DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What do you think you are doing? This is a No-Drone Zone…

YAY!!!

I found this thread.

Just had my first one today, open field flight, standing on a public footpath, farmer comes by on his tractor (yes really.)

"Wot you doing with a drone?"

"Taking nature photographs."

"You're flying on my land.....(yes, really)"

"I'm flying above your land sir, in accordance with all relevant CAA laws and guidelines."

"I see it again, I'll shoot it out of the sky."

And that's why I googled "The effective range of a 12 bore shotgun." :)
My reply would be go ahead. It is all on video and gps location tracked and the authorities will be super thrilled to come take away all of your guns and your freedom because you are dumb enough to infringe upon mine so f$&@ off.

This is exactly why I always fly stealth, hidden adequately to mitigate being seen or questioned. In 6yrs of flying DJI craft I've never had anyone hassle me in over 2000mi and 200hrs of flight time (knock on wood). Exposing yourself when flying recreationally invites confrontations, regardless if you're flying legal or not.
I agree with this. Even when following rules to the letter, I still prefer to fly stealth and as far from people as I can lol. In my 44 years I've learned that no matter how right you are or how polite you are or if you have assortment of licenses and permissions or ...input whatever might be the case .... - there will always be a person who will make it his business to interfere, to argue, to ruin the fun for you. There a lot of people who indeed have nothing else to do in life, but to fight, argue and make other people suffer. They find pleasure in that process and nothing you can show or tell them changes that.

I'm also a stealth flyer. Drones have a bad reputation because some jackasses ruined it. How is flying a drone different from someone blasting music at the national parks?

I'm also a stealth flyer. Drones have a bad reputation because some jackasses ruined it. How is flying a drone different from someone blasting music at the national parks?
Depends on how you fly it.

Way different. For the most part, unless you are very nearby, my Platinum is not going to bother anyone with noise.

Mike

That's the issue, too many unthoughtful drone pilots have probably flown their drones too low, too close, at popular spots in National Parks when people are around.
As a bushwalker I am very aware of why people go to these park to escape the outside world.

There are plenty of places in National Parks no doubt that one could fly remote, film some great things, and not be a problem, but it takes only a small % of drone pilots to fly in those busy places to create a lot of negative feedback and have bans put in place.
Once the bans are in, there is very little incentive for parks authorities to remove them.
A shame as it's often a blanket ban on all parks in an entire country, or in Australia's case, most states.

Reactions: slozukimc
This is exactly why I always fly stealth, hidden adequately to mitigate being seen or questioned. In 6yrs of flying DJI craft I've never had anyone hassle me in over 2000mi and 200hrs of flight time (knock on wood). Exposing yourself when flying recreationally invites confrontations, regardless if you're flying legal or not.
FULLY agree!!!

I do the stealth thing now too. I just find it easier not to be confronted at all, rather than making it obvious your the one flying the drone. I also stand in places where my location isn't readily visible by anyone. I use my Mid size Air2S when I'm going to fly where there is a higher density of people than normal. It's less obtrusive, quiet and doesn't seem to cause as much alarm. I also have a small bag for it, that looks like a six pack cooler, and not something a drone would be carried in. I just look like any other civilian when walking around. Of course I carry all my paper work. I only present it when asked. I've interacted with police maybe 5 times since I started flying 2 years ago. They have never asked for paper work. They just wanted to know why I was flying the drone. It's like they don't realize it's just a fun thing to do. Maybe drug dealers pick up money and drop off drugs with them in the bad parts of town. Who knows. That would make an interesting news article.
I do all that, kind of hide out in the open. I try not to look like being sneeky or spying. I always answer questions about flying and try to engage the questioner in the actual flight. Never had a negative interaction. Also at times I fly high and rely on zoom in post. Depends on the situation. If I feel I am running the risk of intruding, I probably would be, so I change my plan on the run.

Reactions: ScottTX
I agree with the stealth method, but the orange vest is an interesting idea.

I typically fly straight up quickly out of audible range if possible (easier in noisy areas) and fly my missions away from the launch area. On return, I ascend, RTH high, drop down quickly. When necessary, I move locations between flights to confuse any followers.

I prefer not to interact with anyone. I got a plan, a mission and don’t need any distractions or delays from the Ken’s and Karen’s.
So "KEN" has been added to "Karen"? That makes me sad as a new drone pilot :I

KEN Hecker

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser