DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What Happens When Drone Hating Neighbor Gets One Of These

I have a friend who owns a gun range and a drone came over his property and hovered about 50 ft off the ground long enough for him to walk back to his office and retrieve his 12 gage shot gun and walk back under it... 00 buck took it down.... he would not let the operator on his property to retrieve it.... he called the FAA and they came and picked it up for him. No charges.... I am not making this up.

I am not surprised. All of the cases I'm reading about seem to end up with the shooter not being charged with any crime (even though it is a crime).

The FAA doesn't really seem to care actually. I doubt they would unless the shooting of the drone results on it landing and injuring or killing a person. But I bet in that case they charge the pilot with penalties for flying over people.

Danger is to those downrange, even miles away. I remember a third grader collapsing in the playground of the TX school where my parents taught... it was due to being struck by a 22 caliber round fired upward from the creek bottom about a mile or two away.

• Wow
Reactions: Mavrick77
Danger is to those downrange, even miles away. I remember a third grader collapsing in the playground of the TX school where my parents taught... it was due to being struck by a 22 caliber round fired upward from the creek bottom about a mile or two away.
What are you talking about man? It's a radio.

25333.jpg

Found this interesting-

Local manufacturer unveils lightweight anti-drone gun
Fly higher

What happens is they go to Federal Prison if the use it.

18 U.S. Code
§ 32 makes it punishable by fine and incarceration up to 20 years for anyone "with the intent to damage, destroy, or disable any such aircraft". And yes, drones are legally aircraft in the U.S.
Fat chance a prosecutor decides to put anyone in jail for this.

This is a new kind of "shooting" though. There is no "projectile" involved as has been the case in prior UAV shootings. This claims to be a focused EMF generator . Or maybe it could be argued in court that there were actually trillions of tiny projectiles. We shall see...?...
It would breach FCC laws as it needs to broadcast. Anyone using could be cracking rocks and sleeping next to Big Bubba in a penitentiary.

Fat chance a prosecutor decides to put anyone in jail for this.

Actually, the FCC would have zero problem busting and prosecuting someone who uses this. Unlike the FAA, the FCC actually has an enforcement arm called The Enforcement Bureau (Enforcement).

So yea, they'll go after anyone who uses something like this.

What Happens When Drone Hating Neighbor Gets One Of These

Like other's have said, here in the United States, if your UAV has an "N" number, then it's a registered aircraft and a Federal Charge should be filed.

What other's don't talk about are State & Local charges.

At the very least it's "Criminal Damage to Property".
It is unlawful here in the States to intentionally damage anyone's property, (drone, car, house, fence, boat, etc.). And, depending on your State, anything over $300 of value is a "Class 4 Felony" !!

For property damage of under $300, criminal damage to property is Class A Misdemeanor. ... For property damage that is greater than $300 but less than $10,000, then the charge is a Class 4 Felony, which can result in a term of 1 to 3 years in the Illinois Department of Corrections (prison).

There is no circumstance that exonerates someone from breaking the law and damaging your property. Whether you parked on his land, and he beat the heck out of your car with a hammer, or he shot down your drone because you flew over his property.
Slashing tires, permanent marker on a white house, keying a car, kicking a field goal with your drone after you land it, it is ALL "Criminal Damage to Property".

Other's post stories, (without links), of guys pulling out a shotgun and shooting down a UAV.
Then post the shooter was "Not Charged" - eyeroll

Lastly, of the 1000 "gun shoots drone" stories out there, they couldn't have all taken place in the "middle of nowhere", and most municipalities, have an ordnance against "discharging firearms" within the city limits. (another charge)

There are all kinds of charges that could be filed, including "Disorderly Conduct".

So your neighbor shoots down your drone, then you set his car on fire.
The cops let you both go because you both had a "good reason" for breaking the law ??
(I don't think so)

I have a friend who owns a gun range and a drone came over his property and hovered about 50 ft off the ground long enough for him to walk back to his office and retrieve his 12 gage shot gun and walk back under it... 00 buck took it down.... he would not let the operator on his property to retrieve it.... he called the FAA and they came and picked it up for him. No charges.... I am not making this up.
That guy sounds like a real *******.

Like other's have said, here in the United States, if your UAV has an "N" number, then it's a registered aircraft and a Federal Charge should be filed.

Actually very few drones have "N" numbers. The vast majority have "FA" numbers.

Also, they don't have to be registered to be considered aircraft. Pirker's wing wasn't registered, and it was the case that the NTSB ruled on that made our drones and r/c actual aircraft. From the Huerta v. Pirker we not have the protection from 18 USC 32.

I see you have missed the point.

Did you understand the part about Criminal Damage to Property?
Your thoughts on that please.

Actually, I didnt' miss the point, I correctly your error.

As far as criminal damage, that's varies from state to state. Even from locale to locale. So it's rare I deal with that. I prefer to work things from the Federal Level down.

Until 18 USC 32 is used criminally against someone who attacks a drone or drone pilot, I'll continue to beat that drum.

Must admit... if someone had a drone they didn’t want... and invited me to experiment with that device on it, it’d be fun to check it out. And on various other things! Hooning car ECU, speed camera (the irony - but both would be fun). Teen phone-addicts mobile as they wander about not looking at anything... Oh, the list goes on!

I see you have missed the point.

Did you understand the part about Criminal Damage to Property?
Your thoughts on that please.

It also matters who you know.

Real story from 16 years ago. My grandparents have very small property around their home.

New neighbor moves in next door. Immediately new neighbor starts property dispute, saying my grandparents shed is on his property he just bought. They stack their wood against the shed for fireplace in winter, guy gets pissed. He takes the wood and throws it at their house, breaks a window, wood goes inside house. Very nice and expensive stained glass bay window too, easy $1000 to replace

They call police. Police tell the guy he can't throw wood at their house but refuse to let them press charges against him, tell them "there's not much we can do, this is a civil dispute".

Later it turns out that this new neighbor is son of their town mayor.

So it really depends who you are against when it comes to damage to property.

Also btw he ended up suing my grandparents and they lost 2/3rds of the property they owned for 40 years and had to have the shed removed and the deck on their home torn down.

Totally a scam but they are not wealthy and his family rich and connected so you know how that goes.

Don't think you'll see these or anything like them at Best Buy or on Amazon any time soon. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54