Get more from your Mavic
The largest Mavic community in the world
Join Us Now

What do Yagi antenna types mean?

Giygas

Reactions
Hello, I often see Yagi range extenders in e-shops described as "Type 6", "Type 2" etc, example: Yagi Antenna Signal Booster 2.4Ghz (Type 6) and I'm curious what does that mean? It's what's made me hesitant about buying one as I have no idea what it means and Googling brought me no information either.

I'd also like to ask a secondary question which is: are there legit omnidirectional range extenders available for the Mavic Mini? I only saw results from Aliexpress and I am hesitant to order things like this from there.

StantonZ

Reactions
The "types" are irrelevant in this case; the Yagi antennas for our drones are either built for 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz (depending on WiFi regs in your country). It would help if you identified which drone you have, but you can buy Yagi's specifically made for the controller/drone you have (e.g. I bought one for the MA2 RC). I wouldn't pay attention to the omnidirectional stuff.

Reactions: wardtom084

wardtom084

Reactions
The "types" are irrelevant in this case; the Yagi antennas for our drones are either built for 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz (depending on WiFi regs in your country). It would help if you identified which drone you have, but you can buy Yagi's specifically made for the controller/drone you have (e.g. I bought one for the MA2 RC). I wouldn't pay attention to the omnidirectional stuff.
How do you hook it up. It has to be part of the chain between the finals in a transmitter to the antenna.

Dbez1

Reactions
If you have a Mini1, it can extend your range and give you better signal strength. You simply slide them down over your antennas. They can also be used in conjunction with parabolic reflectors. I had this combination when I had my original Mini and it worked great. If you have a Mini2 you shouldn’t need them.

Derek ZA

Reactions
Any other hams here? This is not possible.
@wardtom084 the existing antenna on the transmitter/remote controller serves as the driven element, reflector and directors are added to that at calculated values to complete the yagi array, it works, I have done it and tested it.
As for the OP's second question; I personally would not bother with active signal amplifiers as an 'add-on' to the existing RC radio frequency circuitry, altering transmitters that runs at such high frequency is a very exact science, a minor design flaw can significantly increase standing wave ratio which is detrimental to the whole excercise and causes general RF 'pollution'. I found that adding the passive slip-on yagi's and parabolic reflectors goes a long way in making up for what the Mini lacks in 'occusinc' technology.

Reactions: scro and Dbez1

scro

Reactions
Any other hams here? This is not possible.
The only bit on a yagi antenna electrically connected to the transmitter output is the driven element. Similarly, the parabolic reflector on a microwave dish isn't electrically connected to the transmitter. As @Derek ZA says, These "slip on" range extenders put a reflector element behind the driven element and several directors in front of the driven element to make the stock omni-directional antennas on the remote directional. They don't need to be electrically connected to the driven element, just physically in the right place relative to each other.

Reactions: Dbez1