DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waypoints how to Back-Up Export & Import

Hi below are 3 methods to Back-Up Export or Import Mavic 3 WP Missions.
All methods below have been tested and work with the following devices
iPhone 13 / iPad Mini 6 / Macbook / DJI RC
Will probably work with Android devices
please lets me know .... enjoy

===========================================================================​

Backup & Transfer Mavic 3 Missions - Complete
[Only similar devices iOS<->iOS & Droid<->Droid]

▪ iOS - Goto FILES/DJI Fly/wayline_mission/
▪ Droid = Goto Android/data/dji.go.v5/files/waypoint
Step 1
Select & Transfer complete “wayline_mission” or “waypoint” folder and transfer.
[Either to your computer for backup or Directly to another device]
Step 2
Upload this to your device replacing existing “wayline_mission” or “waypoint” folder
Finished

Export Mavic 3 Mission [kmz file]

Step 1

▪ Open DJI Fly - Open Mission that you want to Export Mission and save - Quit DJI Fly
▪ [This will give it a recent date stamp making it easier to find & select]
Step 2
a) Select most recently created Mission Folder by date/time
b) Its name will be in the form of a GUID. Example: 6103D3C8-E79A-4B48-BBFE-50932D2E1306
c) Transfer complete folder containing KMZ file & Preview to your computer
⁃ Finished

Import Mavic 3 Compatible Missions [kmz]

Step 1
Open DJI Fly - Create a new Mission [simple as 1wp] and save - Quit DJI Fly
▪ [This will give it a recent date stamp making it easier to find & select]
Step 2
a) Select most recently created Mission Folder by date/time
b) Its name will be in the form of a GUID. Example: 6103D3C8-E79A-4B48-BBFE-50932D2E1306
c) Rename KMZ file that your importing to match the name of this mission on your device.
Example: 6103D3C8-E79A-4B48-BBFE-50932D2E1306.kmz
d) Upload the renamed KMZ into selected mission folder on your device replacing existing KMZ

Open DJI Fly
Go to Waypoints & Open imported Mission
When Opened your location is displayed - [Not your mission location]
Find your Mission Location on Map and SAVE to create a Mission with correct Preview.
Examine all waypoints before you Fly to be sure they are configured as expected.
⁃ Finished

So if I want to import 100 missions I will have to create 100 missions within the RC PRO and copy the name in the imported file to match the file I want to overwrite?

So if I want to import 100 missions I will have to create 100 missions within the RC PRO and copy the name in the imported file to match the file I want to overwrite?
As I understand it, yes! The RC Pro will only recognize missions by name that it created. The import must overwrite and replace an existing mission name.

As I understand it, yes! The RC Pro will only recognize missions by name that it created. The import must overwrite and replace an existing mission name.
If that's the case then we are obviously missing the trick DJI have to create files after we touch the waypoint save button.
I have done it by the "overwriting" method and it works, but I don't want to repeat the process 100 times 😭😭

Reactions: jwilson
If that's the case then we are obviously missing the trick DJI have to create files after we touch the waypoint save button.
I have done it by the "overwriting" method and it works, but I don't want to repeat the process 100 times 😭😭
It's not the creation of the files per se, but the indexing, storing, and retrieval of them that must comport to DJI's proprietary format, replicated by creating a new Waypoint Mission on the RC Pro. It only needs a single waypoint to create the envelope for each of your desired imports to be stored in, which becomes its place keeper. This is already a clever hack to use the superior Mission Hub to create Waypoint Missions for the Mavic 3 Enterprise that the Mavic 3 can also execute.

Reactions: YonnyMestampo
I was referred to this thread from a question I posted elsewhere about Waypoint usage on the Air 3.

Are any or all of these instructions relevant to the Air 3?
Likely no. These are for the Mavic 3 series of drones, where there are Enterprise versions, sharing the same architecture as the Consumer versions. The Air 3 is strictly a consumer series drone, with no Enterprise versions.

Are any or all of these instructions relevant to the Air 3?
I have received confirmation from an Air 3/DJI RC2 user that my Litchi converter and this process works for him. I do not own either an Air 3 or Mavic 3 so I don't have first-hand information. I am only relaying what has been told to me.

Likely no. These are for the Mavic 3 series of drones, where there are Enterprise versions, sharing the same architecture as the Consumer versions. The Air 3 is strictly a consumer series drone, with no Enterprise versions.
This process is more about the software used than the drone itself. Both the Mavic 3 and the Air 3 are flown using DJI Fly. In either case, the waypoint missions are stored the same way with DJI Fly.

The Mavic 3 Enterprise drones are flown using DJI Pilot 2. The existence of Mavic 3 Enterprise drones and DJI Pilot 2 has no effect on the backup/import process outlined in this thread.

I have received confirmation from an Air 3/DJI RC2 user that my Litchi converter and this process works for him. I do not own either an Air 3 or Mavic 3 so I don't have first-hand information. I am only relaying what has been told to me.

This process is more about the software used than the drone itself. Both the Mavic 3 and the Air 3 are flown using DJI Fly. In either case, the waypoint missions are stored the same way with DJI Fly.

The Mavic 3 Enterprise drones are flown using DJI Pilot 2. The existence of Mavic 3 Enterprise drones and DJI Pilot 2 has no effect on the backup/import process outlined in this thread.
Cool!

I was mistakenly assuming that the discussion here also included creating missions with Mission Hub for the Mavic 3 Enterprise when flying with DJI Pilot 2, and then using those same missions on a Mavic 3 with DJI Fly. My bad.

Can Mission Hub be used to create missions for the Air 3?
I assume it is no longer in free, but they did extend it once before…

I was mistakenly assuming that the discussion here also included creating missions with Mission Hub for the Mavic 3 Enterprise when flying with DJI Pilot 2, and then using those same missions on a Mavic 3 with DJI Fly. My bad.
Yes, the "Litchi to Mavic 3" converter will also work for Mavic 3 Enterprise series drones. The way the data is stored in the KMZ file for an "enterprise drone" is different from the Mavic 3 (consumer series) and the Air 3, but the conversion process works for all. The details around importing the KMZ file into the Pilot 2 app may differ from what is described in this thread which is primarily about the consumer series.

Can Mission Hub be used to create missions for the Air 3?
I assume it is no longer in free, but they did extend it once before…
Yes. As long as you have a Litchi account and can export a CSV file from Litchi's Mission Hub, you can convert that CSV file into a mission that can be flown with the Air 3.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Yes, the "Litchi to Mavic 3" converter will also work for Mavic 3 Enterprise series drones. The way the data is stored in the KMZ file for an "enterprise drone" is different from the Mavic 3 (consumer series) and the Air 3, but the conversion process works for all. The details around importing the KMZ file into the Pilot 2 app may differ from what is described in this thread which is primarily about the consumer series.

Yes. As long as you have a Litchi account and can export a CSV file from Litchi's Mission Hub, you can convert that CSV file into a mission that can be flown with the Air 3.
Thank you for the detailed reply!
Cool stuff!

Hi guys,

I've pulled my KMZ files out of the RC controller and put them on a SD card, and loaded them into a folder on my computer. But when I click on the KMZ files on my computer, and open with Google Earth Pro, nothing happens, nothing appears on the map, even if I zoom into the location where the flight path was. Any help much appreciated thanks!

Hi guys,

I've pulled my KMZ files out of the RC controller and put them on a SD card, and loaded them into a folder on my computer. But when I click on the KMZ files on my computer, and open with Google Earth Pro, nothing happens, nothing appears on the map, even if I zoom into the location where the flight path was. Any help much appreciated thanks!
Try to unpack the kmz file since it is like a zip file for kml files. There should be a wpml file inside of the kmz.

As others have said, a KMZ file is actually a zip archive -- usually of a KML file. However, DJI's KMZ/KML files are not compatible with Google Earth's KMZ/KML files. DJI is notorious for using misleading extensions on drone-related files. They also use the .TXT extension for encrypted flight log data. The KML extension originally stood for "Keyhole Markup Language" and was used to store placemarks, polygons, text descriptions, etc. DJI uses this file format for storing their WayPoint Markup Language (WPML) in XML format.

You cannot open a DJI KMZ/KML file containing the WPML language in Google Earth. Google Earth is expecting to see true KML data but the DJI KMZ file has none. As a result, you will see nothing.

If you really want to see the flight path stored in a DJI KMZ file in Google Earth there is a way but you have to do some conversions. I have written several utilities included converting a DJI Fly KMZ file into a Litchi CSV file. From there you can use Virtual Litchi Mission to convert a Litchi Mission to something that can be visualized in Google Earth.

I've been a lurker on these forums for a bit and have been flying different types of photo scanning missions with my Air 3 thanks to this post.

Today I upgraded my Pixel 7 to Android 14 because I saw on the DJI Fly apps release notes page that with the 1.12.2 release Android 14 was supported. Well when I went to update some KMZ files using my PC.... the App isn't installed where it used to be anymore! (Android/data/dji.go.v5/files/waypoint)

I have found the folder 'dji.go.v5' under a new 'DJI' folder in the root of internal storage, but all the folders are empty! Or at least I can't see the files anymore.....AND there no waypoints folder or *.KMZ file that is searchable.

The waypoint missions are still there....so the files must be there still, does anybody have any idea on how to find the KMZ files with Android 14 and DJI app on 1.12.2?

I've been a lurker on these forums for a bit and have been flying different types of photo scanning missions with my Air 3 thanks to this post.

Today I upgraded my Pixel 7 to Android 14 because I saw on the DJI Fly apps release notes page that with the 1.12.2 release Android 14 was supported. Well when I went to update some KMZ files using my PC.... the App isn't installed where it used to be anymore! (Android/data/dji.go.v5/files/waypoint)

I have found the folder 'dji.go.v5' under a new 'DJI' folder in the root of internal storage, but all the folders are empty! Or at least I can't see the files anymore.....AND there no waypoints folder or *.KMZ file that is searchable.

The waypoint missions are still there....so the files must be there still, does anybody have any idea on how to find the KMZ files with Android 14 and DJI app on 1.12.2?
You must use a computer or Chromebook.
Files/internal storage/android/data/GoFly 5/waypoints
From there you can access the files.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne