DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waypoints camera off center..

Rhysg412

Reactions
Hi I was just wondering if anyone else has had any issues with the waypoints feature on the Mavic, I set my way points to follow a specific route and once I launch and upload to the aircraft it starts to record and folllows the waypoints fine but the camera is way off either to the left or the right of where I centered it on to.

Here is a video for example.. I wanted it focused on the train tracks in the center of the video but its way off. Is this some sort of calibration error or what I'm not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is this some sort of calibration error or what I'm not sure.
Consumer grade GPS systems are not as accurate as you like to have.
You should expect absolute GPS accuracy in reference to the real world of about ~10 ft.

Hence the 'offset' of a few feet to the left in your video above.

Reactions: Rhysg412 and WAXMAN
I have the M2P with smart controller & have been using waypoints. Having graduated from I1P with Autoflight Autopilot, i find the Go 4 Waypoints frustrating, quite a lot of weird things happen. Not sure about Keule’s points, the combined GPS/GLONASS is very accurate but I find that I’ll tweak waypoints or focus points in the field, save, fly the mission again & the see that the changes disappeared. I use my iPhone as a hot spot to setup but turn it to airplane mode after the map has loaded. I’m wondering if you have to sync. the missions before they become useable, a bit wired. Also the controller seems overloaded sometimes so that all waypoints are not displayed. You have to fiddle, zoom in & out to get everything to display. Also using it recently, it was very cold & I kept accidently deleting waypoints, then inadvertently adjusting a waypoint altitude when I thought I was adjusting a focus point altitude. I hope DJI put effort into improving waypoints, it really is a useful programme.

Reactions: Rhysg412
Consumer grade GPS systems are not as accurate as you like to have.
You should expect absolute GPS accuracy in reference to the real world of about ~10 ft.

Hence the 'offset' of a few feet to the left in your video above.

I understand they aren't as precise as people expect but when I first ever used waypoints feature it used to adjust the way the aircraft pointed depending on how I set my waypoints. As I've gone on an used my Mavic the waypoint feature is off by about 30° to the left.. surely this is a problem with the software and not the GPS points or calibration otherwise it wouldn't of worked from the start.

I have the M2P with smart controller & have been using waypoints. Having graduated from I1P with Autoflight Autopilot, i find the Go 4 Waypoints frustrating, quite a lot of weird things happen. Not sure about Keule’s points, the combined GPS/GLONASS is very accurate but I find that I’ll tweak waypoints or focus points in the field, save, fly the mission again & the see that the changes disappeared. I use my iPhone as a hot spot to setup but turn it to airplane mode after the map has loaded. I’m wondering if you have to sync. the missions before they become useable, a bit wired. Also the controller seems overloaded sometimes so that all waypoints are not displayed. You have to fiddle, zoom in & out to get everything to display. Also using it recently, it was very cold & I kept accidently deleting waypoints, then inadvertently adjusting a waypoint altitude when I thought I was adjusting a focus point altitude. I hope DJI put effort into improving waypoints, it really is a useful programme.

Thanks for your reply, I've used it when I first purchased my Mavic and it was working fine but as times gone on it's just got worse and worse but sometimes on the off chance it works perfectly.. obviously you can't rely on that. I have to edit my videos using premiere editing the scale and anchor point to centre the video which is an absolute nightmare just to use a feature that's not been developed properly.

I'm not sure if it's an option for you but I've been using the litchi app instead and setting my waypoints on there before I go out and fly. I can get the perfect route and waypoints set up. I shouldn't have to use the litchi app but this is the only option for me at the minute.

I’ve never used Litchi, only Autopilot which is absolutely amazing, like have a twin brother standing next to you flying the drone but neither of these Apps are useable on the Smart controller, so I’m told. The Smart controller is very convenient and easy to carry around but the lack of a waypoint system is a real problem. I may have to just get another standard controller and revert to my iPad to use Autopilot. Maybe find someone with a crashed Mavic 2 & buy their controller.

Reactions: Rhysg412
I’ve never used Litchi, only Autopilot which is absolutely amazing, like have a twin brother standing next to you flying the drone but neither of these Apps are useable on the Smart controller, so I’m told. The Smart controller is very convenient and easy to carry around but the lack of a waypoint system is a real problem. I may have to just get another standard controller and revert to my iPad to use Autopilot. Maybe find someone with a crashed Mavic 2 & buy their controller.
Ah I see, I've heard good things about Autopilot but couldn't get that as i'm on Android. Litchi is pretty **** good too.. Bit annoying we have to use these outside apps..

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll