DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

WARNING: Don't fly the Mavic from your car

ellenprojects

Reactions
We did that once and our drone suddenly flew to the right into the trees. Luckily only one propellor got broken. Just wanted to let you guys know :)

Reactions: joejaxvic123
No I mean when we took of the drone from the car. We didn't want to take off the ground because it was muddy. I think it has something to do with the metal in the car. We didn't film it so don't have any footage. Just wanted to warn other people :)

No I mean when we took of the drone from the car. We didn't want to take off the ground because it was muddy. I think it has something to do with the metal in the car. We didn't film it so don't have any footage. Just wanted to warn other people :)
Yes, the metal from the car will possibly= failure with compass

Well I did that as well! Lol
I now calibrate every time I fly. Pay attention to metal interference .

I have a landrover Defender 110 which is all aluminium. Makes for a great raised landing and take off platform, on the roof. I even take off with my Inspire1 from the roof at given times. The bonnet is reinforced with steel so that's a no go.

How about saying, warning, don’t use your car as a launching pad.

People, including myself, fly from inside their cars all the time with zero issue. It’s not fair to scare off those that haven’t tried it with a post like yours.

Taking off from your hand is definitely the way to go if there isn't a suitable spot on the ground.
with the mavic sure! Not so with an I1 unless you have a helper.

How about saying, warning, don’t use your car as a launching pad.

People, including myself, fly from inside their cars all the time with zero issue. It’s not fair to scare off those that haven’t tried it with a post like yours.
I think it would be very wise to warn every newbie NOT to fly from inside their car.
I would never do it, I wouldn't be scared to do it, but it is against all rules in my book and I think we should not promote it on a forum like this.
Go ahead, call me the drone police, I really couldn't care less.

I think it would be very wise to warn every newbie NOT to fly from inside their car.
I would never do it, I wouldn't be scared to do it, but it is against all rules in my book and I think we should not promote it on a forum like this.

How is it against all rules? It’s not like you are sitting in a cardboard box with no windows flying. It’s very easy to keep the drone within line of sight. Which other “rules” is it breaking?

Just take one of the car mats out and take off from that, That's what ive done in the past as have probably others on here

For part 107 pilots, the FAA even allows flying from a moving vehicle....and part 107 is arguably more restrictive than hobby flying.

Guess all vehicles are not created with the same metal, I live in the country and drive a 1990 truck and it is my launch pad .My main one .:)
<iframe src="My Take Off Pad from Dirk Lucas on Vimeo" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="
">My Take Off Pad</a> from <a href="Dirk Lucas">Dirk Lucas</a> on <a href="Vimeo: Watch, upload, and share HD and 4K videos with no ads">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Guess all vehicles are not created with the same metal, I live in the country and drive a 1990 truck and it is my launch pad .My main one .:)
<iframe src="My Take Off Pad from Dirk Lucas on Vimeo" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="
">My Take Off Pad</a> from <a href="Dirk Lucas">Dirk Lucas</a> on <a href="Vimeo: Watch, upload, and share HD and 4K videos with no ads">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Nice truck. That's definitely a steel bed though, so it is ferromagnetic. Have you tried running a compass over it to see if it has any detectable magnetic field?

Reactions: dirkclod
Nice truck. That's definitely a steel bed though, so it is ferromagnetic. Have you tried running a compass over it to see if it has any detectable magnetic field?
Thanks and no it hadn't never crossed my mind but will though .
I like older trucks as I can work on them.:)

Edit...Let me say I can't do that from the tailgate let down but never no issue from inside the bed .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest