waypoing and an end point then let the Mavic fly the points while you film.

Mike

Reactions: Qoncussion
This can be don in waypoint mode.
Set a start waypoing and an end point then let the Mavic fly the points while you film.

Mike
I haven't used waypoint mode inn Go4 yet, but I found it way too far off from what's mapped when using that mode in Litvhi.

Couldn't help but laugh at the video of the crash, "Atti mode" lol.

Guessing there wasn't much damage as you're still flying?

Surprised obstacle avoidance didn't work even though it beeped.

Yeah. Makes me not want to trust obstacle avoidance at all. What really has me spooked is...why did it bumb rush the tree?

I follow Toms Tech Time on YouTube, and his latest video shows him flying backward getting a shot of an ancient canyon-side town in Israel near the Dead Sea. His bird, a MP Platinum, is then seen crashing and flipping upside down on his side of the canyon where he was unable to recover it.

What I don't understand is that he is a professional getting shots in a dangerous and hostile environment, and he didn't take more care in getting that shot, especially flying forward to later reverse the footage in post. He is better than that.

Yeah. Makes me not want to trust obstacle avoidance at all. What really has me spooked is...why did it bumb rush the tree?

Obstacle avoidance normally works well but it kept pissing me off last time I flew. Kept stopping for no reason. I'm guessing it was the sun but it was a cloudy day :confused:

You're flying in tree-infested area in autonomous mode. The suggestion is: THINK.
No, I was not. It flipped to atti after the crash. That tree had a small canopy aiming the other day from the flight.

This is not tree-infested area for flying? Flying here with almost no experience in autonomous modes is a good idea? Ok... :D

I was not flying in autonomous mode. That's the point of the 'complaint'. It was in spotlight mode. As soon as it lost view of the subject (front of house) it fast forwarded into the tree. Then dropped to ground, and went into atti mode.

Despite what you may think, I was not flying in a forest. No trees overhanging where I was flying at all. That doesn't mean that it couldn't lose some satellites, as the tree trunk was in front of the drone, albeit not as close as it looked in the video.

But, if it had anything to do with losing sats, it was very fast to lose them, and very fast at deciding to fly forward into the tree.

In either case, I haven't read anything that would indicate that even in atti mode, given no wind, should fast forward into anything. And, you can even hear the obstacle detectors going off, and despite that...forward ho we go.

And someone has already looked at the text log and told me I did not forward it myself. I had no reason to panic and hit the control forward as I had (not so much now) confidence in the obstacle detection.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albestinspections