DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wanting to get a M2Pro, but worried about losing it. Am I being irrational?

Hey all,

So I'm seriously looking at getting a Mavic Pro 2 and I was about 100% sure I was going to get one, but then I started reading comments about the drone getting lost and DJI's Care Refresh thing not replacing it. It seems that losing a drone is a rare occurence, but I don't have funds to buy another one (nor would I want to lose it in the first place), so I want to know if my fears of it getting lost are valid or overblown?
I was thinking I could just get a GPS tracker for it, but it looks like they are like $200 a pop for the transponder. I was thinking they were like $30 which I was good with, but $200....ya.... :(

How do you all work this?
Here in ky we can get insurance fron State Farm very reasonable

Reactions: Kingram
Thanks all for the advice, info! I think maybe I should start with something less expensive, get my skills up and then upgrade when I think I"m ready.
Get the mavic 2 and learn how to fly and use good judgement
There are so many great tutorials on flying on YouTube
You will be fine
Love my M2

Hey all,

So I'm seriously looking at getting a Mavic Pro 2 and I was about 100% sure I was going to get one, but then I started reading comments about the drone getting lost and DJI's Care Refresh thing not replacing it. It seems that losing a drone is a rare occurence, but I don't have funds to buy another one (nor would I want to lose it in the first place), so I want to know if my fears of it getting lost are valid or overblown?
I was thinking I could just get a GPS tracker for it, but it looks like they are like $200 a pop for the transponder. I was thinking they were like $30 which I was good with, but $200....ya.... :(

When you have a delicate $1,500 up in the air, it's natural to obsess with the risk of loss.

To mitigate that risk, study up by reading the manual (you can download a manual without buying the drone), watch Youtube videos, go to a wide open field, and start off in beginner's mode.
Take it slow.
Test the return to home function. This will give you confidence that DJI has your back.
After a while, you will gain skills to go further, faster, while under control.

Don't worry about the camera. Learn about controlling the drone.

Delve into the menus. Be sure to set the home point each and every time you fly
Be sure your return to home altitude is appropriate; usually to clear any obstacles between you and the drone should you get disconnected.

While outdated, this is a good video to start with.
It may be that millions of us are flying drones. We have all faced that risk. We have all overcome the fear of loss. It's your turn.

Only one way to learn... letsssss goooooo!!!! Throwing up an I2 with X7 now that makes makes your butt pucker.

Reactions: DMT
Hey all,

Not to be worrying is stupidity. Worrying all the time is a paranoia. So the right ratio is somewhat in between.

Realistically, i say 2 things are apparent to me - it seems some people do get batteries unlatching in the air, so one needs to use velcro strap to prevent it.
Second - there was incidents with unexpected forced landings. For that - gps tracker like marco polo will help to find it, not flying over water will prevent drowning, atti mode switch will help to drive it home. Is it all have to be done? Who knows. I do not think so, and use gps tracker only if outdoors, mostly to cover a possible bird strike or prop brake issue.

Not to be worrying is stupidity. Worrying all the time is a paranoia. So the right ratio is somewhat in between.

Realistically, i say 2 things are apparent to me - it seems some people do get batteries unlatching in the air, so one needs to use velcro strap to prevent it.
Second - there was incidents with unexpected forced landings. For that - gps tracker like marco polo will help to find it, not flying over water will prevent drowning, atti mode switch will help to drive it home. Is it all have to be done? Who knows. I do not think so, and use gps tracker only if outdoors, mostly to cover a possible bird strike or prop brake issue.
OMG go out and buy it! I waited 3yrs my big mistake. I should never have waited. The accidents that happen are from daredevil chances do one step at a time. I've had it over a year and still learning. Use forum to learn what not to do. Quick shots dont try to do all in one trip. Take 1 learn it go to next one. Learn the laws most important or it can be very costly hobby. If you dont like it sell it there are couple dozen here that will buy it from you. Most important have fun they are easy and enjoyable to fly.

Hey all,

I have had my Mavic pro 2 since September 2018 and every time I fly I am worried about losing it. What eases my mind is not only the many successful flights I have taken but also my firm tendency to be extremely careful in a slightly obsessive manner, i.e., tapping return to home at any indication that I am losing connection.

Reactions: MadMaqx
Thanks all for the advice, info! I think maybe I should start with something less expensive, get my skills up and then upgrade when I think I"m ready.
If this is your first drone, consider getting a $100 toy drone that won't have all the features (OR stability!). Once you master the basics of that one, you will feel much more comfortable with a more expensive drone. Transitioning from my toy to an MPP was a dream!

Take a a few training courses with experts, in the airplane world they say “you will not live long enough to learn from your mistakes” translate Learn about the equipment, regulations and techniques from experts, it’s much cheaper than loosing your drone or worse.

The odds of you losing your drone are very slim especially if you keep it off the water. When I first got my Mavic two I found the biggest enemy or risk was small tree branches I did lose my first Mavic to from a hard fall but Care refresh replaced it . I think it is definitely a must to buy care refresh or at least State Farm , but you have to go for it I have never had so much fun ! You learn so much about flying and photography filming

Hey all,

Losing my drone is the no 1 fear for me as well. I've flown lots of hours on my M2P.

I have care refresh but I'm still reluctant to fly over water in case a disaster causes it to drop to the depths.

I suggest getting the M2P and start slowly learning as you go. Its obvious why they don’t cover ‘lost’ drones because people will always take advantage of insurance

Hey all,

I was a complete newbie never flew anything.The suggestions here are valid.In my case I had one lesson from a friend,flew in open field,beginners mode and got used to responsiveness of sticks.lots of reading will help./I am impressed by the features--GPS,obstacle avoidance and controller readout that keep me from losing it.Practice is the key.Someone here suggested that a very cheap drone is very unlike the M2.Crashing a cheap drone will mar your confidence.State Farm Insurance is cheap-about $70/year and available in most states.Good luck!

Start with a tello develop hand eye get used to trusting your screen. Less than 100usd

You will always have that fear I'm approaching 1million ft and still get nervous. I dont do near the things some of these guys do read read read and when you feal comfortable read some more!
I enjoy the heck out of my Tello actually. I have the WiFi booster and can fly it to the max 100m vertical and have had it out to about 300m down the road. It actually does not take bad pictures for such a small package.

Don’t get a cheaper model. Get the Mavic 2 Pro. A cheaper model than what you want and can afford is like spending money twice wishing you got the one you should have got in the first place. You’re less likely to lose or wreck the Mavic 2 than the cheaper ones.

It’s normal to have anxiety before you buy and before and during your flights. I’ve been flying for 3 years and I’m still anxious EVERY time. But, I’m a lot less anxious with the M2P obstacle avoidance than I was with my P3 4K, which had none.

And... State Farm insurance. Great piece of mind.

I'm very new to drones myself, but took the plunge and bought a M2Z and haven't regretted one second of this new passion. Read, read, read all you can. Read the manual several times, and then fire up your drone (no props) and just sit and become acquainted with all the controls, menus and sub menus of the go 4 app. Watch as many videos as you can on setting up your camera for still photos and video, there are latterly 100's of them and they are very informative. Last but not least go to the FAA site and learn the rules.

Fly safe my friend.

I'm very new to drones myself, but took the plunge and bought a M2Z and haven't regretted one second of this new passion. Read, read, read all you can. Read the manual several times, and then fire up your drone (no props) and just sit and become acquainted with all the controls, menus and sub menus of the go 4 app. Watch as many videos as you can on setting up your camera for still photos and video, there are latterly 100's of them and they are very informative. Last but not least go to the FAA site and learn the rules.

Fly safe my friend.
Depending upon your neighbors' tolerance for drone flying, use your own open back yard, or find a wide open spot nearby where you can practice on a regular basis. Nothing beats stick time with the real thing! Empty basketball courts, tennis courts, baseball fields, football fields, or any empty open parks and fields without trees are ideal when first learning. Safe flying!

Thanks all! I'm currently on vacation now so waiting until I get home to buy one. I'm gonna look into the Tello initially and maybe just play around with that for a bit. I've had a few drones before, but none of them had a FPV capability. I figure I can use the Tello for a bit and when I upgrade give it to my 10 year old son to play with.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR