DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waypoints: M3 RTH on signal-loss while 'Continue' is set

wienog

Reactions
I lmade several succesful flights with the waypoints-feature and all of them lost RC-contact several times for longer periods but continued their planned flight.
Today the M3 RTH after 124 seconds of signal loss while the flight was set at 'Continue on signal-loss'.
Anybody had the same experience ?

No but if you’re losing signal within a reasonable distance from you I would look into that first then figure out the RTH.

No but if you’re losing signal within a reasonable distance from you I would look into that first then figure out the RTH.
Not sure that would make any difference: loss of signal is loss of signal and if the Mavic is set up to ignore any loss of signal and continue it's flight then it doesn"t really matter what caused the loss of signal, no ?

I think the Fly app uses Virtual sticks which might mean that it needs a constant connection from RC to the drone, if this is lost the drone will do a RTH.
That's completely contrary to the new DJI Waypoints on the M3 which have a LSMC "Continue" option, which will override the Loss of Signal setting on the drone. That's its most important feature!

Reactions: jephoto
That's completely contrary to the new DJI Waypoints on the M3 which have a LSMC "Continue" option, which will override the Loss of Signal setting on the drone. That's its most important feature!
Yup but I recall reading some where( will try and find it) that the Fly app uses virtual joysticks for waypoints, that's why I posted " I think"

Yup, this is where I read it.

Screenshot 2022-12-31 at 19.35.30.png

Again, I could be wrong but all drones that use the Fly app won't work with waypoints the way the GO4 app used to which is when there is a disconnect the drone if set to "continue the mission on signal loss" will continue but the Fly app because of Virtual Joysticks, will do a RTH. Watch the video below from 3:45 when the drone while on a mission loses signal, it eventually does a RTH when it reconnects. Again, I could be wrong but I think the issue with the OP's problem is although there is a setting in the Fly app for the Mavic 3 to continue the mission, it will not, again because of the Virtual Joysticks, this might be fixed in another update. I will also try and test this myself to see the behaviour on signal loss

Again, I could be wrong but all drones that use the Fly app won't work with waypoints the way the GO4 app used to which is when there is a disconnect the drone if set to "continue the mission on signal loss" will continue but the Fly app because of Virtual Joysticks, will do a RTH. Watch the video below from 3:45 when the drone while on a mission loses signal, it eventually does a RTH when it reconnects. Again, I could be wrong but I think the issue with the OP's problem is although there is a setting in the Fly app for the Mavic 3 to continue the mission, it will not, again because of the Virtual Joysticks, this might be fixed in another update. I will also try and test this myself to see the behaviour on signal loss

I have flown some thirty waypoint flights now and for many of those I just shut off the RC as a matter of testing the system. Every time the flight was completed normally without RTH when RC was shut off. I had only one flight that RTH'ed with signal loss and that was a flight with the RC active all the time.
So, no joystick commands. It's clear and mentioned on the screen that the flightdata are "uploaded tot the aircraft" when clicking "go".

I have flown some thirty waypoint flights now and for many of those I just shut off the RC as a matter of testing the system. Every time the flight was completed normally without RTH when RC was shut off. I had only one flight that RTH'ed with signal loss and that was a flight with the RC active all the time.
So, no joystick commands. It's clear and mentioned on the screen that the flightdata are "uploaded tot the aircraft" when clicking "go".
FACTS. Thank you.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Thanks for clearing that up

Thanks for clearing that up
While we know that the Mavic 3 uploads the mission before flight, and can continue the mission even after signal loss, we still haven't cleared up the confusion created by the Virtual Sticks of the Fly app, unless DJI has now rewritten the Fly app to support LSMC behavior, instead of RTH. Hmmm.

While we know that the Mavic 3 uploads the mission before flight, and can continue the mission even after signal loss, we still haven't cleared up the confusion created by the Virtual Sticks of the Fly app, unless DJI has now rewritten the Fly app to support LSMC behavior, instead of RTH. Hmmm.
That would be interesting to find out.

That would be interesting to find out.
Indeed. I wasn't meaning to be dismissive of your original post regarding the Fly app. It's just that we know the Mavic 3 Waypoints are LSMC capable, which is in conflict with what we had previously been told about the Fly app.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird