DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What do you do when you lose line of sight?

My fly buddy’s Mavic Pro has Homelock. Lost sight of your bird, engage Homelock, pull back on right stick and it flies toward you. Apparently, this will never be a feature on the MA. Crazy...even the cheapest little toy drones have this.
Anyway, like to know how everyone deals with losing sight of your MA.

you have that option in the app options, there is home lock or course lock or both, cant recall any more, I used those frequently with P2 but not using em with mavic, since my mavic is hacked I dont have radar icon but Im always aware of the scenery around and if Im out of the sight Im looking for the familiar surroundings to find the exact location, also there is RTH if needed but I used it only once for the testing, generally always fly back and land manually

Tkoglin has real good advice for you. Follow it is the only thing I would add
that is great advice but sometimes its tough when searching i haven,t ever had one fly away but have had trouble locating them i fly with locaters on my drones now . haven,t had to actually had to use it but have feild tested them alot . spark is useually right were it had any interferance but the mavic pro i,ve witnessed it twice tumble and get it together and get back up

The best is to use the map(or radar), rotate the arrow pointing your home point and press forward(or point opposite and press reverse). An alternative is to use Tapfly in Cohordinate mode, tapping your home point as target:however I find this mode more tricky and less straightforward than the simple use of the map.

Usually, the map and the flight telemetry readings are enough for me to be able to reorient the MA towards me and fly it back but not always. In at least three occasions, I have completely lost orientation of the AC - I know how far it is and where it is but I can't get it to reorient towards me. In all three cases, I was low on battery and my actions were hurried and haphazard; small incremental moves are what are required to reorient the AC but I tend to panic a little in such situations. And in all three cases, I had to rely on the GO HOME function - I don't use this function a lot but for emergencies, it is your best bet and it has never failed me. You can, at the very least, use it to quickly reorient your AC towards you in a matter of a second or two. I don't think there is a quicker way for doing that. Once the AC is reoriented towards you, you can interrupt/stop the GO HOME function and fly it to where you are manually if you want to.

I understand the advice of a few here to learn and make use of the radar but I have found that to be too complicated and sometimes unreliable. Often times, I have found the radar display on mine is off by a large margin - may be the compass on my phone needs re calibration, may be I am reading the radar wrong. But either way, I don't trust it; and therefore don't use it. Plus, when you are truly lost as to where your AC is and which way it is flying, the quickest way to recover is to make use of the RTH function (assuming, of course, that you have reviewed and adjusted your RTH height to a safe level before you started the flight - otherwise, it may as well be the quickest way to get in to more trouble or even lose your AC). As I said, I do understand the value in learning to read the radar and make use of it, but it is not for me.

The orientation map is the best thing on my screen, I watch that as much as I frame shots.
Just have to be sure that the drone arrow and ~ direction on the ground are about the same before take off, after the little lady tells you home point recorded.
In the air, I find it is great to just aim down that green home line, and push that left stick forward :)

I don't use the sat view, or maps for that matter, just the plain screen.
Pretty much every time I fly I'm working offline and it's just a plain screen, nothing to clutter it up, try that.

Try using RTH a bit when you are in VLOS and no obstacles to worry you, then as you warm to it more, fly out a bit more and do it (watching the map), it works great every time I've used it, though I prefer flying myself most times.

You probably know the pause button is right there on the controller should you need a short break to gather yourself.
Just hit that, and turn the drone a bit, watch the map, work out where you're at, then start flying again.

My fly buddy’s Mavic Pro has Homelock. Lost sight of your bird, engage Homelock, pull back on right stick and it flies toward you. Apparently, this will never be a feature on the MA. Crazy...even the cheapest little toy drones have this.
Anyway, like to know how everyone deals with losing sight of your MA.
I use the radar display. Its actually easier to fly using the radar display than eyes on your drone

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54