DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What backpack do you use for your drone(s)?

Heindrich1988

Reactions
For years I've been using a simple backpack generically designed for a laptop. Unfortunately, it does not fit my Air 2 Fly More bag, and I obviously don't want to just shove my drone and accessories into a mostly un-padded bag with no dividers except for the laptop.

So, I've been looking into an upgrade. Ideally I want something that:

1) Will fit my Air 2 combo bag. Or has dedicated drone storage compartments.
2) Waterproof.
3) Large enough to also fit my large-ish laptop along with the drone.
4) Looks nice.
5) Durable. I expect to use it on a daily basis even if I'm not carrying my drone.
6) Has straps for weight distribution directly on the hips, like a hiking pack, but not that large.

The closest thing I've found so far is the PGYTech OneMo, which satisfies 1-4 above. I'm not sure about 5, I'm a bit concerned by all the bells and whistles and whether the complexity undermines the build quality. Unfortunately it doesn't satisfy 6, so carrying both my drone, laptop and other supplies for a weekend will be exhausting.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Or do you have a lot of experience with the OneMo to vouch for it or warn me against it?

By the way, on a slight tangent... I don't really understand why people buy big heavy duty cases for small drones like the Mini and Air 2. It seems to defeat the purpose of having a very portable and convenient drone? I get that it offers more protection... but even with a fancy case, it's not like you'd want to throw your drone around carelessly or drop it in a river.

Reactions: Otisangb
I carry other camera gear around (DSLR, lenses and various accessories), so I have quite a large camera backpack (an older model Lowepro is my current go-to, but there are plenty of other decent brands). In case you're not aware, these are highly configurable with dividers that attach to each other with velcro so you can get your ideal (ish) internal layout, so when I take the drone it fits in its allocated slot perfectly.

I'd definitely recommend checking them out as an option. Some of the smaller ones and/or those with an attached day bag section should suit your needs for the drone and a few other accessories, etc., plus maybe some snacks as well. The better brands might not be particularly cheap for what you get, but they are definitely well made; my current Lowepro must be over 10 years old, has been racked up the miles boating/driving/flying/riding/trekking on every continent, and still only has a few scuffs on it.

Waterproof is going to seriously limit your options, and jack up the cost considerably, unless you actually mean rainproof. Truly waterproof (usually also floatable) backpacks are available, but most of the better camera backpacks will come with a pull-out raincover that wraps around the bag and provides additional protection if you get caught out in a rain/dust/snow storm - or even a hurricane/typhoon (I've done all those without harm to the gear within). Packs with dedicated laptop compartments are also available, but this will also limit your options and will typically increase the depth of the bag by 3-5cm deciding on the size of the compartment.

I use this backpack for my MA2 combo Works very well and even houses my landing pad, & glare hood! Compact and easy. Available on eBay.

Attachments

• 1367FCD9-D575-405E-83CA-93B9720D6034.jpeg
    1367FCD9-D575-405E-83CA-93B9720D6034.jpeg
    895.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 67BFE0D2-E204-401B-85F1-95583221A45F.jpeg
    67BFE0D2-E204-401B-85F1-95583221A45F.jpeg
    730.6 KB · Views: 28
I use both the Lowepro Photosport BP 200 and 300 AW II bags. I’ve had the 200 since 2012 and it’s still going strong so I recently got the 300 for longer hikes. Both backpacks fit my M2Z, 4 x batts controller and all my gear for a day hike. They are definitely designed for bush rather than urban travels and there’s no dedicated laptop storage but you might be able to squeeze a laptop into the bladder pouch on the 300. They also have inbuilt rain covers that work well. I find them extremely comfortable and they cinch tight on my back and don’t hinder my balance or movement compared to other backpacks I’ve owned.

Photo Sport BP 300 AW II

I bought the LowePro Droneguard BP250 and it has been the best drone related purchase I've made. Its a little bigger than is needed but I can fit everything in it including laptop, tablet and full drone pkg with 5 batteries and my GoPro and I bet it outdoors also fit a DSLR but prob without extra lenses.

I use the PGYTECH OneMo.
The contained and removable internal bottom bag holds my M2P sand 5 batteries. Partitions are adjustable and will hold all chargers, my controller, my CS... plenty of extra room.
Hiked with it a lot and it is well made... using it about a year.

. I don't really understand why people buy big heavy duty cases for small drones like the Mini and Air 2. It seems to defeat the purpose of having a very portable and convenient drone?
For a boat, I have a pelican like case for transporting on my boat. If I didn't it would end up like the rest of the unprotected gear.

I just picked up a new bag for my M2Z a few days ago from a company called Lykus. Nice padding, very well thought out. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but everything fits nice. It will convert from a backpack to a shoulder bag quickly. My intention is to use this bag for following my drone into areas vehicles aren't allowed, like the beach or walking trail. My main bag can remain in the vehicle and this new bag takes just the necessities.

I like to use a back pack, because I have some very tall landing skids on my MP,
never fold up the legs. Always ready for flight, take it out of the pack, remote is ready, and it does not attract attention carrying to my selected site. And, it does not have to be expensive back pack.

Reactions: Mrmund and Otisangb
For years I've been using a simple backpack generically designed for a laptop. Unfortunately, it does not fit my Air 2 Fly More bag, and I obviously don't want to just shove my drone and accessories into a mostly un-padded bag with no dividers except for the laptop.

So, I've been looking into an upgrade. Ideally I want something that:

1) Will fit my Air 2 combo bag. Or has dedicated drone storage compartments.
2) Waterproof.
3) Large enough to also fit my large-ish laptop along with the drone.
4) Looks nice.
5) Durable. I expect to use it on a daily basis even if I'm not carrying my drone.
6) Has straps for weight distribution directly on the hips, like a hiking pack, but not that large.

The closest thing I've found so far is the PGYTech OneMo, which satisfies 1-4 above. I'm not sure about 5, I'm a bit concerned by all the bells and whistles and whether the complexity undermines the build quality. Unfortunately it doesn't satisfy 6, so carrying both my drone, laptop and other supplies for a weekend will be exhausting.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Or do you have a lot of experience with the OneMo to vouch for it or warn me against it?

By the way, on a slight tangent... I don't really understand why people buy big heavy duty cases for small drones like the Mini and Air 2. It seems to defeat the purpose of having a very portable and convenient drone? I get that it offers more protection... but even with a fancy case, it's not like you'd want to throw your drone around carelessly or drop it in a river.
Heinrich,
Your post comes very timely as winter is coming and I put my boat away I will be looking for a more portable case. Seeing what everyone uses here will be helpful in deciding.

MM,
For those that have the mini, what case did you get and how do you like it?
I purchased this RLSOCO case from Amazon. It’s a similar style of material as the Fly More case but allows you to store the Mini unfolded.

It’s not a bad case, but it has insertable flap that is sewed into the case hinge (For storing cables and such) that I feel is too close to the front props when everything is closed up. I end up positioning my charging plug a little higher so it doesn’t end up resting on the props.

I swear all of these cases are made by people who have never owned a drone before. They ALL somehow rest on the props when closed it seems.

EDIT: Links aren’t working. Ugly link below

RLSOCO Hard Case for DJI Mavic Mini - Fits Mavic Mini Accessories: Mavic Mini Body,Controller,8X Batteries, Charger,Propellers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088H85KTL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_aXYNFbJ3GWC1T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: Otisangb
We got an ORCA OR-20, free from B&H when we purchased a Sony mirrorless camera. We now use it for our Mavic 2 Pro and it holds the controller, five batteries, all cables, the charger, two sets of extra props, the iPad holder that goes on the controller, our 9" iPad and the iPad sun shade. The backpack has rigid sides since it was made to protect mirrorless cameras and lenses. It has very comfortable straps for shoulders and stomach and a metal handle on top to carry it like a briefcase. If it wasn't free, I would have purchased it for us. It works great.

Lowepro back pack. Use it for transport, can walk to a secluded area, nobody sees it when walking to my location.

Reactions: MavicPeter
Endurax Extra Large Camera Backpack Hardshell: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Amazing bit of kit ,i put the MA2 fly more combo in this and ipad mini 5th gen ,lithor mount ,spare props, leads, chargers, landing pad,yagi antenna,set of nd filters ,lens cleaning pen ,sun shade ,hat.
and a Lot of space spare.i tried a couple before this inc a manfrotto but this is perfect for my needs.
it is airline hand luggage friendly as well.
if you need and pics with kit in it let me know.

I use a f-stop Tilopa. Quite a large bag but the great thing about f-stop bags is the Internal Camera Unit (ICU). These come in all different sizes and simply fix in to the backpack. I have three different ICUs for different camera setups so instead of having to re-pack the case I just pick up the ICU I need for that day.

It does all sound a bit complicated and fussy but is probably the best setup I've used. One quick word of recommendation - the Amazon own brand camera backpacks are excellent. I've bought two for my daughter and she punished them through three years of Uni and they're still going strong.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser