DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Werris Creek Mine, NSW.

Really cool video. I love industrial flights just as much as scenic stuff and over water flights. Where abouts is this place

Yes, was an interesting site to film.

Genuinely interested, did you need to ask the mine about the flight ?
It's probably open airspace to fly, just curious if you talked to mine management about a flyover, or just flew as you are allowed to CASA rules etc.

It'd be interesting to see what others do, in case I ever want to fly something like this.
Mostly I fly more natural landscape scenes.

@blackomega Whitehaven Werris Ck mine

Yes, was an interesting site to film.

Genuinely interested, did you need to ask the mine about the flight ?
It's probably open airspace to fly, just curious if you talked to mine management about a flyover, or just flew as you are allowed to CASA rules etc.

It'd be interesting to see what others do, in case I ever want to fly something like this.
Mostly I fly more natural landscape scenes.

@blackomega Whitehaven Werris Ck mine

No, I just flew under the standard CASA regulations. The area is listed in the PRD section of the ERSA as D523B, so it's Class G but exercise due diligence as BAE Systems conducts flight training H24. I was well aware of the low-level air traffic on the day and made sure there was no danger of conflict as well as having the hand-held tuned to the local CTAF.

D523B makes no mention of blasting, which I thought a bit odd since there is an open-cut coal mine in the zone, so I made sure to look up the blasting notices from the Whitehaven website, which showed that the next scheduled blast wasn't due until 1300AEST the following day, so that me feel comfortable to fly.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
No, I just flew under the standard CASA regulations. The area is listed in the PRD section of the ERSA as D523B, so it's Class G but exercise due diligence as BAE Systems conducts flight training H24. I was well aware of the low-level air traffic on the day and made sure there was no danger of conflict as well as having the hand-held tuned to the local CTAF.

D523B makes no mention of blasting, which I thought a bit odd since there is an open-cut coal mine in the zone, so I made sure to look up the blasting notices from the Whitehaven website, which showed that the next scheduled blast wasn't due until 1300AEST the following day, so that me feel comfortable to fly.
CASA,PRD,ERSA,D525B, BAE,H24, CTAF.....WTF?
Doesn't anyone spell out these things for us rubes?

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
CASA,PRD,ERSA,D525B, BAE,H24, CTAF.....WTF?
Doesn't anyone spell out these things for us rubes?
CASA: Our version of the FAA.
PRD: Prohibited, Restricted, Danger.
ERSA: En Route Supplement Australia.
D523B: Entry in the ERSA for the area in question.
BAE Systems: Makes expensive military toys.
H24: 24 hours.
CTAF: Common Traffic Advisory Frequency.
WTF: What you scream out as the battery suddenly fails and your drone drops out of the sky like a lead-plated fart.

CASA: Our version of the FAA.
PRD: Prohibited, Restricted, Danger.
ERSA: En Route Supplement Australia.
D523B: Entry in the ERSA for the area in question.
BAE Systems: Makes expensive military toys.
H24: 24 hours.
CTAF: Common Traffic Advisory Frequency.
WTF: What you scream out as the battery suddenly fails and your drone drops out of the sky like a lead-plated fart.
OMG (oh my god) thanks for the translation of abbreviations! I was trying to figure out where you were filming/flying (then) it hit me like an anvil (NSW) New South Whales. My wife and I were there back in April. The last one (WTF) is absolutely hilarious!!

Very nice job. How did you get the constant speed for the duration of the coal carriages.? Programmed a point to point shot?

Very nice job. How did you get the constant speed for the duration of the coal carriages.? Programmed a point to point shot?
No, all of it was manual flying.

Great Vid interesting to see those trains lining up for the big haul. good one nice flying
I found the coal load out arrangement quite clever allowing two trains to "spot" up for getting loaded by passing under the coal chute. The one train gets to circle back on itself like a snake swallowing its tail! What I couldn't figure out was why the empty train that was flown down starting at about 2:00 appears to be ahead of the two other empty trains that appear to be waiting to get filled up. I guess the blue and white locomotives could back up and allow the aforementioned empty train to back up and take the place of the blue/white engine train, that way there's not an empty train in front of two loaded trains. But there's probably a lot I don't know about loading coal trains! Kudos to plextech for getting great shots!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xyggi