DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Washington DC

Vic Moss

Premium Pilot
Reactions
With enough permissions (& enough patience during the process) you can fly in Washington DC.

We were able to get all the imagery on the shot lists during both the morning and afternoon windows. So I put my little Mini 3 Pro up to get some pics for myself. I always say if you're shooting somewhere you're likely to not be able to shoot again, get some stuff for you as well.

I wish I had my Mavic 3 Pro on the approved list, but I only had my Mini 3 Pro on it for the OOP Waiver flights. Still a fun couple of days though.

Attachments

• WashDC1.jpg
    WashDC1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 80
  • WashDC2.jpg
    WashDC2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 80
  • WashDC3.jpg
    WashDC3.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 78
  • WashDC4.jpg
    WashDC4.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 77
With enough permissions (& enough patience during the process) you can fly in Washington DC.

We were able to get all the imagery on the shot lists during both the morning and afternoon windows. So I put my little Mini 3 Pro up to get some pics for myself. I always say if you're shooting somewhere you're likely to not be able to shoot again, get some stuff for you as well.

I wish I had my Mavic 3 Pro on the approved list, but I only had my Mini 3 Pro on it for the OOP Waiver flights. Still a fun couple of days though.
Nice, Vic. As a professional photographer, I always take the opportunity to capture images for potential future uses when I am shooting client engagements. I consider them part of my stock photo library.

Thanks for sharing, Vic. Nice seeing my hometown from a drone view! Enjoy safe and happy flying!

Reactions: Vic Moss
Like Jim West (above) I am curious about the process (and costs incurred). It's gratifying to learn that you can do this the right way and get some amazing shots.

Thanks for sharing those. Well done.
I can only imagine what it took to get clearance- glad you did.

Looks like you had just a narrow (and low) slice of airspace around the Holocaust Museum? Guessing that this involved USSS in addition to FAA?

You can practically see my house in that first photo of the Jefferson (just south of the airport on the river), but alas, I have accepted my fate of driving 15+ miles any time I want to fly.

Great photos, Vic. Can you say what the approval process was like? How long did it take? Did you need a minder with you (and need to pay for him/her)?
It was a lot of work. It was taken care of by someone else though. And yes, we had a Metro LEO with us all the time. It was one of many expenses.

Reactions: Tpstr
Looks like you had just a narrow (and low) slice of airspace around the Holocaust Museum? Guessing that this involved USSS in addition to FAA?

You can practically see my house in that first photo of the Jefferson (just south of the airport on the river), but alas, I have accepted my fate of driving 15+ miles any time I want to fly.
Lots of agencies were involved. As it always is with every shoot inside the DC FRZ.

Like Jim West (above) I am curious about the process (and costs incurred). It's gratifying to learn that you can do this the right way and get some amazing shots
Lots of work. And a large team. All paid.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian