DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What are the best settings for indoor flying?

Butch

Reactions
I have done a lot of indoor flying with a P3 in atti mode and have had no issues.
Im new to the MavicPro 2 and it's sensors, I need to do some indoor flying in an atrium that is about 4 stories high with plenty of
space. Can any experienced pilot out there suggest the right way to go about it with the MVP2. I was thinking maybe Set my RTH to hover and use sport mode so the sensors are not operating? or is tripod mode the best ?... The atrium has large stairs from ground to level 1 then it's relatively open from there up.
Cheers

Reactions: Gindra
I have done a lot of indoor flying with a P3 in atti mode and have had no issues.
Im new to the MavicPro 2 and it's sensors, I need to do some indoor flying in an atrium that is about 4 stories high with plenty of
space. Can any experienced pilot out there suggest the right way to go about it with the MVP2. I was thinking maybe Set my RTH to hover and use sport mode so the sensors are not operating? or is tripod mode the best ?... The atrium has large stairs from ground to level 1 then it's relatively open from there up.
Cheers
Recommend that you learn to fly the new bird outside in GPS mode first, before trying your indoor experiment after you’re used to how it performs.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Recommend that you learn to fly the new bird outside in GPS mode first, before trying your indoor experiment after yo’re Used to Howe it performs.

Hi Thomas, thanks for your input, I have been flying for years indoor and out... Have flown the MP2 in sport mode and understand its responsiveness and also tripod mode etc... really understand how it performs, just after some tips/recommendations...
Cheers

I was thinking maybe Set my RTH to hover and use sport mode so the sensors are not operating?
OOOh sport mode "inside" - I don't know about that one.

Speaking from the MP side of flying, MP2 isn't too different in flight characteristics . . .

You should have good GPS by the sounds of it, so should be stable.
Be careful of compass errors if a lot of metal involved (staircase / framework ?).
I'd use tripod for sure.
Although you'll probably have good occusync connection being close, and of course you'll fly with plenty of battery capacity and land early (so it probably won't matter), setting RTH to hover is probably just very good idea to do anyway.

I would do a quick tripod fly outside the area if possible, close-ish to the structure, to see what GPS and compass is like, compare GPS when you connect inside to see how that looks.

Sounds like it's a commercial situation, and a fun fly too.
Hope it goes well for you.

Reactions: Gindra
Speaking from the MP side of flying, MP2 isn't too different in flight characteristics . . .

You should have good GPS by the sounds of it, so should be stable.
Be careful of compass errors if a lot of metal involved (staircase / framework ?).
I'd use tripod for sure.
Although you'll probably have good occusync connection being close, and of course you'll fly with plenty of battery capacity and land early (so it probably won't matter), setting RTH to hover is probably just very good idea to do anyway.

I would do a quick tripod fly outside the area if possible, close-ish to the structure, to see what GPS and compass is like, compare GPS when you connect inside to see how that looks.

Sounds like it's a commercial situation, and a fun fly too.
Hope it goes well for you.
Yes it is a commercial gig, grabbed a MP2 just for it... your suggestions are pretty much what I was thinking and
fairly logical when you think of it. My only other query is that I saw on a blog somewhere that the top sensor does not turn off, most likely not an issue as I will not need to get closer the 4 metres to the ceiling anyway.

Appreciate your input.
Thanks

Just a heads up if you do not know, the M2P does not have a dedicated ATTI mode like the P3 does. It can be assigned to one of the RC switch positions if needed. Just search here for "ATTI hack".

Just a heads up if you do not know, the M2P does not have a dedicated ATTI mode like the P3 does. It can be assigned to one of the RC switch positions if needed. Just search here for "ATTI hack".
Thanks Brett,
I did find the Atti Hack but not big lover of changing things up too early as job is not far away.

Thanks for the input... I most likely will head down this path eventually because I have always loved and flown in Atti mode if air flow is not too intrusive...

Cheers

Here is your video to show how to change the programming on your RC switch for ATTI mode. Some change the Tri-pod, some use the Sport positions. Your choice. You could also use a "0" which would put it in manual mode for racing. Fly safe and good luck.

Reactions: Dakotah
Cheers

I fly indoors with all sensors on, rth set to "hover". Here's an example:

Here is your video to show how to change the programming on your RC switch for ATTI mode. Some change the Tri-pod, some use the Sport positions. Your choice. You could also use a "0" which would put it in manual mode for racing. Fly safe and good luck.

Thank you for that, really appreciate. Thumbswayup

Reactions: Gizmo6257
I fugired the concrete would cause you problems

The rebar within concrete can result in a bad compass initialization if you start your drone from it surface. I power up the Mavic hand holding it above my head. I can then fly in close proximity to rebar with no problems.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
The rebar within concrete can result in a bad compass initialization if you start your drone from it surface. I power up the Mavic hand holding it above my head. I can then fly in close proximity to rebar with no problems.
Did your compass give any errors during the flight?

Make sure you disable rth. Leave all sensors on unless you need to get very close to objects. I have been flying my mp2 indoors and it does great. Holds still when videoing machine operators.i havent had to use tripod mode but it maybe useful for smoother shooting.

Did your compass give any errors during the flight?
No compass errors. The magnetic fields produced by the rebar within the concrete extend less than 12 inches above its surface. Try using this iOS app and you’ll can test out your environment.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
No compass errors. The magnetic fields produced by the rebar within the concrete extend less than 12 inches above its surface. Try using this iOS app and you’ll can test out your environment.

It's a bit disconcerting when the developer says the app is "intended for entertainment purposes only" and is not a true metal detector!

480EE71E-880D-472A-BCB6-455359F0FF5F.jpeg

I leave mine turned off inside, with it set that way I have never had any problems.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi