DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Website

Troy M

Reactions
I found this website to be very helpful in deciding whether to fly or not. I have an anemometer but I love the fact you can dial in a certain altitude to determine wind speed/gusts. I hope this helps anyone out there, cheers!

i use this app all the time days before flying and also the morning i am going to fly a must go to app for any drone flyer

Reactions: Troy M
i use this app all the time days before flying and also the morning i am going to fly a must go to app for any drone flyer
Nice. I can only see a day out because I use the free site. I may subscribe to the full site in time. Do you find it worth the money for the subscription?

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
I've got the app subscription and it gives a generally good idea of the conditions over the coming 7 days. Problem in the UK is that the land mass is small so the weather can change dramatically against the forecasts. Who in the UK will forget the famous Michael Fish 'don't worry' forecast :)

I've got the app subscription and it gives a generally good idea of the conditions over the coming 7 days. Problem in the UK is that the land mass is small so the weather can change dramatically against the forecasts. Who in the UK will forget the famous Michael Fish 'don't worry' forecast :)

Wow, that's pretty crazy. Here in FL we are subject to the forecaster's 'spaghetti models' of approaching hurricanes. I'm far enough inland that the storms don't affect me much unless we get a direct hit from a CAT3+ storm. They mostly just clean out the trees. Happy and safe flying from across the pond!

I found this website to be very helpful in deciding whether to fly or not. I have an anemometer but I love the fact you can dial in a certain altitude to determine wind speed/gusts. I hope this helps anyone out there, cheers!

Yes, I give a look to that every time I fly. Gives me a basic rundown of whats going on out there.

Another good free weather map is Windy. For those in the US that need to learn METAR’s you can switch between the METAR and plain language. They are selectable at airports that publish METAR’s.

Another good free weather map is Windy. For those in the US that need to learn METAR’s you can switch between the METAR and plain language. They are selectable at airports that publish METAR’s.
I'll have to check that out. I imagine reading the METAR's will be good practice for my part 107 test.

I'll have to check that out. I imagine reading the METAR's will be good practice for my part 107 test.
That is why I mentioned it.

Quite honestly the METAR model of weather dissemination needs to be scrapped. It was instituted when communication over wires was using teletype machines at 300 baud or less. It is an antiquated system that needs to be updated to today’s standards and not rely on a system of acronyms, many of which are not even intuitive.

I remember it well. ?

I use the UAV app with subscription and find it a good indicator but not always accurate here in the UK. I’ve used WeatherProHD for years for my forecast and found it very accurate. It certainly beats UAV when it comes to precipitation, wind speed and wind direction, all very important for flying. If UAV tells me it’s good to fly then it generally is. If it says the opposite I look at the indicators. Just this week I’ve flown perfectly safely even when UAV has advised I shouldn’t. So I would use UAV to help plan whether you will fly tomorrow so you can charge your batteries, do firmware upgrades etc then use your local knowledge on the day to decide whether it’s safe to fly.

Hope that helps.

I remember it well. ?

I use the UAV app with subscription and find it a good indicator but not always accurate here in the UK. I’ve used WeatherProHD for years for my forecast and found it very accurate. It certainly beats UAV when it comes to precipitation, wind speed and wind direction, all very important for flying. If UAV tells me it’s good to fly then it generally is. If it says the opposite I look at the indicators. Just this week I’ve flown perfectly safely even when UAV has advised I shouldn’t. So I would use UAV to help plan whether you will fly tomorrow so you can charge your batteries, do firmware upgrades etc then use your local knowledge on the day to decide whether it’s safe to fly.

Hope that helps.
Fully agree. Most times the best weather forecast is to stick your head outside the front door.

That is why I mentioned it.

Quite honestly the METAR model of weather dissemination needs to be scrapped. It was instituted when communication over wires was using teletype machines at 300 baud or less. It is an antiquated system that needs to be updated to today’s standards and not rely on a system of acronyms, many of which are not even intuitive.
I can't even remember the last time I heard someone use the term "baud". LOL I remember the old dial up modems for BBS before the internet.

I can't even remember the last time I heard someone use the term "baud". LOL I remember the old dial up modems for BBS before the internet.
Me too. Back in the 80s I provided out of hours IT support. When I got a call I would need to plug a modem into my home phone line, connect it to something laughably called a portable computer (it weighed a ton) then type in all the individual commands that initiated a dial-up connection. I remember it worked about about 1 in 5 attempts. Of course I couldn’t talk to my client at the same time; there was only one landline and mobile phones hadn’t been invented.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daviscj91