DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

We need legs for the Mavic II

leenanj

Reactions
Calling all you 3D printer designers.

We need some legs to raise the Mavic II up higher off the ground.

The designs from the Mavic I will no longer fit and because of all
the new sensors and lights on the bottom of the M2 it will be a challenge.

Hoping someone can design something and put it up on Thingiverse to 3D print.

Darn, I had an extra set of the legs that were great on my Mavic Pro, however, they do not fit the Mavic 2 pro. I really would like to keep all of those bottom sensors further from the ground and/or landing pad.

PGYTech will have them out in a couple weeks. Check their site to see what they have coming.

Have considered hand catching & launching? I got rid of my ugly Mavic Pro legs a year and 1/2 ago when I started hand catching & launching. It means you can take-off and land anywhere without having to worry about terrain or a landing pad or dirt & grass getting into your motors. It's a little nerve-wracking the first few times, but it becomes second nature quickly.
(It also meant the Mavic could fit in a tiny bag a little easier without the legs)

It's allowed me to fly from kayaks & boats and fly off narrow balconies and out of windows - places where I never would've been able to fly before.

Just a suggestion. It's easier than it looks. I'm a pianist so my fingers are VERY valuable to me - not one nick yet! - (knock on wood)

Have considered hand catching & launching? I got rid of my ugly Mavic Pro legs a year and 1/2 ago when I started hand catching & launching. It means you can take-off and land anywhere without having to worry about terrain or a landing pad or dirt & grass getting into your motors. It's a little nerve-wracking the first few times, but it becomes second nature quickly.
(It also meant the Mavic could fit in a tiny bag a little easier without the legs)

It's allowed me to fly from kayaks & boats and fly off narrow balconies and out of windows - places where I never would've been able to fly before.

Just a suggestion. It's easier than it looks. I'm a pianist so my fingers are VERY valuable to me - not one nick yet! - (knock on wood)

I will have to try it one of these days.
I wish they would have built hand launching into the drone like the Tello.

Did you see the thread I started about accessories?

There's a company in Richmond, VA that's about a week away with several hundred, including myself, that has preordered elevated landing skids with detachable floatation fir the M2P and M2Z.
Screenshot_20180825-120950.jpeg

It will be interesting to see if a company can make leg extensions for Pro.

DJI seemingly designed the new drone to prevent this.

Note, They placed a downward sensor directly between the rear body landing skids, where on the older MPP an MP you clipped in the body extension. Now you will block that sensor and the way the skids are designed, there is nothing to clip to.
The rear leg bottoms, are totally different and mate to the leg, thus again designing a rear leg extension will be a bit difficult, as you can't just slip something over the bottom of the leg as before.

i agree it would be nice to have something in the future.

Not a fan of hand catching, but agree it's a possibility.

Paul C

It will be interesting to see if a company can make leg extensions for Pro.

DJI seemingly designed the new drone to prevent this.

Note, They placed a downward sensor directly between the rear body landing skids, where on the older MPP an MP you clipped in the body extension. Now you will block that sensor and the way the skids are designed, there is nothing to clip to.
The rear leg bottoms, are totally different and mate to the leg, thus again designing a rear leg extension will be a bit difficult, as you can't just slip something over the bottom of the leg as before.

i agree it would be nice to have something in the future.

Not a fan of hand catching, but agree it's a possibility.

Paul C
I've already pre-ordered this arrangement that's already in final testing after being very well received by many M1 owners:

These will work, problem is having to take them off and on before you pack up or unpack. The older style leg extensions just stayed on the whole time. Also look a bit large and possible to drag or cause issues in wind?

But for sure it's one way to go.

Paul C

I tried hand catching yesterday, as an alternative to the missing Precision Landing feature. How do you keep it from flying up to avoid your hand? Are you turning off the bottom sensors? If so, what settings. (I fully confess to being a newbie.)

I actually have those sitting in my Amazon cart right now. I do like the idea of being able to add floats though. Lots of rivers and lakes where I live. If I ever dumped it it would be nice not to have it sink to the bottom so I can take advantage of my DJI plan if I ever needed to.

I tried hand catching yesterday, as an alternative to the missing Precision Landing feature. How do you keep it from flying up to avoid your hand? Are you turning off the bottom sensors? If so, what settings. (I fully confess to being a newbie.)

After 3 seconds, holding the left stick down will disable the obstacle sensors land it gently on your hand. It's why I have never bothered with landing pads and returned the landing gear I used to have. They are just so easy to land in the hand that I can completely avoid dirt/obstacles on the ground no matter what the conditions. It may not be everyone's preferred method but I am so an@l about my stuff that this is the best way I have found to keep debris away from the drone.

Now what I'd really like to find is a gimbal cover that does not scratch the gimbal by design (DJI's is horrible) - still looking for one. I think FStop might have one out now but I don't see how it holds the gimbal securely. That design with padding on the inside seems like it would be ideal but nobody seems to make one so I may have to make one myself with some foam tape or similar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amac123
After 3 seconds, holding the left stick down will disable the obstacle sensors land it gently on your hand. It's why I have never bothered with landing pads and returned the landing gear I used to have. They are just so easy to land in the hand that I can completely avoid dirt/obstacles on the ground no matter what the conditions. It may not be everyone's preferred method but I am so an@l about my stuff that this is the best way I have found to keep debris away from the drone.

Now what I'd really like to find is a gimbal cover that does not scratch the gimbal by design (DJI's is horrible) - still looking for one. I think FStop might have one out now but I don't see how it holds the gimbal securely. That design with padding on the inside seems like it would be ideal but nobody seems to make one so I may have to make one myself with some foam tape or similar.
Here's the replacement I'm using.

It's less clumsy and slightly thicker...

Lid Gimbal Guard Cover Camera Lens Cap for DJI MAVIC PRO Drone Accessories beLOT | eBay20181214_112406.jpeg

I have extended legs that clip on. Front legs push on the tears clip over the rear arms. It looks neat as same colour as drone. Will post images in a few days. Will share amazon link too

Careful on the props. I saw images where a hand catch went wrong and not a pretty site. The props can cause a lot of damage to soft human skin

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gebert94403