DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waypoints flight

Two things:
1. "what controls the starting altitude" - your launch point. Be careful to start at the same location each time to ensure your waypoints are at the same altitude over time. Say you were doing a construction site progress job and start from ground level near the site. Then one day the construction has moved into that area so you decide to start from a nearby hill. Since all the waypoint are AGL based on launch location, 20 feet up on that hill will mean all my waypoints are 20 feet higher, so pick a spot you will be able to launch from for the life of the mission, if not forever (in case you want to come back 5 years after completion and get another shot with more mature trees and foilage.
2. yes you can set the waypoints from the controller, but since so many things are captured in the waypoint data, I prefer to fly to each position, set the proper gimble angle, and frame the picture exactly. I guess the one exception to this would be a quick POI run, I'm going to a light house and just want it to show up. launch my mission and take off. Clearly in this last case I'm saving time and battery, but for missions over time, prefer to see and set each shot.

1708188308543.png

Last edited:
Reactions: MARK (LI)
@Xitor, unfortunately none of that seems applicable to Hyperlapse waypoints, as they apparently don't include altitude...

ALL of the information is coded into the waypoint when set. Altitude, heading, gimbal angle and all camera information. I have run many Hyperlapse waypoints and it is pretty close. Just remember, GPS location in comsumer products is nowhere near precise. Neither is the barometer. Mine generally are within 10' in altitude when run on different days.

ALL of the information is coded into the waypoint when set. Altitude, heading, gimbal angle and all camera information. I have run many Hyperlapse waypoints and it is pretty close. Just remember, GPS location in comsumer products is nowhere near precise. Neither is the barometer. Mine generally are within 10' in altitude when run on different days.
Good point, I have a waypoint that I run once a month to watch changes in the scenery/trees and I've noticed a little bit more of difference in the view than I expected, most likely because altitude variation.

Hey Do&O....did you mention that you are using the avata controller and goggles with mini 4?

To be absolutely clear, I have, out of curiosity. However, for what causes me to pull out a camera drone usually is better flown with sticks.

That said, 75% thereabouts of my flying these days is FPV with the Avata, and about 75% of that is with the MC2. The other 25% Avata is manual with the FPV stick controller.

I pull out the DJI FPV once in a great while when I need a heart attack. Loads of fun, but that bird scares me 😏

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne