DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What does a swollen battery look like?

Skyelf

Reactions
I've read most of the threads about swollen batteries, but I'm wondering...just what does a swollen battery look like? I flew this morning then took the battery out to charge and noticed that the battery looked like this...I honestly don't recall what it looked like before. Is this slight curvature indicative of swelling? Thanks!

dji-battery-jpg.116344

I've read most of the threads about swollen batteries, but I'm wondering...just what does a swollen battery look like? I flew this morning then took the battery out to charge and noticed that the battery looked like this...I honestly don't recall what it looked like before. Is this slight curvature indicative of swelling? Thanks!

dji-battery-jpg.116344
You didn’t add your picture but it will puff out at the bottom .
Like set a cold battery on a flat surface and try and spin it. Then do
the other. It will spin like a top. Check in the app the battery cells and see if they are even. I have one that is off a little and does swell when it gets hot but only use it to upgrade firmware or power on to mess
with my settings. If one swells to much it is possible to pop
out .

Reactions: Thomas B
Hmm..thought I had the photo attached. Here it is. Not sure if you can tell anything from this photo.

Thanks for that info. :)

View attachment 116348
Yeah it looks puffed out to me and would not fly with it. It could like I said make it pop out from the retaining slots and come out then down comes your drone.

Thanks for confirming. Yeah, I definitely don't want to fly with a battery that's not healthy! I'll get new ones and use these for upgrades, etc. Much appreciated!
You can push on it. It will feel spongy.

You might get away with the swelling on that battery since the swollen part is recessed from the outer shell which provides a buffer.

On the M2 battery, the bottom is completely flat so any swelling will not have it flat anymore.

K. This is my Mavic Pro Platinum...it's probably 3 years old but I've not had much flite time lately :-( I'll keep a good eye on it and use caution! Thanks!

A good battery will be flat on the bottom. The swelling/puffing should be noticeable and not used. The heat generated when used will increase the bulge.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Thanks for confirming. Yeah, I definitely don't want to fly with a battery that's not healthy! I'll get new ones and use these for upgrades, etc. Much appreciated!
I always set it flat after flying then tap the edge. If it rocks at all, it's bulging. I purchased a Mavic 2 Pro the day it came available. I've had to decommission 3 batteries already. Same amount for my Phantom 4 pros. They are pricey but not as pricey as a drone, not to mention what catastrophe could happen should the drone fall out of the sky.

I had a few of those and like the other pilots say, i just use them for ground operations. I also had a 4th aftermarket battery have one side of the securing clip fall apart. I replaced the four of them with DJI brand batteries. I have 3 for each of my M1P's that are all good. In my case i was the one at error. When i was done flyng I would charge the batteries and then put them away. Now i make it a point to only store them at about 40-60%.

dji-battery-jpg.116344
Hello,
I had a bad habit of keeping my batteries fully charged. This cause my 2 x Mavic 2 Pro batteries swollen. Bought new one and kept these swollen batteries at a safe place. After 6 months I was just cleaning things when I noticed that these 2 are back to normal that is no swelling seen. I asked a local DJI dealer if these could be used, he advised me to charge them to full and fly over a mattress indoor till 20% is left and check. I did the same thing and 1 of them got swollen again so discarded that but other 1 is still working fine.

Hmm..thought I had the photo attached. Here it is. Not sure if you can tell anything from this photo.

Thanks for that info. :)

View attachment 116348
Yes, this is swollen battery. Don't know if this is inserted inside drone or clipped from the top. But if done forcefully, will likely to cause damage to drone locks.

A fat kid that had too my cupcakes. Lol. For the most part they are usually noticeable. A little more rounded than flat in area that are cut out of battery not covered by plastic. I had one swell and popped the two plastic corners at the end of the battery.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topcomons