DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air2s indoor flying question

johnweim

Reactions
I've never flown my air2s indoors and am thinking about doing some flying in a large indoor building. I do fly smaller drones fpv so I've had a lot of experience with full acro mode flying indoors and outdoors. My question is: is flying without the gps which I believe would be in atti mode the same as acro mode (no stabilization at all) or is it just level flight with no horizontal or vertical stabilization I didn't find an explanation in the manual. Thanks for your help. Any tips from folks that have done this would be appreciated.

... My question is: is flying without the gps which I believe would be in atti mode the same as acro mode (no stabilization at all) or is it just level flight with no horizontal or vertical stabilization.
You cant really compare a Mavic in ATTI mode with a Quad in any if its Acro, Horizon or Angle mode.

A Mavic in ATTI will aways have vertical hold, a Quad never have that in either of the modes ... the Mavic will keep the height, the horizontal hold will however be gone and can in a way be compared with the Quads Angle modes tilt angle limitation.

Your Mavic Air 2s have 3 stabilization stages though ... the default GPS mode, and if the sat. lock is lost it will revert to Optical mode, using the VPS sensor on the belly to take care of the horizontal hold (if low enough, if the light is enough & if the ground pattern is suitable for a lock, see the user manual for this) ... lastly if the first 2 fails it goes to ATTI.

Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
one of the biggest issues trying to fly indoors ,is that depending on the type of material the building is constructed of and its location ,the drone will still try to obtain a GPS lock, and therefor its possible that it will behave differently, depending where it is in the building,also the prop wash from the drone, can cause problems when it is in atti mode, as it has no breaking to stop it moving in any direction

Reactions: offtheback
You cant really compare a Mavic in ATTI mode with a Quad in any if its Acro, Horizon or Angle mode.

A Mavic in ATTI will aways have vertical hold, a Quad never have that in either of the modes ... the Mavic will keep the height, the horizontal hold will however be gone and can in a way be compared with the Quads Angle modes tilt angle limitation.

Your Mavic Air 2s have 3 stabilization stages though ... the default GPS mode, and if the sat. lock is lost it will revert to Optical mode, using the VPS sensor on the belly to take care of the horizontal hold (if low enough, if the light is enough & if the ground pattern is suitable for a lock, see the user manual for this) ... lastly if the first 2 fails it goes to ATTI.
Thank you for your help. This should be easy compared with flying Mobula 6 in acro.

one of the biggest issues trying to fly indoors ,is that depending on the type of material the building is constructed of and its location ,the drone will still try to obtain a GPS lock, and therefor its possible that it will behave differently, depending where it is in the building,also the prop wash from the drone, can cause problems when it is in atti mode, as it has no breaking to stop it moving in any direction
That's the kind of tip I was looking for - I'm not worried about being able to control it under "normal" angle mode (auto-leveling) and lack of braking; flying little whoops in acro really gives you great muscle memory for recovering from wild orientations. Rather, I'm concerned about an unexpected fly-away due to anomalies with lack of gps. Thank you for your help.

Reactions: old man mavic
I've never flown my air2s indoors and am thinking about doing some flying in a large indoor building.

Purchase prop guards just in case something goes awry such as air currents from the ventilation system or prop wash when near the walls or other structures that may be in the flight path.

I have a set for my MA2 and rarely use them, but ya never know if you need 'em.

Good luck with your flight. :)

So what I try to do is gain signal from outside by connecting to as many sats as possible , than I take the drone inside and use that signal for as long a i can maintain flight knowing that i may end up in atti mode ,but land quickly after as I am not a fan.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2/S in the Rain. Land in the Water.

Last edited:
So what I try to do is gain signal from outside by connecting to as many sats as possible , than I take the
drone inside and use that signal for as long a i can maintain knowing that i may end up in atti mode ,but land quickly after as I am not a fan.
This is misguided.
You cannot magically use signal that is lost.
You can have all the sats in the world outdoors, but when you you go indoors and elements of the building block sat signal, that's it.
Lost sat signal = lost sat signal.

What meta4 said, the GPS continuous signal from multiple gps is what aids the stability. If the sats visibility is lost, it's not just going to magically remember where it is in relation to where it was because it needs the signal to know it changed position in the first place.

On a side note, I will say that Air 2s does seem to handle more stable indoors than my mini 2 perhaps due to better visual sensor, but also 1 additional type of gps it can lock onto. Indoors I at least try to give a little time for it to find a few.

just as an aside from the question ,i always do my drone checks before flying ,by connecting everything up and checking ,if there are any updates available at home, while i have a good connection to the internet
with all my previous drones where I do it in my man cave I have never been able to get the drone to lock onto enough Sats, to get the GPS home point message to take off ,always stays in atti mode
that is until i had my new Mini3 pro ,in exactly the same place ,it will get a satellite lock and give me the take off message, having the three Satellite constellations to link to, really has made a big difference

So here is an example of the Mavic 3 Struggling to get home point in the house but yet when It does , now I can venture though out the Home on a all 4 levels and keep the signal with both the Controller and the drone.

The smarter way as I suggested it go get the Sats from outside and bring the drone into fly in the Living room , however I were to just try to Fly directly from the Living room I would never get the signal at all.

This same approach is recommended when flying from the Car, let your Drone and the controller get the best signal outside , than enter into the Car and fly.

These are the Tricks we use to get the jobs done.

The Full video is on the website.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.
IMG_5445.jpegscreenshot_364.png

Last edited:
So here is an example of the Mavic 3 Struggling to get home point in the house but yet when It does , now I can venture though out the Home on a all 4 levels and keep the signal with both the Controller and the drone.
That example doesn't demonstrate what you believe it does at all.

It shows the drone on pre GPS fix update which could take 10 minutes in the open and still only have low sat numbers, despite there being many more stas available.
If you could get 12 sats indoors with old firmware, that's a good indication that your house doesn't block sat signal very much.
If you try now with the updated firmware, you could probably get 20+ sats pretty quickly in that house.

It's a total mystery what you think putting a down jacket on the drone proves, but suggests a basic lack of understanding of how GPS works.

The smarter way as I suggested it go get the Sats from outside and bring the drone into fly in the Living room , however I were to just try to Fly directly from the Living room I would never get the signal at all.
That's not smarter.

This same approach is recommended when flying from the Car, let your Drone and the controller get the best signal outside , than enter into the Car and fly.
More misunderstanding of how GPS works
These are the Tricks we use to get the jobs done.
Sorry ... it's not

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078