DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What do YOU do?

Where does the DJI FPV and the Avata fall into ? Both of them have cameras. Maybe some of us use the camera not for creativity, but as our “eyes” during flight.

Purpose of DJI camera drones is to take photographs & video. You have to love photography, that’s the point. If flying is your thing then get an RC aircraft where people really fly the aircraft rather than depend on all the automation.
I flew rc sailplanes for over 25 yrs straight, loved flying on the slope and at great distances like the birds. In fact I flew with birds all the time. They would chase me, but never in a aggressive way. I love to fly. I love to fly drones and it takes practiced skill to do it well in so many ways. Yes you can let go of the stick if you need or want to and it remains stable because of GPS, that's a plus. But flying skill is something that has to developed, whether with a plane or a drone. When I flew an airplane with a camera on board I had the movements down , never gave a second thought about how to turn into the wind or how to take advantage of available lift, it was automatic for me like a involuntary reflex and didn't give it a second thought, all the while never taking my eyes off it for a second. Although I had a camera on board there was no heads up display. So taking your eyes off it for whatever reason would be unaceptable. I have no issue with not taking pictures while flying at all. Just to fly for fun is the reason I bought Drones in the first place. If it wasn't fun I wouldn't do it at all.

Reactions: djwak59 and Dbez1
I live in Wales in the U.K. and we have more than 450 Castles to visit, lots of Defensive forts, Manor House’s , really spoilt for choice. Cheers Len
You know I hate you 😆😆😆😆😆😆

If I had that sort of imagery around, no doubt I'd fly the cameras a lot more.

Camera drone fun:
  1. You are a photographer and enjoy doing landscape photography. You need to fly BVLOS and move quick between potential points of view, or you'll miss 95% of the shots.
  2. Long range/exploration, just takeoff and explore all the surroundings in a 5Km radius (depending on your drone capabilities and long range experience). Microsoft Flight Simulator, but with better graphics.
  3. 7x optical zoom, aka, the binoculars of the XXIst century.
  4. Situational awareness, aka Drone TV (something happens nearby, just fly there, keep a distance and use the tele).
  5. Low altitude flight just above the treeline.
  6. Use OpenDroneID or DroneScanner to catch other pilots nearby and locate them with your drone.
  7. Don't get caught doing any of the above.
Legal camera drone fun:

PS: At the current moment, I have 500 hours of camera drone fun according to Airdata

You must be new to the hobby.
Actually I’m not. So I take it, to you anyway, DJI FPV and Avata ARE camera drones, and should be treated as such ? Hmmmm, since I’m not a creative photographer, like yourself, I’m gonna bet it would be pretty difficult to get a good focus on your subject if you were flying that fast. Good thing they’re are cameras on those drones so their pilots don’t fly around into things.
Pardon me for not being “creative” enough to want to fly just for my own visual experience of flight.

Purpose of DJI camera drones is to take photographs & video. You have to love photography, that’s the point. If flying is your thing then get an RC aircraft where people really fly the aircraft rather than depend on all the automation.
Very good answer, cheers Len

I respectfully disagree. You can make flying a drone as challenging (and fun) as you want depending on where you fly. Alex (from Bulgaria) is a perfect example of this. His flying skills are awesome and he posts almost every day. On Tuesday, he posted

Vitosha under fresh snow.​

Last edited:
Reactions: djwak59 and Rchawks
I have several DJI camera drones, have sold others. I also have the FPV and the Avata.

I got the FMC with every one. However, only the FPV and Avata regularly consume more than one battery on an outing. Partly because the batteries don't last as long, but mostly because for me flying camera drones, staying VLOS, is almost as boring as watching paint dry.

So, I pretty much never use all this flight capacity I have with camera drones. Often I don't even use an entire battery on a flight.

So, what do others do with their camera drones that's so fun you're blow through all the FMC batteries when out just for some fun flying?

These days, I almost never fly a camera drone "for fun". It isn't, for me.

I have several DJI camera drones, have sold others. I also have the FPV and the Avata.

I got the FMC with every one. However, only the FPV and Avata regularly consume more than one battery on an outing. Partly because the batteries don't last as long, but mostly because for me flying camera drones, staying VLOS, is almost as boring as watching paint dry.

So, I pretty much never use all this flight capacity I have with camera drones. Often I don't even use an entire battery on a flight.

So, what do others do with their camera drones that's so fun you're blow through all the FMC batteries when out just for some fun flying?

These days, I almost never fly a camera drone "for fun". It isn't, for me.
I almost never get bored flying my drones. For me it has become an adventure and an opportunity to get out and explore places that I would never have seen if it weren’t for drones.

I do however, find that practicing flying skills with a camera drone can get a bit old. That’s why I’m getting into FPV. The adrenaline rush and amazing footage that you can get from an FPV drone, offers an entirely different perspective on flying.

I’m also teaching myself Premier Pro and am always trying to create something new and exciting. Every time I make another video, I try a different technique so that I’m always learning something new. The day I stop learning is the day that I stop flying.

Last edited:
I have an Air2S and 8 batteries. I really enjoy creating hyperlapse videos but they take time and batteries. I can make a 15 second hyperlapse (+/- 375 images at 2 second interval) if I have a full battery at the beginning of the flight. I often use all 8 batteries in a session. A few batteries to create some hyperlapse waypoint missions and then the rest of the batteries to actually capture the imagery. Not all my hyperlapses are waypoint missions...but they usually require the least amount of stabilization (Premier Pro - Warp Stabilizer) during editing so I always try to get a few in. Here is an example of some of the hyperlapse videos I have done lately. I am lucky to live in a beautiful part of CA and all these hyperlapses were shot within 10 miles of my house. Shooting drone hyperlapse is addicting for me. I'm always stunned to see how clouds/fog move around over time.

I find when I fly my drones I enjoy racing them around obstacles in the fields. I make sure I am away from all people and property. I usually find a football field somewhere that is not butting up to anyone's yard and fly there. There are plenty of those around here. Or I'll go out to my parents farm and fly out there. I am very careful not to piss anyone off or bring attention to myself. I have at times found state parks and flown outside of them where there is still some beauty to get some beauty from them. I just got two new drones in the last month a Mavic Mini 2 and an Air 2S. Before I was flying a Phantom 4 Pro and Mavic Mini. So I have made some upgrades to my fleet this year. I do plan to fly those drones this year for fun. But my primary drones have moved to the Air 2S and Mini 2. The nice thing about the Phantom 4 Pro is that it has a mechanical shutter and it has 5 sided obstacle detection. Even the Air 2S doesn't have that except for side detection.

I have an Air2S and 8 batteries. I really enjoy creating hyperlapse videos but they take time and batteries. I can make a 15 second hyperlapse (+/- 375 images at 2 second interval) if I have a full battery at the beginning of the flight. I often use all 8 batteries in a session. A few batteries to create some hyperlapse waypoint missions and then the rest of the batteries to actually capture the imagery. Not all my hyperlapses are waypoint missions...but they usually require the least amount of stabilization (Premier Pro - Warp Stabilizer) during editing so I always try to get a few in. Here is an example of some of the hyperlapse videos I have done lately. I am lucky to live in a beautiful part of CA and all these hyperlapses were shot within 10 miles of my house. Shooting drone hyperlapse is addicting for me. I'm always stunned to see how clouds/fog move around over time.

Very cool, the above the fog shots are pretty awesome.

Was that a PLANE shadow at 0:34 ?
Being a hyperlapse it could have been a random cloud I guess.
Just wondered if you noticed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne