DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Well This Just Figures...

I don't really see the need for LIDAR for OA, from what I have seen the existing sensors are fairly good...... unless they intend to allow the drone to fly MUCH closer to obstacle and I think that would be dodgy unless there is side sensing LIDAR too.

BUT where I do see a use for LIDAR is in AGL sensing but I have no idea of the power requirements for that to sense 400ft. It might also quell some bureaucratic concerns if it was used to create a hard limit ....... of course that, in itself ( a hard limit ), could then create some problems if, for example, you flew off the top of a 600ft vertical cliff.

Last edited:
Reactions: DevilsLuck
I don't really see the need for LIDAR for OA, from what I have seen the existing sensors are fairly good...... unless they intend to aloow the drone to fly MUCH closer to obstacle and I think that would be dodgy unless there is side sensing LIDAR too.

BUT where I do see a use for LIDAR is in AGL sensing but I have no idea of the power requirements for that to sense 400ft. It might also quell some bureaucratic concerns if it was used to create a hard limit ....... of course that, in itself ( a hard limit ), could then create some problems if, for example, you flew off the top of a 600ft vertical cliff.
I'm still in the testing/trusting stage of my Air 3s obstacle avoidance system. Trees still scare me.

one potential feature I've always wondered about is a laser range finder on the bottom of the drone to calibrate the distance to the ground. That would make it pretty easy to not break that 400' limit

the range finders on camera bundles seem pretty small so maybe it's technically possible?

Last edited:
If you wait to buy the "perfect" drone, you will miss a lot of opportunities to enjoy this hobby.
the hardest part for me is waiting for the "new drone released" to have the software to match it being awesome which is usually in my experience anymore + 6 months after they come out.. Still burned on how the Mavic 3 now classic came out at launch lol.

I think it should be possible to achieve at least a semi controlled descent after a prop loss or motor failure with a quadcopter. Just switch the direction of rotation of the unmatched motor as needed and throttle up the matched pair.
You'd have spin and probably little to no horizontal control but it should be feasible to at least keep the drone upright and somewhat control its descent rate.
If the intact drone can lift its own body weight as cargo then it should be possible for it to even hover.

Just consider how quickly the motors stop when the drone shuts down on landing, my suspicion is that the motors are actively braked.

The above said I think it is much more likely that bureaucrats will force manufacturers to apply unbreakable range and height limits ..... not that that will prevent anything.
It is definitely possible to "land" a quad if you lose a motor or prop but only if you have the ability to completely stop that motor and it's diagonally opposite motor. It will rotate as it descends but it can be controlled only for landing, not coming home.

It is definitely possible to "land" a quad if you lose a motor or prop but only if you have the ability to completely stop that motor and it's diagonally opposite motor. It will rotate as it descends but it can be controlled only for landing, not coming home.

None of this is possible on a DJI drone since we do not have that fine control of the motors.

I don't think shutting down a wonky or unloaded motor would be difficult for the folks that write this software. With regards to the diagonal motor I am not sure if that should be permanently shut down during the descent, it may be necessary to drive it or reverse it to control tilting on the diagonal.
I suspect the descent would be fairly unstable i.e. prone to wobble.
I have CSCed a Phantom in mid air and I think they are, in terms of the centres of drag and gravity, much more stable than a 'Mavic'. The Phantom wobbled quite a bit during its free fall, though that could only be seen from the log. The gimbal did one heck of a job of keeping the camera level.

Reactions: 3rdof5
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
murad