DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What Do You Do with Your Unedited Video.

slimcobra

Reactions
Last week I got some really good video of the Disney cruise ship leaving the port. I trimmed it down and made my video, but I have a lot of other footage that didn't make the cut but I really like. I have encountered this with other videos I have recorded as well. It seems sad to just trash the footage but it take up so much room. How do you guys handle this? By the way here is a link to it.
Exploration Tower

Reactions: mnis
Portable hard drives are cheap these days. I delete videos that I'll clearly never use because they're technically weak, such as exposure being off, but I archive everything else. Of course, I'm also selective about what I shoot. I don't just start the camera the second i take off.

Depends on how seriously you are about saving that type of footage. Personally, I have a SSD card in my computer where I store all of my files. I use it for direct editing. Those files are then backed up to a HDD in the same computer... mainly because it's what the SSD replaced and those files are then also backed up wirelessly to a remove HDD.

Basically.... you can look at picking up a 4-8TB wither wireless or wired drive for pretty cheap and back up the files to it. When it fills up, stick it on the shelf and buy another.

Note: I'm not one to launch the drone and take 30 minutes of video every time. So a few TB of storage is going to last for while.

Reactions: mnis
Its a great feeling of freedom to just shoot whenever and whatever... Terrabytes of space is awesome until a drive fails. Eeeek , perhaps I should not have typed that. Gotta work on my RAID array to prevent catastrophic results.

Reactions: Aww@Mavic and mnis
I keep all my videos on an external HD so I can go back to it any time. The HD was bought just for drone flights just in case of legal issues later down the road and I have proof of flight.
Cheap insurance [emoji6]

Reactions: BD0G and mnis
I used to save everything as well but after a while you learn to let go and just delete. I’ve shot things that I thought was good only to go back months later and see they were not as good as I felt at the time.

Reactions: WAXMAN and Superjam
It is interesting how everyone prefers to save almost all the footage taken.

I have been shooting photos for more than 15 years. I shot say 300 pictures in one trip, but mainly edit and save 40 to 80. And I am a semi professional, so I do not shoot everything I see, but try that every photo be perfect! Then, after editing, I save the edits (because obviously that are the best in technical quality, composition, colors, telling a story, etc.). The remaining pictures, generally I delete them all, because after years I realized that I never come back to them again.

Now I have been shooting videos (and photos) with my MP for almost two years. And I apply the same principle: Delete everything that did not pass the edit-phase.

I know it is hard to delete precious material. But think about it: How often do you watch older unedited footage of lower quality? Maybe you think it might be useful for edits you may do in the future. Think again: How often do you come back to old footage to make a new edit of those?

Definitely it is a personal thing. But this is my experience...

Regards to all and happy filming!

Last week I got some really good video of the Disney cruise ship leaving the port. I trimmed it down and made my video, but I have a lot of other footage that didn't make the cut but I really like. I have encountered this with other videos I have recorded as well. It seems sad to just trash the footage but it take up so much room. How do you guys handle this? By the way here is a link to it.
Exploration Tower
If I really don't care for the footage I purge it, I want space for future clips when I become more skilled.

Reactions: WAXMAN
Exploration Tower

Like I said before, anything you deem of value and irreplaceable, copy it to 2 locations. I just had a 4TB drive fail, but fortunately, I can recover. It is work but nothing was lost. I maintain a database which I can use for recovery. It also helps to be somewhat OCD affected.

Was it a Seagate? I had a new 750GB fail in 30 days on my laptop, then 2 months later had a 4TB fail and also a 2TB fail a few weeks later, all SEAGATE. I shall never buy another Seagate. Lost a lot of photos and other data. Seagate offer to replace them but not recover the data. For that they said I would have to pay a minimum of $750 and possibly up to $2,500 to get the lost data recovered, which I could not afford to do. Who needs a replacement HD when it is the data that is lost? Waste of time Seagate. Did I mentioned I am not a Seagate fan?

Just a note, I uses a company called Backblaze for continuous backing up of everything on my computer. Since then, I've had had around 4 or 5 HD failures and have recovered, through them, all my data. Very reasonable prices also.

I have a 4TB My Passport and another 2TB wireless Bluetooth that downloads SD cards on the Go. It was very useful on my trips to Maui. It also doubles as a battery charger with a USB

I agree with the thoughts regarding Seagate drives, had 4 brand new Seagate drives, 3 failed within 3 months. Changed to Western Digital, 1 failure in over 10 years of use. Regarding shooting videos, shoot what you need, then edit to a watchable length. All you discard for your final "product" delete, you will never look or use them (that is why they did not finish up in your end result.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
Yeah I think I might pick up an external and just drop it on that. I'm sure in six months I look at most of it and trash it but for now it would be nice to hang on to it a bit longer.

I have a 1TB dropbox account and upload everything there. With selective sync it's only on DB and not my computer.

It is interesting how everyone prefers to save almost all the footage taken.

I have been shooting photos for more than 15 years. I shot say 300 pictures in one trip, but mainly edit and save 40 to 80. And I am a semi professional, so I do not shoot everything I see, but try that every photo be perfect! Then, after editing, I save the edits (because obviously that are the best in technical quality, composition, colors, telling a story, etc.). The remaining pictures, generally I delete them all, because after years I realized that I never come back to them again.

Now I have been shooting videos (and photos) with my MP for almost two years. And I apply the same principle: Delete everything that did not pass the edit-phase.

I know it is hard to delete precious material. But think about it: How often do you watch older unedited footage of lower quality? Maybe you think it might be useful for edits you may do in the future. Think again: How often do you come back to old footage to make a new edit of those?

Definitely it is a personal thing. But this is my experience...

Regards to all and happy filming!

Different people take photos and videos for different reasons and I'm the opposite of you, while I like to try and take decent photos and videos the real value of them is the memories. There's many photos I took of my previous dog that I'm proud of particularly those of him leaping through the water with all the droplets perfectly frozen but what surprised was when he passed away, those weren't the shots I was drawn to it was all the boring, often poor quality photos I'd taken of him around the house when I'd got a new camera or lens and was practicing with it to get better as I badly missed seeing him around the house. After that I started using a digital photo frame and these days I have a beautiful 4K tablet as a digital photo frame which has around 20,000 photos loaded on it from the last 20 years to randomly jump through.

I bought my first action camera when I first started getting into mountain biking, I took a lot of long boring videos that I stuck aside and didn't look at for years. Then when i was going back through those videos I loved seeing them again, the people who'd got me into cycling I hadn't seen for years, how utterly rubbish I was at mountain biking, seeing what a lap looked like on the first endurance race I did, watching me completely muck up a duathlon transition and almost crashing with cramp. I stopped taking videos for a while because what's the point when they just sit there but their value is later on when the memory has faded, it really frustrates me the gaps when I didn't bother using the camera.

As much as it upsets me to admit it my current dog is getting older as he'll be ten years old in a few months and when does pass away, I know how much I am going to enjoy going back to my first Mavic clips when I was taking him out each day for a walk and practicing with the drone. He absolutely adores the drone and while many of those videos are worthless to make a pretty edit, they're worth it to me to see him look so excited and happy as he watches the drone. And it's not just him either as the area I used to practice with the drone even in the last couple of years has changed completely, it was a wide open spot perfect for the drone but now the trees have grown to a good height I don't fly the drone there any more whereas they've been chopping down the trees on the other side so within a couple of years it's going to look completely different to my early Mavic flights. Which I'll forget until I watch those videos.

It all needs a reasonable amount of storage but the price of the storage is a fraction of the price of the equipment that took the photos and videos and it's easy enough to have multiple backups these days even without online storage. The value of the photos and video are far more because once they're gone and can never be replaced.

In reference to hard drive failure rates people are quick to complain about Seagate drives based on very small sample sizes, BackBlaze is a cloud storage company who buy many of these drives and their first choice is usually Seagate which don't have a high failure rate. In fact last year their stats showed WD as worse than any other Seagate model they had but the reality is all of them have relatively low failure rates. By far the worst drives for me personally have been Western Digital but wouldn't affect my decision in any way when choosing a new drive, the only reason I don't have any at the moment is they don't produce consumer 12TB or larger drives.

I've worked with thousand of hard drives at work including extremely expensive enterprise grade fibre channel hard drives and I've seen failures all over the place, what's crucial is you should never trust any brand of hard drive with your data and it should always be backed up in at least one location separate to the main drive. Also RAID 1 is not a backup solution, it's a common mistake made and unfortunately one I've had to explain to people when their data is gone. The reason for RAID 1 (where data is mirrored across the array) is to provide continual uptime when a drive fails so it's particularly useful for a server but a separate backup solution is required, this is because what happens to one drive happens to the other so if data is deleted, corrupted or encrypted by cryptographic malware it's potentially lost. There's also further issues I've seen such as a drive failing silently in the array so you don't realise that the redundancy is gone and you're running on one drive so when that drive fails, the whole array is gone and so is all the data.

Tl:dr - I keep all my data and make sure you back up what you don't want to lose

Reactions: slimcobra
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13