DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What Does BKWD unavailable on DJI Air 2S Mean

Ranger#1

Reactions
What Does BKWD unavailable on DJI Air 2S Mean? Has anyone seen this on their DJI Air 2S? How do you fix the issue. Is this a Vision Sensor Calibration issue?
Reggie

I would assume BKWD is BacKWarD. Backward sensor issue maybe? It might just be dirt covering the sensor if that is what it is.

Reactions: Ranger#1
@Ranger#1 i think that @TheSnowyPilot may be right with his backward sensors reply
there are many reasons why the sensors are not on from dirt on the lenses to a particular mode that you are flying the drone in ,the sensor icon on the screen should show you whether the sensors are active or not i believe

DJI Support suggests this solution:

"Can you please try to uninstall and reinstall the DJI Fly app on your mobile device to see if the issue persists? If you still receive the error message, kindly please download the DJI Assistant 2 software and update/refresh the firmware of the aircraft then calibrate the vision sensor using the software. In addition, IMU calibration might also help "

If this fails then you should either return to seller or DJI for repair.

In certain wind conditions I have seen something like that on my Air 2. Does it occur all the time?
Thanks for your response! No, this has never happened to me before, First-Time! Yesterday Thursday evening, I was located in the Santa Cruz summit mountains elevation abt 1500ft, I was trying to catch sunset with overcast clouds. It may have been windy, cold, foggy with overcast clouds. I was flying at 150ft elevation taking a sunset video and doing a Hyperlapse on clouds and sunset in California. I noticed a half red bar next to GPS on Remote Control monitor. I bought my DJI Air 2S in May 2021. I have "Never" done a GPS Calibration or a IMU-calibration, or a Sensor Motion calibration sense I've had my DJI Air 2S. No issues! So today is Friday morning, some overcast clouds at home. I turned on Remote Control First, then turned on my DJI Air 2S drone. I Noticed there was "No Red Bar light", No "BKWD" unavailable was shown on my Remote Control this time. Very interesting! So what should I do? Should I go ahead a do a GPS, IMU calibration anyways? Your Thoughts! reggie

I would assume BKWD is BacKWarD. Backward sensor issue maybe? It might just be dirt covering the sensor if that is what it is.
Thanks for response! No, this has never happened to me before, First -Time. Yesterday Thursday evening, I was located in the Santa Cruz summit mountains elevation abt 1500ft, I was trying to catch sunset with overcast clouds. It may have been windy, cold, foggy with overcast clouds. I was flying at 150ft elevation taking a sunset video and doing a Hyperlapse on clouds and sunset in California. I noticed a half red bar next to GPS on Remote Control monitor. I bought my DJI Air 2S in May 2021. I have "Never" done a GPS Calibration or a IMU-calibration, or a Sensor Motion calibration sense I've had my DJI Air 2S. No issues! So today is Friday morning, some overcast clouds at home. I turned on Remote Control First, then turned on my DJI Air 2S drone. I Noticed there was "No Red Bar light", No "BKWD" unavailable was shown on Remote Control. All is Normal Now! I turned Remote Control On & Off a second time again! "NO issues all Normal. Very interesting! So what should I do? Should I still go ahead and do a GPS, IMU calibration anyways? DJI Air 2S is Not Requiring a calibration, It says all Normal on calibration. Your Thoughts! reggie

@Ranger#1 i think that @TheSnowyPilot may be right with his backward sensors reply
there are many reasons why the sensors are not on from dirt on the lenses to a particular mode that you are flying the drone in ,the sensor icon on the screen should show you whether the sensors are active or not i believe
Thanks for response! No, this has never happened to me before, First -Time. Yesterday Thursday evening, I was located in the Santa Cruz summit mountains elevation abt 1500ft, I was trying to catch sunset with overcast clouds. It may have been windy, cold, foggy with overcast clouds. I was flying at 150ft elevation taking a sunset video and doing a Hyperlapse on clouds and sunset in California. I noticed a half red bar next to GPS on Remote Control monitor. I bought my DJI Air 2S in May 2021. I have "Never" done a GPS Calibration or a IMU-calibration, or a Sensor Motion calibration sense I've had my DJI Air 2S. No issues! So today is Friday morning, some overcast clouds at home. I turned on Remote Control First, then turned on my DJI Air 2S drone. I Noticed there was "No Red Bar light", No "BKWD" unavailable was shown on Remote Control. All is Normal Now! I turned Remote Control On & Off a second time again! "NO issues all Normal. Very interesting! So what should I do? Should I still go ahead and do a GPS, IMU calibration anyways? DJI Air 2S is Not Requiring a calibration, It says all Normal on calibration. Your Thoughts! reggie

DJI Support suggests this solution:

"Can you please try to uninstall and reinstall the DJI Fly app on your mobile device to see if the issue persists? If you still receive the error message, kindly please download the DJI Assistant 2 software and update/refresh the firmware of the aircraft then calibrate the vision sensor using the software. In addition, IMU calibration might also help "

If this fails then you should either return to seller or DJI for repair.

Maybe fog going over the back sensor then?

Maybe fog going over the back sensor then?
Hopefully not on the inside because the drone might have to be disassembled to repair that. That's the reason I try not to expose my drone to drastic temperature changes. (Like from inside an air-conditioned building straight into the blazing Florida sun.)

Worse would be going from hot muggy outdoors into cold AC indoors which can end up with condensation.
Exactly, especially here in Florida where humidity is high a lot of the time.

That sounds… Unfun.
Better than the freezing cold. Lol. Not exactly for flying, but personally, I'd rather flying from the shade, than having to wear gloves to fly.

I just realized that it's most likely not condensation because it would have happened on all of the sensors and the camera filter too not just the backward facing sensors...

I just realized that it's most likely not condensation because it would have happened on all of the sensors and the camera filter too not just the backward facing sensors...
Must be a special type of incredibly awkward mist.

Hopefully not on the inside because the drone might have to be disassembled to repair that. That's the reason I try not to expose my drone to drastic temperature changes. (Like from inside an air-conditioned building straight into the blazing Florida sun.)
I THINK I'm Okay Now! But I'm heading up to same location today noon time. I will launch drone again., just to see what happens once I launch! I'm still debating to either do a full GPS, MUI, Motion Sensor calibration, but I'm getting different feed backs 0n Youtube as to when to do a calibration. Not sure who to trust...LoL...reggie

I THINK I'm Okay Now! But I'm heading up to same location today noon time. I will launch drone again., just to see what happens once I launch! I'm still debating to either do a full GPS, MUI, Motion Sensor calibration, but I'm getting different feed backs 0n Youtube as to when to do a calibration. Not sure who to trust...LoL...reggie
Great! Happy to hear!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom