DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What do you set your UAV Forecast gusts at?

Dbez1

107 Pilot
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Well, I sold my MM in 2 days (for $375 on Craigslist) and my Air2 arrives tomorrow. I picked up a DJI refurbished one on eBay (free shipping and free returns). I provide this information for the benefit of others.

My real question is: where do you experienced Air2 pilots set your UAVF wind gusts at 200’? I had mine set at a conservative 20mph for my MM. I’m hoping the Air2 should be somewhere north of that. I consider myself an experienced but somewhat conservative pilot. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Droniac
I set mine around 17m/s - I don’t know if it only happens in Australia but UAV always overstates the wind by about double. I have compared readings at our Bureau of Metearolgy stations and the Airdata logs. And they are always way under.

This drone handles 10m/s (22.3mph - specified limit in the manual) easily. I’d be confident with it at more, but I don’t really fly much when the wind is up around there anyway as it’s too windy for me to enjoy it personally. Guess my own limits are less then that of the MA2. But if I have a flight I really want to do I’d confidently fly it at that limit.

Anything over that I would have to have very good reason for the shot. I’d call my absolute max 15m/s gusts and/or 12 m/s wind. That’s double checking my Australian Bureau of meteorology readings.

I don’t know how accurate UAV is in other parts of the world.

Reactions: Cobber
Volition, I’m with you on not enjoying being out in 20+mph winds. It’s not so bad sitting in a nice warm car though ?. I’m thinking that 20mph at ground level would often be significantly higher at 200’ though.

24 MPH @ 50 feet. Then I check it at 100, 150 and 200 feet (depending on planned altitude for the flight).

Reactions: Dbez1
I also have mine set at 20 mph at 100 feet.. doesn't mean I wont fly at a little higher , but not much.

Reactions: Dbez1
I set UAV for 25mph at 100 ft with 30mpg gusts. Barring terrain features, natural or otherwise, I've found that offers me the best representation of the environment I'm going to fly. Usually a lower wind speed closer to the ground but let's me know if I might run in to problems due to changes in my flight altitude or sudden changes in the weather. I could be wrong but it seems that by doing it that way gives me an idea of what COULD happen, kind of an early warning system.

Reactions: Drgnfli and Dbez1
My UAV setting: Max Wind 19 mph at 200 ft (include gust checked)

I set mine around 17m/s - I don’t know if it only happens in Australia but UAV always overstates the wind by about double. I have compared readings at our Bureau of Metearolgy stations and the Airdata logs. And they are always way under.

This drone handles 10m/s (22.3mph - specified limit in the manual) easily. I’d be confident with it at more, but I don’t really fly much when the wind is up around there anyway as it’s too windy for me to enjoy it personally. Guess my own limits are less then that of the MA2. But if I have a flight I really want to do I’d confidently fly it at that limit.

Anything over that I would have to have very good reason for the shot. I’d call my absolute max 15m/s gusts and/or 12 m/s wind. That’s double checking my Australian Bureau of meteorology readings.

I don’t know how accurate UAV is in other parts of the world.
I set mine at 32 k/h at 75m, but have thought that was probably too restrictive. Your comments about UAV overstating the wind are enlightening. At what height do you set it at 17m/s?

I tend to agree with that. I have mine set at 20mph and more often than not I get no 'windows' during the day which are green (because forecast wind is more than 20mph) yet even when there is hardly a 'breath of wind'. Even though I set my location to my suburb and the map shows my suburb the app displays Sydney NSW so not sure if the data is for my area (40 miles/60 km away) or for Sydney. Currently it indicates winds with gusts to 12 MPH yet the tall trees near me are not moving at all and acoording to the internet wind at 8-12mph "Leaves and small twigs in constant motion. Wind blows up dry leaves from the ground. Flags are extended out." NOT happening at all.
The (Australian) BOM only gives a general forecast for the entire day and also probably for Sydney rather than the Blue Mountains,
Not sure if I had read about Airdata which I will now register with and have a look. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: Cobber
Well, I sold my MM in 2 days (for $375 on Craigslist) and my Air2 arrives tomorrow. I picked up a DJI refurbished one on eBay (free shipping and free returns). I provide this information for the benefit of others.

My real question is: where do you experienced Air2 pilots set your UAVF wind gusts at 200’? I had mine set at a conservative 20mph for my MM. I’m hoping the Air2 should be somewhere north of that. I consider myself an experienced but somewhat conservative pilot. Thanks.
Is this UAV setting something you set in the regular version or an upgraded paid version?

Reactions: ReDave
Top of screen MAX WIND (enter you speed preference) WIND ALTITUDE (enter you preferred altitude WIND GUSTS (select by left mouse click in the 'radio button'). I believe that UAV uses the column marked WIND when gusts is not selected and the column marked GUSTS when it is.

Reactions: ReDave
Top of screen MAX WIND (enter you speed preference) WIND ALTITUDE (enter you preferred altitude WIND GUSTS (select by left mouse click in the 'radio button'). I believe that UAV uses the column marked WIND when gusts is not selected and the column marked GUSTS when it is.
Thanks, so this is not in the DJI Fly app then, right? I don't see anything about wind.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown