DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What are the best settings for indoor flying?

Good to see people with a sense of humour and thanks to the people who have provided
info of their experience

Good to see people with a sense of humour and thanks to the people who have provided
info of their experience
Props off, hand held, or mounted onto a monopod using one of the aftermarket handles or tripod head mounts that wrap around the fuselage.

43585B82-872E-4ADA-BB90-BA1CC5558D69.jpeg

I have done a lot of indoor flying with a P3 in atti mode and have had no issues.
Im new to the MavicPro 2 and it's sensors, I need to do some indoor flying in an atrium that is about 4 stories high with plenty of
space. Can any experienced pilot out there suggest the right way to go about it with the MVP2. I was thinking maybe Set my RTH to hover and use sport mode so the sensors are not operating? or is tripod mode the best ?... The atrium has large stairs from ground to level 1 then it's relatively open from there up.
Cheers
I have found that the main issue with indoor flying is the GPS signal coming in and out, so the drone switches from P-mode to ATTI, without your control and being aware of the actual switch. The visual positioning sensors, will try to acquire contrasting lines/colors to gain stability, but that is height sensitive, so you maybe stuck hovering at 2 meters. As a joke the best setting for indoor flying is Off, but you have experience with it, so do it on a bright day. GL

After a couple foolish indoor mishaps on my part, my best indoor setting is "OFF"
OK... Inside Job Done - Success.
My main concern was the dreaded "Fly Away" which I have had a couple of times flying outside.
Because we legally have to have a spotter within our licensing laws I have never lost a craft.
When a fly away occurs you simply must be able to see the craft as its functionality goes crazy, and if this happens inside you're stuffed.

With this in mind, not having an ATTI mode was a little concerning with the mavic P2. I have flown a lot inside with a P3 in ATTI mode with no issues so I took HoozierDroneDaddys suggestion and went with the ATTI hack. I would really love this option added as standard on any future drones.

There was metal everywhere and in the standard P mode I was getting GPS going on and off along with compass errors. Went to ATTI mode, still got a couple of compass errors but all was fine for flying, as soon as I was a couple of meters off the ground there were no further compass errors. Obviously had my craft set to hover if there was an RC disconnection. The thing to watch out for is if you hit RTH in ATTI mode (which you shouldn't ever do inside) the craft will switch to use GPS and attempt to RTH as normal... setting it to RTH at current elevation is a good idea if there are no obstacles.

Inside there was a slight airflow that you could not feel that certainly moves the craft around so you need to be fairly experienced as your instant response of correction needs to be in the right direction. Inside there is NO ROOM for error. The day before my flight I went out to a very open area on a strong windy day and went to ATTI mode with the MP2 to check out the craft responsiveness and my flying reactions. I tried to keep the craft 2 meters off the ground just in front of me while rotating the craft 90 degrees one way and then another the 180 etc etc. If you can keep your craft relatively in the same position each time then you are ready for ATTI inside flying.
As the craft moves around you must keep your eyes on the craft to control it correctly. I had my spotter recording when needed and adjusting camera settings etc... I did not look at the screen at all, I was directed by the spotter. One last thing, I was always reminding myself of " a safe move to the most open area" in case anything like a sudden strong airflow eventuated..eg hard left and down is safe... I had someone come in the door and just the extra airflow pushed my drone towards a wall... so, hard left and down in this case was an incident avoided.
Always better to be prepared for anything.
So there you have it a success, all went really well, thanks to all for your input.
Fly Safe
Cheers

It would be great if there was a setting to disable GPS but still have VPS.
I've flown indoors a couple times with no GPS, where VPS was excellent, much more stable than the P3.

It would be great if there was a setting to disable GPS but still have VPS.
I've flown indoors a couple times with no GPS, where VPS was excellent, much more stable than the P3.
Isn't that what the OP did above by enabling ATTI mode? However, VPS doesn't work above 30 feet, and he needed to fly higher than that. However, for his shots under 30 feet with a good ground pattern, VPS should have worked, as you described it did for you.

Attit mode cuts off VPS as well in P3 if I recall correctly so likely the same with Atti hack on M2.

I'm just saying that if you're indoors, GPS may be weak and may cut in and out. It would be best to have it off and just use VPS. This is the opposite of what we would do outdoors with unreliable ground pattern such as water. We would turn off VPS in that case.

This vid was shot with my M2P using the ATTI mode hack. It dosent seem to have any trouble holding the height and that is going over a ping pong table that is a solid color which the VPS is supposed to have a problem with. Another reason to use ATTI indoors in my opinion. I always have all sensors turned off in any mode I fly it in.

Stable height will hardly ever be an issue as that's maintained by barometer, not GPS. VPS is for horizontal stability and not so much for height. Are you sure you had VPS in Atti hack mode? App should show "vision" and RC display should show "opti".

I did not state it clearly but what I meant is that ATTI has no problem with plain surfaces where VPS does. I know ATTI uses air pressure for height. I also thought in Vision mode that VPS was responsible for height. Im probably wrong about that....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661