DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What display do you use with your remote controller when fly your Mavic

FLPilotshark

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
I just bought a Mavic Pro about a month ado or so! I want to buy a Ipad mini 4 so I CAN SEE the maps and the screen a lot better then using my old Iphone 5S.
I have t-mobile service as well. does anyone fly with a IPAD mini and if you do fly with one, how do you have yours hooked up. Do I need to but one with just WIFI and GSM or what?
Would love to hear your thoughts on which Ipad min I should go with? Would it be ok to buy something like what I have in if you click this link?
Apple iPad 4th Gen Retina Display 16GB, Wi-Fi 9.7in Black Unlocked | eBay

All the best and SAFE FLYING!

Last edited:
I am using mine with standard RC. Spread the device brackets and angle them out as far as they will go. Upper two corners of the mini pad slide into the slots.

Reactions: WAXMAN
Even with one that is cell capable, it will still work without cell service, and you get GPS. You just won't get internet without a Wi-Fi connection.

You don't need cell service to use it to fly with, just wi-fi works fine. So no with wi-fi only.

I thought you had to go to your phone company and activate it and it's like $15 extra bucks a week,.
The guy at best buy just told me that i would have to go my provider, which T-Mobile and hook it up for service.
I am now totally confused!!!! So what you are saying if i Aam only going to use to fly and use it for my display to just get the Ipad Mini 4 7'' screen w/ just wifi & GPS correct?
Either way it has to be activated.

Last edited:
Sorry John, it does not. I use the Skyreat's one because it folds up nice and beat but there are a lot of tablet holders out there.

Thanks for the confirmation as I was pretty sure that was the case. I've been using an old 6.44in phone for my Mavic Pro which has been ideal so trying to find a suitable replacement to be dedicated to the Mavic 2.

I thought you had to go to your phone company and activate it and it's like $15 extra bucks a week,.
The guy at best buy just told me that i would have to go my provider, which T-Mobile and hook it up for service.
I am now totally confused!!!! So what you are saying if i Aam only going to use to fly and use it for my display to just get the Ipad Mini 4 7'' screen w/ just wifi & GPS correct?
The Wi-Fi only has no GPS but you don't really need that anyway unless you want your drone to follow you. The cellular model does have GPS in the iPad.

I use T-Mobile and have an ipad with cellular and years back took advantage of a T-Mobile offer and got a SIM card for the Ipad 2 for a one time payment of $10. Still use it today without having spent a single penny more. However, you do not need to activate anything, to my knowledge. An iPad wi-fi is like a laptop, you don't have to activate one of those when you buy it, just find a wi-fi source and join it. Same thing with an iPad.

So yes, get a cellular model if you find a cheap and just don't bother putting in a SIM (unless you want that function) but don't hold out for only that. A used wi-fi only will also work just fine if you find a cheap one. You just need to connect it to your own wi-fi and down load the DJI app and you are in business to go flying with it. I am not sure but unlike phones, I don't think iPad were locked to a cellular user, so no need to get one that is unlocked, in the same way you would if you were getting a phone.

There are plenty of good priced Mini 4 iPads on ebay. Just buy one, clear it of any apps you don't feel you need, turn it to airplane mode and go fly with it, after you have down loaded the DJI app of course. It really is that simple. I was always using my iPhone 6 to fly with but always turned it to airplane mode when going flying, so it is as if I had no SIM card fitted, really. Now I use the Wunderphone but again I have no SIM card fitted because I use it only to fly with.

Something to watch out for with iPad mini’s is that one of the long edges has magnets in it for attaching styli. These may have an effect on the hall sensors that are used by the gimbals in the RC. I fly with the home button on the right which keeps the magnets away from the RC and haven’t had any problems.

Reactions: msorb
I fly my Mavic Pro Plat' with a Huawei P10 [Android] phone ... Have had absolutely no problems with it.

If you're just going to use your tablet to fly you don't need cell service. You can use the tablet's wifi to connect to your phone using mobile hotspot and you're good to go. I bought a Lenovo 10 inch Tab 4 wifi only and I hardly connect to my phone. I usually fly around my house so i use my home wifi if needed. The reason you would want to connect to the internet is so you can see the map of the area you're flying in but you don't even need to do that. If you know where you're going to fly you can preload the maps of the area you're going to fly in when you're at home and then they'll be cached on your device. You can go to you tube for instructions on exactly how to do that.

Also you might need to connect to your phone if you need DJI authorization to fly in a warning zone.

After talking to T-Mobile instead of flying with a Ipad Mini 4 WIFI &Cellular, I have decided to go with the new IPhoneXR since I am getting a 350 dollar rebate since I have been a member for longer then 15 years for only 329.99... It has a 6.1''display screen vs the I-pad mini 4 that has a 7.9 inch display!

The million dollar question is has anyone used the new IPhone XR with there Mavic drones and how well does it work with Dji go Pro app???

Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 9.36.39 AM.png

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daviscj91