DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What are some good approaches to getting construction/roofing gigs?

Aviato_Aerial

Reactions
Hi all,

I just passed my Part 107 last month and have flown a few real estate jobs so far. However this past weekend we had a brutal wind storm in my area that did loads of roofing damage to several properties. I figured that this week most roofing companies were going to have their hands full with getting inspections done and bids for repairs, and that I might be able to branch out into flying and inspecting roofs. So far as I can tell, none of the drone businesses in my area even offer inspections as a service, they're all focused on real estate and video production.

I outlined a few benefits that my drone could offer: I could photograph an entire roof including close ups of any problem areas in a very short period of time, even more so if there were more than one building as there would be no need to re-deploy a ladder; plus there is no risk of someone walking on a roof and causing additional damage or falling off. I then started cold calling businesses in the area, but I've decided to stop until I have a better approach, because so far the response has not been very receptive. The second I tell them who I am and that I'm calling to speak with them about drone services, that's usually when I feel like the call is going downhill. Even the ones who I've been able to talk to about the values of a drone sounded like they were just being polite, as they'd already made up their minds when the call first started.

So since I don't want to burn bridges with every person who does roofing in the area, I figured I'd back off and rethink my approach and see if anyone had any words of wisdom. I genuinely believe that what a drone can offer for these businesses would be of great use to them, they could get more information in a faster time than they can with traditional methods. Obviously my sales pitch or the manner in which I'm approaching these businesses leaves something to be desired, but I know there's definitely a market to be filled here. If anyone has any advice as to how they started getting their first few initial clients and some tactics I could try to either make my cold calls more receptive, or a better way to make my pitch in general, I'd be extremely grateful.

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to the forum.
Being you have your 107 now you might want to also join our sister site that you can get lots of info
on being commercial .
You will have to join there like you did here also.
Good luck. Thumbswayup

Reactions: Thomas B
Welcome to the forums - great place to get tips and answers to your questions. Also the search function if an excellent place to search for the many questions a new pilot will have.

IMHO - The roofing contractor either already has the job or makes money doing the inspection. It may pay to talk directly to the home owner and their insurance agent. This way the homeowner can prove their claim and the adjuster has the "evidence" to approve the claim. Then it is up to the homeowner (or insurance agent) to contact the roofing contractor to schedule the repairs. This scenario may expedite the repairs and save the homeowner and their insurance company some money and put some $$ in your pocket.

Maybe one way is to SHOW them what you can do with the drone, and how fast . . .

Take an ipad or similar with you to the call, and have a demo inspection to play.
No mucking about, start it as you take the first overhead video or photo, and drop for the close ups.

A few mins of video, they can relate to that versus talking to client, getting out the ladder, setting up, getting up there, taking 15 mins to walk the roof (or more), PLUS push the safety benefits of multi level dwellings, 2 story or more = greater danger for inspection.

Someone you know might have a damaged roof you can do this with, or just do your own roof.
Of course being able to show the roofing coy just what you can find and how fast would be MUCH better, so the real site flight would be the go, and try and make it a 2 story home.

@Mavic Mac idea of insurance companies is possibly the best, though I imagine most would already have resources in place for this themselves, either in house, or more likely contractors already on the books.
Insurance assessments are more likely needed to be done fast and in greater numbers, where the roofing guy would think "I'll just climb up this ladder and look myself".

Good luck with it, that would be an excellent way to use drones, and you could offer the service in nearby towns for industry you find receptive to the idea. As far as you're willing to travel.

Hi all,

I just passed my Part 107 last month and have flown a few real estate jobs so far. However this past weekend we had a brutal wind storm in my area that did loads of roofing damage to several properties. I figured that this week most roofing companies were going to have their hands full with getting inspections done and bids for repairs, and that I might be able to branch out into flying and inspecting roofs. So far as I can tell, none of the drone businesses in my area even offer inspections as a service, they're all focused on real estate and video production.

I outlined a few benefits that my drone could offer: I could photograph an entire roof including close ups of any problem areas in a very short period of time, even more so if there were more than one building as there would be no need to re-deploy a ladder; plus there is no risk of someone walking on a roof and causing additional damage or falling off. I then started cold calling businesses in the area, but I've decided to stop until I have a better approach, because so far the response has not been very receptive. The second I tell them who I am and that I'm calling to speak with them about drone services, that's usually when I feel like the call is going downhill. Even the ones who I've been able to talk to about the values of a drone sounded like they were just being polite, as they'd already made up their minds when the call first started.

So since I don't want to burn bridges with every person who does roofing in the area, I figured I'd back off and rethink my approach and see if anyone had any words of wisdom. I genuinely believe that what a drone can offer for these businesses would be of great use to them, they could get more information in a faster time than they can with traditional methods. Obviously my sales pitch or the manner in which I'm approaching these businesses leaves something to be desired, but I know there's definitely a market to be filled here. If anyone has any advice as to how they started getting their first few initial clients and some tactics I could try to either make my cold calls more receptive, or a better way to make my pitch in general, I'd be extremely grateful.
Build a portfolio. Use your own house, a friend/parent/relative’s house, whatever. Set it to some nice music. They won’t care about music for the actual work but a well-produced video goes a long way. Send a nice letter (in a 6x9 envelope) with a DVD or flash drive. Then follow up in a week or two. Obviously you can just email this but in my experience people like getting physical media and are less likely to ignore. And mention that you’re certificated and therefore your pics/videos can be used for commercial purposes.

Not for drones, but I sent out 100 letters offering my somewhat-specific legal services 10 years ago and it’s basically made my career. Not a form letter - address and sign every one, and maybe make a nice logo. 99 Designs or similar companies can put something together for a few hundred bucks. You have to look professional, even if you’ve never done a paying job once yet.

Sorta on topic, I saw a FB post from a roofer who offers drone inspections. He was all proud of it too. I asked him if he was a licensed pilot and he literally laughed it off. Not because he was thumbing his nose but he didn't even know that is a requirement. I gave him the drone police speech and he then ignored me. You getting your part 107 is a plus and I always stress to a potential client this is a FAA requirement. There will always be people who don't think the rules were made for them. One other thing I'd mention is you are covered by insurance. Things happen so everyone should be legally protected.

I am interested in this same type of Roof inspection. I have noticed that commercial buildings are much bigger and might lend themselves to being another source for Drone Roof inspection. Has anyone out their been successful in getting a large amount of drone roof inspection for residential or commercial

If you are computer and CAD literate you might want to team your approach up with photogrametry.

Here is an example from my business done with a Mavic Air:

That way you can give fairly precise predictions of damaged areas.....

Apart from that there may be quite a number of roofing companies already running their own drones.

Left you a message in the other thread you started - THIS ONE

No need to pay.

Google for "Meshroom", it's an open source software on a professional level and does a decent job if your computer is reasonably powerful...
I do know CAD a little and do computers pretty well. I have produced some 3D imaging with my drone but not ready to pay the monthly charge for the software

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure