DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Weak Mobile Device GPS signal error

hjsantos58

Reactions
Hello evryone,
I'm sorry if this is a common issue you all are tired to see.
I just got my Mavic Air these Father's day and I'm a nuvi.

I have been successfully flying my Drone a few times in beginner’s mode, but when I desabled this mode to be able to set my Home Point Settings I keep getting an error.

By default the setting is on the "take off spot" and I wanted to change it to "controller"s position" option, but I have not been able to do it, because I get a "Weak Mobile Device GPS signal" error
Cannot Acquire Location info.
I have 4 out of five bars on my iPhone 8 and 14 Satellites
I'm attaching the DJI GO 4 Screen shots.

Any one has gone to this issue and could tell me how to fix it?

Thank You
HJ

IMG_1143.PNGIMG_1142.PNG

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
The "14 satellites" notification you're getting is from your Mavic's GPS, not your iPhone. The error message you're getting is that your iPhone isn't getting a good GPS lock, therefore it can't set the home point to the device itself (because it doesn't know where your device is). 4 out of 5 bars on your iPhone is also irrelevant, as that is related to the strength of your cellular signal, not its GPS position.

Not sure why you would want to set your home point to the device though (unless you're personally moving great distances). It's generally better to set the home point to the takeoff location instead, as it will always return to that location if something should happen.

Reactions: InvisibleName
Hello! I have the same problem when trying to fly from a boat. As its recommended you have to change your home point to your mobile device, but always the same Message "weak mobile device GPS signal error" What Should I do not to see my mavic air sinking?

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Hello! I have the same problem when trying to fly from a boat. As its recommended you have to change your home point to your mobile device, but always the same Message "weak mobile device GPS signal error" What Should I do not to see my mavic air sinking?
Don’t fly from a boat until a fix (assuming it’s DJI’s to fix) is deployed?

I know they sell pontoon for landing in water for the Pro at least...on the water it should be easy to visually locate the boat and just manually fly it in, if launch location changed a lot.

Reactions: GoMavicAir
Hello evryone,
I'm sorry if this is a common issue you all are tired to see.
I just got my Mavic Air these Father's day and I'm a nuvi.

I have been successfully flying my Drone a few times in beginner’s mode, but when I desabled this mode to be able to set my Home Point Settings I keep getting an error.

By default the setting is on the "take off spot" and I wanted to change it to "controller"s position" option, but I have not been able to do it, because I get a "Weak Mobile Device GPS signal" error
Cannot Acquire Location info.
I have 4 out of five bars on my iPhone 8 and 14 Satellites
I'm attaching the DJI GO 4 Screen shots.

Any one has gone to this issue and could tell me how to fix it?

Thank You
HJ

View attachment 40414View attachment 40413

Same exact problem with my Mavic Air to this day. I'm definitely convinced that it's DJI's app not the GPS signal on my new iPad 9.7 with cellular. Why am I convinced? I tried everything from restarting, replugging in, different locations, etc. but, my final conclusion was due to the following app showing me that I have perfect GPS reception with my iPad. Please see the screenshot below along with a link to the app. I still can't find a fix.........
‎GPS Diagnostic: Satellite Test im App Store

GPS Signal.jpg

I think I must be being dumb but I am a bit confused by the need for gps in the mobile device.. in my case I have an iPad Pro 10.5 (WiFi only).

Am I correct below:
1) before takeoff The home point is set based on AC gps location so no iPad gps needed for this and RTH will work fine and come back to this spot.
However,
2) if I move location and want to update the RTH coordinates to be where I have moved to then I can set that in the app but in order to do so it requires iPad gps. Since my iPad is wireless only it has no gps chip and therefore the app cannot update the RTH position to my new location.

Is that correct?
Is there any other reason why gps in needed in my iPad or, assuming I don’t need to change RTH point from where I took off, am I good to go with my WiFi only iPad?

Many thanks

J

2) if I move location and want to update the RTH coordinates to be where I have moved to then I can set that in the app but in order to do so it requires iPad gps. Since my iPad is wireless only it has no gps chip and therefore the app cannot update the RTH position to my new location.

Is that correct?

J

Correct..... but currently DJI Go4 app won't respond to a perfect GPS signal from a GPS enabled device. Therefore, Return to Remote Location is useless and certainly cannot be trusted.

Same thing for me when i use my spark weak gps on the phone. but i can use the same everything just use the mavic pro and bam it works just fine so i really don't understand it.

Same thing for me when i use my spark weak gps on the phone. but i can use the same everything just use the mavic pro and bam it works just fine so i really don't understand it.
I.M.O. New DJI GO Firmware needed......... My new iPad 9.7 w/ cellular receives GPS signal perfectly. Return to Remote is a HUGE issue throughout this forum between DJI Go 4 and a GPS enabled device.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth (make that AU$800 worth). I recently bought the latest ipad (6th gen) cellular so that I could have the GPS functionality because I specifically wanted to be able to use the 'my location' for the return to home when on a boat (mostly) only to find that I get the dreaded 'GPS signal too weak' issue making it useless for that function.
I don't understand why there is the 'button' to set this ability but it simply doesn't work for a large section of the drone community which is evident in many forums! If you do a search on the subject there seems to be an endless trail of complaints about this very thing?!

The closest 'excuse' that I'm reading is that it's an accuracy thing - something about >10m that throws up the error.... so what! If you are on a boat and lose sight of the drone or whatever and the Return to Controller function works then 10 m is nothing if it means getting the drone within 10 m of the new 'home point' where you could take control and land safely.
What have I missed here??! Seems like an App issue to me! Am I wrong?

Last edited:
Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth (make that AU$800 worth). I recently bought the latest ipad (6th gen) cellular so that I could have the GPS functionality because I specifically wanted to be able to use the 'my location' for the return to home when on a boat (mostly) only to find that I get the dreaded 'GPS signal too weak' issue making it useless for that function.
I don't understand why there is the 'button' to set this ability but it simply doesn't work for a large section of the drone community which is evident in many forums! If you do a search on the subject there seems to be an endless trail of complaints about this very thing?!

I closest 'excuse' that I'm reading is that it's an accuracy thing - something about >10m that throws up the error.... so what! If you are on a boat and lose sight of the drone or whatever and the Return to Controller function works then 10 m is nothing if it means getting the drone within 10 m of the new 'home point' where you could take control and land safely.
What have I missed here??! Seems like an App issue to me! Am I wrong?

Completely - Totally Agree.......... I still have the same exact problem.

Ok, just did some further tests. This time with two different Android devices and here are my results:-

Note that both devices are running dji go 4 - 4.3.11
Both devices in Airplane mode
I wandered around with both devices to the same locations to ensure repeatability.

1. Samsung Galaxy S7 edge - faultless. Always had the blue dot in the map (indicating accuracy) and I could always update to the device position every time.
2. Samsung galaxy tab S3 - hit and miss. Sometimes had the blue dot on the map and this is when I could set the new home point but often would go to a red dot and this is when I'm getting the weak signal issue.

Also as a side note my ios device (ipad) always has the blue dot in the map but still throws up the weak signal issue?! - But can be 'fixed' (for me at least) with the unplug/replug method as mentioned below.

The following is an extract of a 'fix' done by "Bozora" over on the DJI forum:-

"Hi all

I just found a quick fix on the freaking "Weak GPS" try the following

1. Take off your drone - aint no matter if its csc or auto takeoff
2. Fly forward a little and hover. (or just hover near you, just to be on the safe side))
3. Move yourself to a different location
4. Unplug the black cable from you phone (the connector end that attached to the controller)
5. Reconnect the plug/connector
6. go tap on the human icon
7.VOILA!!!!!! CONTROLLER LOCATION IS SET!!!!

EACH TIME YOU WANT TO SET NEW CONTROLLER LOCATION ....JUST PLUG OUT THEN PLUG IN. WORKS ALL THE TIME FOR NOW TILL DJI UPDATE THE APP."

Don't know if this helps or just muddies the water further. Any thoughts?

I should disclose that I have the Mavic 2 Zoom but that doesn't seem to matter as it appears to be software related anyway.

Another weakness comment, if I may ...

iphone 5s without sim card
--- Old internal battery (wouldn't charge above 64%)
--- Wifi ON :oops:
--- Bluetooth ON :oops:

DJI Go app with RC
"Go fly" etc.
5 - 10 minutes into flight, iphone dead. :(

Fix, maybe, New iphone internal battery, Keeping Wifi/Bluetooth OFF,
and iphone external battery nearby.

Ok, just did some further tests. This time with two different Android devices and here are my results:-

I wandered around with both devices to the same locations to ensure repeatability.

1. Samsung Galaxy S7 edge - faultless. Always had the blue dot in the map (indicating accuracy) and I could always update to the device position every time.
2. Samsung galaxy tab S3 - hit and miss. Sometimes had the blue dot on the map and this is when I could set the new home point but often would go to a red dot and this is when I'm getting the weak signal issue.

Also as a side note my ios device (ipad) always has the blue dot in the map but still throws up the weak signal issue?! - But can be 'fixed' (for me at least) with the unplug/replug method as mentioned below.

"Hi all

2. Fly forward a little and hover. (or just hover near you, just to be on the safe side))
4. Unplug the black cable from you phone (the connector end that attached to the controller)

EACH TIME YOU WANT TO SET NEW CONTROLLER LOCATION ....JUST PLUG OUT THEN PLUG IN. WORKS ALL THE TIME FOR NOW TILL DJI UPDATE THE APP."

I should disclose that I have the Mavic 2 Zoom but that doesn't seem to matter as it appears to be software related anyway.
Thanks, it really works

Reactions: Dazzler24

"Hi all

This worked for my M2z iPad mini 5 thanks for the info Dazzler24

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb