DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What’s this Nd filter best for

Chook

Reactions
I am new to Nd filters and need one that’s good for bright conditions. Would this one be good for that?DD890BA0-1B84-4E47-898B-F775C1C90BBE.jpeg

I am new to Nd filters and need one that’s good for bright conditions. Would this one be good for that?
Probably not .. it only lets 0.1% of the light through.
What do you want filters for?
If you are shooting stills, ND filters won't do anything to help you (unless you have a particular reason to want to use long shutter speeds).
If you are new to video, you'll still get good results without them.
Some advanced video shooters use them and many on forums will recommend them but they aren't as necessary as many believe.

The ND1000 is a 10 stop ND filter and cuts the light too much for general use in drone videos.
It's more for making 1 minute exposures with still cameras locked down on a tripod.

Tha
Probably not .. it only lets 0.1% of the light through.
What do you want filters for?
If you are shooting stills, ND filters won't do anything to help you (unless you have a particular reason to want to use long shutter speeds).
If you are new to video, you'll still get good results without them.
Some advanced video shooters use them and many on forums will recommend them but they aren't as necessary as many believe.

The ND1000 is a 10 stop ND filter and cuts the light too much for general use in drone videos.
It's more for making 1 minute exposures with still cameras locked down on a tripod.
thank you so much for the info?

A
I got a set of Freewell variable ND filters for a birthday present, take a look at this THIS thread before you buy anything.
Awesome sounds like exactly what I want! Could you send me a link to them or tell where I can find them

I have no idea where they came from as it was a present, all I can suggest is google is your friend.
I will have a look to see if I can get a link for you.

Apparently they came from Amazon but I don't see them at the moment ? although that could just be me ?

They do work well and stop a lot of faffing around, one for if things look dull & the other for when its bright, fit twist to desired setting and go fly.

Don't you just set your iso low . . . 100 ideal, adjust these types of variable ND (or with non variable ND, change them) to get shutter speed to approx 2 x frame rate ?
It shouldn't change what is recorded apart from introducing the right level of motion blur to video (desirable).

Obviously the ND1000 in post 1 is only for long exposure photography, very little use in video I would think.
With photos, it also shouldn't change how a photo appears in regards to light etc, except a higher ND stop will also create longer shutter to create motion in flowing water, ocean waves, or other movement like vehicle taillights at night.

I'm yet to try my ND64 for photos, but want to do some experimenting next time I'm down b the ocean with some waves and low wind . . . not sure how long a shutter that will give me on my MP, but hope it works ok.
I'll try taking a photo with no ND, say an ND16, then the ND64 and see how they compare in lightness, as well as the obvious blur I would be chasing.

Tha
Apparently they came from Amazon but I don't see them at the moment ? although that could just be me ?

They do work well and stop a lot of faffing around, one for if things look dull & the other for when its bright, fit twist to desired setting and go fly.
thank you I have orders a set of them ?

Tha
Don't you just set your iso low . . . 100 ideal, adjust these types of variable ND (or with non variable ND, change them) to get shutter speed to approx 2 x frame rate ?
It shouldn't change what is recorded apart from introducing the right level of motion blur to video (desirable).

Obviously the ND1000 in post 1 is only for long exposure photography, very little use in video I would think.
With photos, it also shouldn't change how a photo appears in regards to light etc, except a higher ND stop will also create longer shutter to create motion in flowing water, ocean waves, or other movement like vehicle taillights at night.

I'm yet to try my ND64 for photos, but want to do some experimenting next time I'm down b the ocean with some waves and low wind . . . not sure how long a shutter that will give me on my MP, but hope it works ok.
I'll try taking a photo with no ND, say an ND16, then the ND64 and see how they compare in lightness, as well as the obvious blur I would be chasing.
thank you for the information

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots