DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What happened to my drone? Still under water.

Super doubtful. Just not enough metal content within the Mavic. Worth a try , but dont get your hopes up too high. I hope you prove me wrong. :)

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Thank you... Here's the .DAT

Do your thing
I'm not entirely sure but I think there was a rightBack propulsion problem. Either the prop came off or it broke. There was an initial pitch up (green) , roll CW (red) and yawing CW(blue) - all consistent with a rightBack propulsion problem.

The FC began commanding the rightBack at 100% indicating that it had lost propulsion. The leftFront was reduced to 9% to compensate for the reduced rightBack propulsion.

The buoy in the water ahead of the MA was about 94 meters from the MA.

The motors shut down because of the roll angle. This from the eventLog stream.

204.369 : 11193 [L-FMU/FSM]near ground
205.086 : 11229 [L-FDI][CTRL]: fault on , tilt_ctrl_fail
205.106 : 11230 [L-FMU/MOTOR] Stop. reason:roll over or atti fail

Last edited:
So I just got back from my search and rescue mission. Haven't rescued anything yet, but did a whole hell of a lot of searching.

Scoured the seabed for 4 hours. Used a cast net, a magnet, a homemade coat hanger treble hook, free dived, walked shallow areas, just about everything. Problem is, I think the MA rolled in to the channel. The bottom is a mix of hard pebble and soft silt, the transition from silt to pebble happens on the edge of the channel. (I know from personal experience... today lol) so following the current (which is STRONG) it would have rolled down the side of the channel and gotten stuck in the bottom, not able to make it up the other side... then, more than likely, move up stream with the current, deep down inside the channel. FML.

Getting back to the thread though... It appears that maybe it is not me who is at fault. As I've said before, and as the log states, I missed it. I'm extremely familiar with the area, and the odds for impact are beyond insane.

I've gotta hit the hay, I'm pooped and pissed.
Having a friend possibly stop by tomorrow with his Phantom to help with aerial recon. Maybe that'll be the game changer.

Bump please. Calling for @sar104

Sorry for the delay. It's been a busy weekend in New Mexico Search and Rescue.

@BudWalker's explanation is correct as far as I can see. The sudden speed increase on the rear right motor is characteristic of losing a prop, and the resulting attitude excursion is also consistent. If you recover it then I would expect the rear right prop to be missing.

Thank you @sar104 for chiming in. I understand being busy.

I'm still waiting on a response from DJI. I'm hoping they see the fault and man up... I really don't want to have to go back and forth with them.

After 4 hours searching Saturday, nothing. :(

...I'm still waiting on a response from DJI. I'm hoping they see the fault and man up... I really don't want to have to go back and forth with them...
If the logs indicate a lost prop I would be very surprised if DJI accepted any responsibility for this.

Reactions: Shon
If the logs indicate a lost prop I would be very surprised if DJI accepted any responsibility for this.
Don't say that...

I check my props before every flight, was flying VLOS, not in sport mode, following all guidelines...

I guess I'll stop holding my breath just in case though, don't wanna pass out.

...I check my props before every flight, was flying VLOS, not in sport mode, following all guidelines...
I'm not saying it's your fault but if all you have are the logs and they do not show a DJI fault, I would be surprised if they took responsibility. They are not shy to use the PILOT ERROR stamp when there is no evidence to the contrary.

For the record, I think it sucks and I am sorry for your loss.

I feel you bro, sorry for your loss.

Mine also drowned at sea but fortunately I was able to save it and still flying it today without problems.

Good luck, I hope you can still save yours.

I feel you bro, sorry for your loss.

Mine also drowned at sea but fortunately I was able to save it and still flying it today without problems.

Good luck, I hope you can still save yours.
There's no saving it, it's strictly a recovery mission at this point.

I've gone as far as calling the local Flight Academy to see if they can fly over the area... I'm getting desperate.

Edit: only thing I haven't done is called a dive shop, but I'm trying to spend as little as possible in recovery so I can replace it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB