DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Want to get a drone help with rules

Jakebake

Reactions
Hello everyone! I've been a photographer for awhile and wanted to get into real estate photography and then I started getting into video pretty recently and it's been a been a blast. This brought me to want to do some real estate video and now I'm thinking s out getting a drone. Was thinking about getting the mavic 2 pro. I started diving into the rules and where you can fly and it has just been overwhelming. I live in chandler arizona. As I dont even know how to fly yet I wanted to he able to fly from my backyard to get the hang of it or even use my house as practice for real estate drone video. I downloaded the b4ufly app and it seems like you cant fly anywhere without notice? And there are so many restrictions but no mention of fines or consequences. I dont want to get my 107 yet until I know it's for me. I've also seen stuff where I guess dji can stop your drone from taking off in certain areas so what if you need to do a shoot and then you cant take off? Seems like it's a huge hassle to even be able to fly at all. Help me understand this! Thanks

Without knowing exactly where you intend to fly it's difficult to give much help. Chandler appears to be relatively free from any serious flight restrictions. The apps that are out there can sometimes be confusing or even incorrect but they are getting better. My advice is to go first to the DJI geo zone site below, determine your exact location, and then determine what restrictions you may have on a flight. These are the zones that will be embedded in your aircraft. A left mouse click on a zone will bring up more information.

Last edited:
In areas where Low-Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC) is available, you can get almost-instant authorization to fly. AirMap or KittyHawk are also great apps to have.

So that we can get you started on practice flights, do a few things for wherever you plan on practicing:
  1. Check AirMap or KittyHawk to see if you are in controlled airspace. If you are, check if LAANC is available. If it is, go to the t minus 24 hour checklist. If not, you will need to get an airspace use authorization via the FAA Drone Zone. You can get an authorization good for two years after the date you apply.
  2. Check DJI's Fly Safe web site, per @53-63-6f-74-74's suggestion. If you are in a "red" zone, you will need a custom unlock. DJI will need to see the airspace use authorization you received via AirMap or KittyHawk.
It certainly takes some planning to fly. Here's my t minus 24 hour checklist:
  1. Are you within 3 nautical miles of a stadium where NFL, MLB, NCAA Division 1, NASCAR, Indy Cup, or Champ Series Race can happen? If so, check their event schedules. You cannot fly one hour before the event until one hour after the event. (reference: FDC 0/0367)
  2. Check for Temporary Flight Restrictions (Federal Aviation Administration - Graphic TFR's) to see if there are any restrictions at the time you want to fly.
  3. Use LAANC to get authorization, as required.
  4. Check DJI's Fly Safe web site, per @53-63-6f-74-74's suggestion. If you are in a "red" zone, you will need a custom unlock. DJI will need to see the airspace use authorization you received via AirMap or KittyHawk. If you are in a "blue" zone, you can unlock on-site provided that you have cell phone coverage. If you are using a Smart Controller, make sure to unlock that authorization zone while prepping your gear for flight.
Good luck!

A little more very specific info: Attached is a portion of the VFR chart that you would need to be familiar with. Phoenix Int. is a Class B airport and its airspace encompasses a very large area. You would almost always be underneath some level of Class B, which in itself is generally not a problem. The thick blue line that is somewhat hourglass shaped and immediately surrounding Phoenix Int. is "B" surface airspace. You most likely will get near-instant authorization to fly there but only up to the AGL limits shown on the LAANC grid, which specify "0" in close proximity to the runways and 100-200 feet in other areas.

The other airports encompassed by a dashed blue line are Class "D" and that airspace also begins at the surface. They are also available on the LAANC system and unless you get very close the actual runway or glide path you may get instant authorization to fly in that airspace as well, up to the AGL limits shown on the LAANC grid.

As cyeung has mentioned, the LAANC grids can be seen and authorization obtained using either Airmap or Kittyhawk. Not to confuse you even more, but as a Part 107 Pilot you are able to apply for authorization to exceed the AGL limits on the LAANC grid. Your request may or not be granted and is site-specific.

Clipboard01.jpg

In areas where Low-Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC) is available, you can get almost-instant authorization to fly. AirMap or KittyHawk are also great apps to have.

So that we can get you started on practice flights, do a few things for wherever you plan on practicing:
  1. Check AirMap or KittyHawk to see if you are in controlled airspace. If you are, check if LAANC is available. If it is, go to the t minus 24 hour checklist. If not, you will need to get an airspace use authorization via the FAA Drone Zone. You can get an authorization good for two years after the date you apply.
  2. Check DJI's Fly Safe web site, per @53-63-6f-74-74's suggestion. If you are in a "red" zone, you will need a custom unlock. DJI will need to see the airspace use authorization you received via AirMap or KittyHawk.
It certainly takes some planning to fly. Here's my t minus 24 hour checklist:
  1. Are you within 3 nautical miles of a stadium where NFL, MLB, NCAA Division 1, NASCAR, Indy Cup, or Champ Series Race can happen? If so, check their event schedules. You cannot fly one hour before the event until one hour after the event. (reference: FDC 0/0367)
  2. Check for Temporary Flight Restrictions (Federal Aviation Administration - Graphic TFR's) to see if there are any restrictions at the time you want to fly.
  3. Use LAANC to get authorization, as required.
  4. Check DJI's Fly Safe web site, per @53-63-6f-74-74's suggestion. If you are in a "red" zone, you will need a custom unlock. DJI will need to see the airspace use authorization you received via AirMap or KittyHawk. If you are in a "blue" zone, you can unlock on-site provided that you have cell phone coverage. If you are using a Smart Controller, make sure to unlock that authorization zone while prepping your gear for flight.
Good luck!

Thank you! So looking in the kitty hawk app I dont see anywhere to get the laanc authorization. Do I have to have a drone connected? On the dji site it doesnt show any color at all where I'm at...I'll attach a picture but on the kitty hawk app I'm in a blue controlled airspace zone (Chandler airport I think). Looking at laanc website it has phx airport and basically all the others here but I dont see chandler

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200307-091646_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200307-091646_Chrome.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
Also if I wanted to.get the part 107 what's the best course or best way to go about studying for it? How long does it take? I'm pretty good with tests and usually would need less time than average to study.

Thank you! So looking in the kitty hawk app I dont see anywhere to get the laanc authorization. Do I have to have a drone connected? On the dji site it doesnt show any color at all where I'm at...I'll attach a picture but on the kitty hawk app I'm in a blue controlled airspace zone (Chandler airport I think). Looking at laanc website it has phx airport and basically all the others here but I dont see chandler
Not all airports are currently available. The system is still in the process of being finalized. Some airports still require "manual" applications for authorization.

You can easily study for and pass the 107 exam with the free materials below. The 60 question exam will take about 20 minutes. Average study time is about 15 hours in total. The exam is NOT difficult, if you prepare.
1. Tony Northrup video and associated fact sheet. Watch this video first. Then watch it again. That will kill a few hours. See his web page for additional information.
2. The Official FAA Study Guide. This is comprehensive and contains just about everything you need to know. I read through this after watching Northrup's video, taking notes and concentrating on topics he discussed.
3. 3dr Practice Exam, as well as the practice exam and info on Rupprecht Law. These exams are very similar to the actual one.
4. Peruse YouTube for tips and most-missed questions. There are two or three that always come up.
5. Read the actual text of the Part 107 regulation. There are one or two test questions on this.
6. Familiarize yourself with the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and the Testing Supplement for Remote Pilot, you will be given the supplement to use during the test. Don't spend much time on either, though.

Reactions: OurAngryBadger
Hello everyone! I've been a photographer for awhile and wanted to get into real estate photography and then I started getting into video pretty recently and it's been a been a blast. This brought me to want to do some real estate video and now I'm thinking s out getting a drone. Was thinking about getting the mavic 2 pro. I started diving into the rules and where you can fly and it has just been overwhelming. I live in chandler arizona. As I dont even know how to fly yet I wanted to he able to fly from my backyard to get the hang of it or even use my house as practice for real estate drone video. I downloaded the b4ufly app and it seems like you cant fly anywhere without notice? And there are so many restrictions but no mention of fines or consequences. I dont want to get my 107 yet until I know it's for me. I've also seen stuff where I guess dji can stop your drone from taking off in certain areas so what if you need to do a shoot and then you cant take off? Seems like it's a huge hassle to even be able to fly at all. Help me understand this! Thanks
FYI, there is also a commercial drone forum if you haven't already been there. If you're like me, I try to get all the info/help I can get lol.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998