DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Was Ready to Kick DJI to the Curb

I'd buy a car that wouldn't let me drive on airport runways yes ....because I have no intention of driving them there in the first place. I have no problems with the way the unlock works as I want to fly responsibly and not take unnecessary risks. So the fact that I am warned of potentially dangerous places to fly is actually a good thing for me
Would you buy that same car if it arbitrary wouldn't let you go to the airport to pick up a loved one? AGAIN it's not about inforcing areas where it is already deemed unsafe by the proper governing body.

Reactions: Croc End and Faster
Not surprised. You guys go around the hoops to fly where you want.
Never had any of those issues but don’t fly in areas you shouldn’t.
Mike Drop. I’m done.
And if you want to start something with me fine do so in a DM 👍
Other than that do not Qoute me. 👍Don’t have time to discuss.
Hope you understand 😉
🤣 Dirkclod you have always been one of my favorites. Just keepin it plain and simple.

Reactions: dirkclod
So today as I was flying in the same controlled airspace, not a "no-fly" zone, everything worked like a champ, albeit with a slight twist. Today I didn't get the normal three items to acknowledge. I was sent an unlock code which I entered and then got another unlock button. Easy peasy. Not sure why it was so problematic earlier in the week or how the change came about since I haven't updated anything. Regardless, I guess I'll chalk the issue up to a glitch in the matrix.

ETA: Thanks for the helpful suggestions. As I already mentioned on p1, I walked away from the experience with some new info and I'm better prepared.

Last edited:
Reactions: jencarta
The issue isn't with the FAA (or whatever governing body is used in you area) establishing guidelines and safe fly zones and those areas being applied (inforced) correctly. The problem is with dji and their arbitrarily locked areas or their flysave app not functioning correctly and issuing an unlock in a timely manner or at all. It's the reason I will never buy (or recommend dji product).
Would you buy a car that won't let you drive in random areas?
Of course I wouldn't buy a car that doesn't let me drive where I want, what is worse I don't think any car manufacturer would even think about doing it.

These electronic mayhem contraptions are in collusion with each other to try and control me. I need the same smart phone to allow me to unlock the thing so it will fly while at the same time I need it to see where I’m going.

Just wait until they all rise up against us. This is just a mild precursor. Soon, only John Connor will be able to save us.

It's a bit of a pain. But picture the kid living near, say, Logan Airport in Boston. They go to Best Buy and pick up a DJI drone. No idea that there are rules governing done use. Hey, wouldn't it be cool to hover over a runway and get a close up of a jet taking off? Next thing you know a passenger jet windshield get cracked on takeoff. This happen a few times around the country, and DJI consumer Drones get banned in the US. At least with locking it takes some effort to do something dumb. I'm willing to deal with a little inconvenience so we can all keep flying.
Look at it like this,car manufacturers make automobiles that will exceed 140 miles per hour but the fastest speed you can drive is on the interstate at 70 mph,and other places in this country and cities have different speed zones,but the government doesn’t put any governs or devices to make sure you can’t exceed the speed limit,explain that please.

Reactions: Croc End
Look at it like this,car manufacturers make automobiles that will exceed 140 miles per hour but the fastest speed you can drive is on the interstate at 70 mph,and other places in this country and cities have different speed zones,but the government doesn’t put any governs or devices to make sure you can’t exceed the speed limit,explain that please.
Big engines with that thrill on the 0-60 times, but makes enough power to go faster than the suspension system was designed for, so we've got to cut it off electronically at 155. Some older more powerful cars just simply ran out of poop at that speed or less.

Well, I wasn't aware of that. I've just been unlocking whenever I get where I'm going. Now that it's bitten me, though, I can plan better. Thanks for the tip.

Part of the problem is that I can't always fly where I want. My main practice area, for example, is a soccer field. Normally, Monday is clear but this week I arrived and they were doing a special practice. So I'd be looking for someplace else to fly without prior authorization. Much of the airspace around me is controlled due to multiple airports and military installations.

But I have one more arrow in my quiver now. I vented and learned something in return. I consider this a win!
Hey I very much understand I use a high school football practice field my self thank the drone gods weekend's no school wink.

I live in the US and my perspective is that of a Part 107 pilot with a good number of hours in the air.

Here's the issue. DJI has NFZ in areas that are uncontrolled or zones covered by LAANC. Their "Fly Safe" map is just plain wrong in so many areas in the US I can't and won't list them all here. For that reason alone, their "feature" for safety is at best a failure and at worst a safety hazard that endangers safe operations by responsible pilots.

If DJI can provide a 100% in writing guarantee that their NFZ exactly match FAA charts, I'm in. If not, they are, by their actions, regulating US air space illegally. This might be interpreted as exert control over airspace that is not in their legal right to do. Personally, I think it should be ILLEGAL for drone manufacturers to include NFZs in drones for this reason.

In about 6 years of flying DJI aircraft for fun and as a part of my business, NEVER, EVER, has the NFZ helped me to be safer or alerted me of an area that was controlled or restricted in FAA charts or mission planning applications. It has, 100% of the time, impeded safe and legal operation, caused frustration, and been a time waste. It provides me with ZERO value and is the single WORST feature of ALL DJI PRODUCTS.

I live in the US and my perspective is that of a Part 107 pilot with a good number of hours in the air.

Here's the issue. DJI has NFZ in areas that are uncontrolled or zones covered by LAANC. Their "Fly Safe" map is just plain wrong in so many areas in the US I can't and won't list them all here. For that reason alone, their "feature" for safety is at best a failure and at worst a safety hazard that endangers safe operations by responsible pilots.

If DJI can provide a 100% in writing guarantee that their NFZ exactly match FAA charts, I'm in. If not, they are, by their actions, regulating US air space illegally. This might be interpreted as exert control over airspace that is not in their legal right to do. Personally, I think it should be ILLEGAL for drone manufacturers to include NFZs in drones for this reason.

In about 6 years of flying DJI aircraft for fun and as a part of my business, NEVER, EVER, has the NFZ helped me to be safer or alerted me of an area that was controlled or restricted in FAA charts or mission planning applications. It has, 100% of the time, impeded safe and legal operation, caused frustration, and been a time waste. It provides me with ZERO value and is the single WORST feature of ALL DJI PRODUCTS.
Most likely the FAA is more worried about implementing a useless RID to be paying attention to the fact DJIs NFZs interfere with the operations of part 107. These idiotic features take the electronic mayhem into a frustrating paper weight.

It's worse then that. Let's say on that road where the speed limit determined by the legal governing body of that area is 70mph the manufacturer decides you can only go 30mph on that road or they decide your car cant drive on that road at all. Or they force you to contact them and ask for permission to drive on that road and that permission may or may not come in a timely manner or at all if you don't have cell service. This is what idji is doing.
To make matters worse there are areas where the the FAA says you can't fly and dji says you can. So your (Manc54) car would say you can drive on the runway even though it would be both illegal and unsafe.

Last edited:
True but they do police them heavily

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman