DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What can happen if you post drone videos to your monetized YouTube channel?

Strange the FAA taking an interest in such a minor channel, very occasionally using drone footage, and yeah, most channels that are making a few bucks are very low key for sure.
It's been pointed out before that the FAA monitor youtube channels . . . I would have thought perhaps only ones brought to their attention.

I've seen several of these videos now, most state that the FAA contacts them and walks them through the rules such as VLOS, Part 107 required for commercial use(Youtube), the 400' rule etc.

Cheers!

Let's keep in mind that the FAA is required to "Investigate" any reports that are submitted to them. It was clearly stated in this video that someone "anonymously" reported that YT channel so therefore they have a responsibility to investigate and make contact for "Education First" if possible. Not everyone one YT is "easily" reachable but most likely that couple have enough information on their YT/Social accounts to divulge an email address. Keep in mind that anyone can report you anonymously by going to this website:

Fortunately the couple at the center of this story have an AWESOME attitude and are very open and transparent about it. I would guess that several other people became legal after watching this video from last year. Very well done :)

The CAA in New Zealand keeps an eye on YOUTUBE for illegal footage etc. I know because I was caught, spoken to, and being a first-time offender was fined. Did not have to go to court.

Good to see you back and posting again, saw your other recent post.
Yes, quite a few wondered here on the forum where that all went, your post about it at the time was quite intense.

Strange the FAA taking an interest in such a minor channel, very occasionally using drone footage, and yeah, most channels that are making a few bucks are very low key for sure.
It's been pointed out before that the FAA monitor youtube channels . . . I would have thought perhaps only ones brought to their attention.
Someone did report them. Did you watch the video?

The CAA in New Zealand keeps an eye on YOUTUBE for illegal footage etc. I know because I was caught, spoken to, and being a first-time offender was fined. Did not have to go to court.
Being also NZ based, I'm curious as to what it was that you were doing wrong that upset the CAA ?

Being also NZ based, I'm curious as to what it was that you were doing wrong that upset the CAA ?

Easy to view posts in The Wombles profile page, and find the thread.
Although no video link was posted there, a few (me included) found the YT channel with an obvious name search, and it was pretty much BVLOS mostly.

Reactions: BigAl07
Just to clarify, the FAA DOES NOT peruse YT and FB looking for violations. They are quite adamant about this, and repeatedly tell ASIs that isn't their job. I've been told this very thing by more than one FAA employee.

As @BigAl07 posted above, the only time they'll look at a channel is after a report or accusation.

Reactions: Aerophile
Canada has made it very simple. Two certificates, basic and advanced. Both can be used to make money. Both can be used to post to a monetized youtube channel. The difference comes in where you can fly. Basic cannot fly in controlled air space and has larger distances from people. Basic makes it harder to find places to fly in large urban areas.

Canada has made it very simple. Two certificates, basic and advanced. Both can be used to make money. Both can be used to post to a monetized youtube channel. The difference comes in where you can fly. Basic cannot fly in controlled air space and has larger distances from people. Basic makes it harder to find places to fly in large urban areas.
Hi, do you know if in Canada is allowed to upload videos to YouTube showing some parts of the cities, downtown and some neighbourhoods? Can you do this with a drone that weighs less than 250 Gr without having a license? Can you monetize a youtube channel under these circumstances? I have been looking for more information, but nowhere can I find that Canada prohibits uploading videos made with a drone to Youtube. Thank you very much.

Hi, do you know if in Canada is allowed to upload videos to YouTube showing some parts of the cities, downtown and some neighbourhoods? Can you do this with a drone that weighs less than 250 Gr without having a license? Can you monetize a youtube channel under these circumstances? I have been looking for more information, but nowhere can I find that Canada prohibits uploading videos made with a drone to Youtube. Thank you very much.
If your flying under 250 grams you do not need a license. You can do anything you like with your videos or photos. So if you want to use them on a monetized YouTube channel that is allowed here in Canada.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22